Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALDI cycling jackets next Thursday

Options
  • 23-09-2006 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

http://www.aldi.ie/ are selling cycling jackets and jerseys next thursday made by cranesports.
    anybody know if they are any good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

My experience of Lidl and Aldi is that you really get what you pay for i.e. not much.
    Having said that, it's worth going and having a look at the items. If they feel solid enough then they are worth buying. I bought an Altura jacket and the wind repellent part is really helpful in preventing chills.

If the overshoes seem good then I'd recommend getting them. I used to have galoshes that were great at keeping my feet dry and warm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

See here for more details - Gloves & lights available too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

I got a lot of that stuff last year. All the clothing is great and fantastic value for money compared to brand name stuff. The lights and stuff and alright, the light itself is grand but the mounting brackets included are terrible so it's not worth getting. I'll certainly be popping in to get some gear for the winter.
    EDITL p.s. what's a "self centering" disc brake??

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Simona1986 wrote:
    I
    EDITL p.s. what's a "self centering" disc brake??

One that rubs on both sides...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Those overshoes say they fit over cycling shoes, so are there holes in the bottom for clips? I wanted a fully sealed one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If they are the same as last time then yep, they have the holes for your clips.
    That said, last year they only had up to size 8 or something crappy like that.

The jacket looks different to last years one, I got both the over one and the warmer, fleece like one last year and find them good, the warm one is not waterproof though.

Also, the wet gear trousers last year were terrible, any sort of driving rain and they let in, badly.
    I also found that the meshy lining pulled away very easily when putting your feet in.

Gloves are good though.

One that rubs on both sides...
    I don't get you, all disc brakes have a pad either side of the rotor?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

rubadub wrote:
    Those overshoes say they fit over cycling shoes, so are there holes in the bottom for clips? I wanted a fully sealed one.
    I can't imagine a (partially) open sole in the overshoes being a problem, unless the base of your shoe soles (not the sides as these will be covered) are not somewhat waterproof.

Why do you require fully sealed overshoes?
    You'd quickly rip their base from walking and foot movement on the pedals.

Simona1986 wrote:
    Yeah, but for various reasons (different wear and tear, disc moving) the disc can become un-centered.
    i.e the gap from the disc to the pad is different on each side, then when you pull the break you are basically bending the disc between the pads which is not good for it.
    Self-centering means that the disc will move so that it is equidistant from the pads, ensuring its not being bent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Kerrynoel

question is do the wicking materials really work with this aldi stuff. I know people who are not happy with walking gear they got there. There are winter cycling pants for 13 euro on sale. I cant see them going too wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

The jackets don't look too bad. Might pop in and pick up one. Sure even if they do turn out to be non rainproof at least they are only 20euro? Definitely getting some gloves though, sick of wearing those one you can get in dunnes/pennys that fall apart very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Was the lock in before? What length is it? I wouldn't use it as my main lock, but a second is always handy as a deterent.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Simona1986 wrote:

I was being flippant :-)

The "self centering disk brake" is of course total bollox.

The caliper should of course be centered manually, using the 2mm and 5mm shims thoughtfully provided by the manufacturer.

Was the lock in before? What length is it? I wouldn't use it as my main lock, but a second is always handy as a deterent.
    I have the lock from before, it's very short and also quit thin, i'd say it's easy to break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

i'll be gettin a pair of those shoe covers. god i hate wet feet in work/college. they're such a rip off everywhere else.

Hollingsworth in Templeogue have them for around €14

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I went into Aldi this evening and everything was gone. All they had left was 1bike.

I asked one of the girls if there were any cycling clothes left and she said they all sold out this morning :(

Poobags..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I went into Aldi this evening and everything was gone. All they had left was 1bike.
    Which branch were you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bibibobo

I asked one of the girls if there were any cycling clothes left and she said they all sold out this morning :(

Poobags..

went into aldi coolock at 4.30 to find all the large sized clothes whipped up. the medium jackets were slightly tight - left without buying - sick of these cheapo shops

disappointing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

The jackets don't look too bad. Might pop in and pick up one. Sure even if they do turn out to be non rainproof at least they are only 20euro? Definitely getting some gloves though, sick of wearing those one you can get in dunnes/pennys that fall apart very quickly

Sorry to put a dampner on things ,but water repellent is not waterproof.

A repellent jacket might last 20 minutes in heavy rain ,a waterproof will last the whole day ,as long as your not sweating :D

• Advertisement

I thought it was decent. Got the waterproof trousers and the winter trousers, the thermal base layer and a cycling jersey. The overshoes only went up to size 9 though. There was loads of gear in Aldi near Lifey Valley

_Brian_ wrote:
    Sorry to put a dampner on things ,but water repellent is not waterproof.

A repellent jacket might last 20 minutes in heavy rain ,a waterproof will last the whole day ,as long as your not sweating :D

Does make any difference now because like a few other I went into Aldi on Parnell st. only to be told all the gear was gone by 10am. All they had left was 3 bike computers so I got one anyway for €5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

If I was stuck for something waterproof ,I'd probably buy something in one of those camping shops .Proper waterproof gear is always expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

I always buy the Aldi and Lidl cycling and running stuff. Forget what others have said here, they are simply the best value items around (especially Aldi); they are high quality and they are reasonably priced.

If you want to be ripped off for gear, go to your nearest cycle store and pay €200-300 for one outfit. Sure you'll look the dogs balls, but you could've had 2 or 3 changes and still walked away with over half your money. Save that money and invest it in a sh1t-cool bike instead.

Does make any difference now because like a few other I went into Aldi on Parnell st. only to be told all the gear was gone by 10am. All they had left was 3 bike computers so I got one anyway for €5.
    Damn, they had no computers where I went. Do you know if they still have any left? I lost the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Pity I missed this one. I've got stuff like shorts (€10) and gloves (€3) there before and for the price I have no complaints whatsoever. And a cycling computer for a fiver!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Finn Dub

Did anyone see the bike they had for sale in any of the Aldis? Its probably a heap of crap but for 150 it seems like a good deal.

Anyone see any left anywhere in Dublin/Kildare?

They had them near Liffey Valley. Don't know if I'd buy one though.

Simona1986 wrote:
    Damn, they had no computers where I went. Do you know if they still have any left? I lost the last one.

I'd say its worth your while checking anyway. Just on a side note does any one know where I should place the sensor on the spokes? Is it as close to the Rim as possible? At the moment I have it about half way between the rim and axel and it said i was going 40kph, could be right though cos I was going quite fast at the time :)

• Advertisement

I'd say its worth your while checking anyway. Just on a side note does any one know where I should place the sensor on the spokes? Is it as close to the Rim as possible? At the moment I have it about half way between the rim and axel and it said i was going 40kph, could be right though cos I was going quite fast at the time :)
    Doest matter where you have it as long as it making a good connection and you have the correct wheel measurements setup on the unit.

Advertisement