Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALDI cycling jackets next Thursday

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

there was one bike left today in aldi on parnell street if you're still looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Enduro

The bikes are indeed a pile of rubbish, but a very cheap pile of rubbish!

I have been buying the Aldi winter cycling clothes for a few years now. Some of it is better than the stuff you'd pay two or three times the amount for in bike shops. And I really test the stuff (Losts and lots of winter MTBing).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'd say its worth your while checking anyway. Just on a side note does any one know where I should place the sensor on the spokes? Is it as close to the Rim as possible? At the moment I have it about half way between the rim and axel and it said i was going 40kph, could be right though cos I was going quite fast at the time :)
    You are better off putting it as close to the hub as possible and far away from the rim. The reason for this is simply that the magnet will pass the sensor slower and so it has an easier time registering the pass.

Have you calibrated the computer for your wheel and tyre size? This is obviously very important if you want to get accurate results! Sheldon Brown has a very good page with a calibration chart.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

blorg wrote:
    You are better off putting it as close to the hub as possible and far away from the rim. The reason for this is simply that the magnet will pass the sensor slower and so it has an easier time registering the pass.

Have you calibrated the computer for your wheel and tyre size? This is obviously very important if you want to get accurate results! Sheldon Brown has a very good page with a calibration chart.

For some strange reason the tyre size has to be set in millimeters!? So I got out the auld measuring tape and it came to 215cm which is around 2150mm, The default was 2155 so seems about right.

Also I would of thought that if the sensor was closer to the hub then it would be passing the receiver at a much quicker rate(If you know what I mean :o )

edit: Actually now the more I think of it I don't know that it woulder slower or quicker at all? I'm confused :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Circumfrence in millimetres or centimetres is pretty standard. The best way to measure is a roll test, e.g. you mark a point on the tyre and ground, roll it forward one revolution and measure the distance, although you can also calculate it pretty much fine from the marked tyre size.

The magnet will be moving slower closer to the centre of the wheel, although if it is all registering OK where you have it you probably don't need to move it. It's only going to affect reliability at higher speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

blorg wrote:
    The magnet will be moving slower closer to the centre of the wheel, although if it is all registering OK where you have it you probably don't need to move it. It's only going to affect reliability at higher speeds.

It doesnt matter where you have the magnet on your fork as it doesnt matter how quickly the magnet is passing.
    The computer is working out speed and distance based on the number of revolutions of your wheel.
    Yes the magent will move faster or slower depending on where it is, but it will not rotate any more or any less.

Advertisement