Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed on a saw...

Options
  • 23-09-2006 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

Ok this might seem like a strange one but I'm hoping someone out there might be able to give me some advice. I want to buy a saw - preferably with a rechargeable battery like you get on drills etc. I need this to cut up some timber that is going to be used as firewood. Therefore I don't need anything too fancy - just something that will cut in a (relatively) straight line. I don't fancy using the old hand saw for the whole winter. I'd prefer not to have cables around either - hence the battery idea. I don't know if such a thing is available. The timber I'm talking about is old timber that was pulled down during various batches of renovations in my mothers house - so there's nothing too heavyweight involved either.
    Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

a jig saw should do u with two batteries, will cut 4*2 pretty handy.

get rough cut blades

I see further down suggestions of power hand saws and sabre saws.

IMO both require two hands as opposed to the jig saw.
    In addition if the OP is not familair with this stuff the JS is somewhat safer.

re
    he cuts a weeks worth of fire wood in about 15 mins normally.

He is either some man or he has a very small fireplace.

Chop saws require the timber to be well supported because if the timber moves while being cut it can be V dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭armchairninja

I know you said you didnt want cables, but a friend of mine has a small chop saw, he bought it in atlantic or somewhere similar for a little less than €50, its very handy and he cuts a weeks worth of fire wood in about 15 mins normally.
    If this would not suit then i would have to agree with the battery powered jigsaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If your looking to just cut wood into smaller pieces. Then a power handsaw might be better than a jigsaw. A jigsaw would work, but they are better for cutting out shapes, curves etc, were accuracy is important.
    A power hand saw, from black and decker or similar, would cut faster, handle bigger pieces but be less accurate, ie same as a regular hand saw.
    I had a look in argos and they sell a black and decker saw and drill kit for €100. And a more powerful saw for €100. Try a local hardware shop and you will get it cheaper.
    http://www.blackanddecker.com/ProductGuide/CategoryOverview.aspx?cPath=1496.2054

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

You want a sabre saw more so that a jigsaw. A asbre saw is just a bigger and rougher jigsaw. A decent battery one would be a bit on the pricey side for what you want. I've bought stuff frrom this guy before, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BOSCH-24V-GSA24V-Pro-Cordless-Sabre-Saw-Power-Tool-NEW_W0QQitemZ150036732383QQihZ005QQcategoryZ55812QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

ircoha wrote:

He is either some man or he has a very small fireplace.

Neither, As i said earlier, it was a cheap one, so its small, hes not cutting trees, he cuts 2x4 and the like, its not that hard, u just put it on a bench, and slide the timber through, chopping at random lengths, its not that hard really if you think about it, all you need is a sharp blade.

Supporting the timber is not an issue, becuase most of the lengths are no longer than 3 or 4 feet, so its easy to hold them in place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Neither, As i said earlier, it was a cheap one, so its small, hes not cutting trees, he cuts 2x4 and the like, its not that hard, u just put it on a bench, and slide the timber through, chopping at random lengths, its not that hard really if you think about it, all you need is a sharp blade.

Supporting the timber is not an issue, becuase most of the lengths are no longer than 3 or 4 feet, so its easy to hold them in place.
    he cuts a weeks worth of fire wood in about 15 mins normally.

Where I come from, a week's worth of fire wood is enough firewood to burn in an open fire or enclosed stove for 12-16 hrs a day for 7 days. What your friend is cutting is some kindling.

However my main concern is the OP's safety.
    anyway, armchairninja, you are right as always: as my comments about the different saws are based on 40 years experience of same, wtf would I know?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

irocha I dont think using that much wood is very good for the environment. ;)
    any way chop saw can be very dangerous, if wood isnt tight to the fence it can hop and jump out of your hands.
    trying to rush through the work will increase chances of this.
    but if the same size wood is to be used for the session then an adjustable fence can be used to hold the piece.

Did I say anything about you not knowing anything??
    All i offered was my opinion, i was just tellin you how he goes about it, and i've seen it done, maybe to you its kindling, but from where i come from it would be considered firewood, hence the reason this is refered to as a discussion board, you DISCUSS things.
    I never claimed to know everything, i never even claimed to know anything, you joined about 2 months after me and have atleast 8 times the amount of posts i have, so either you no everything or like to thing you do, or else u sit onfront of your computer all day, anyway besides the point.

My opinion on the saw is that if your only cutting kindling, and not trying to deplete the rainforests and heat half the western world, then a small hop saw is what i would go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Thanks for the info guys & don't argue over it - life's too short. You've certainly given me something to think about. No matter which one I go with, safety will definitely be a consideration when it's being used. I don't want to finish up sawing off an arm or leg. Now that I've got some ideas I'll just have to go look around some hardware depts and at least I won't feel like I know nothing at all.

Advertisement