Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragonfly ID request

Options
  • 23-09-2006 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I am having a little difficulty ID'ing this bug(ger) here. I know it's a dragonfly but I have drawn a blank after checking my books. It was taken at a lake shore on Friday.

Any help with an ID would be much appreciated. Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

This is a male Migrant Hawker Aeshna mixta

The ID pointers are the small antehumeral stripes. (They're on top of the thorax/body) Also note the yellow golf tee shape at the beginning of the abdomen (tail). It's not really visible in this picture, but it's there.

This is a species that was first recorded in Ireland in 2000. It is now well established in eastern and southern coastal areas and was recorded for the first time in NI this month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Nice one Mothman, these seem well established out where I took the pic, they were everywhere. It's a lake that's probably about two miles from the coast as the crow flies.

Oddly enough though there's another lake about 1/2 mile from that one and I didn't see one there at all. There's also a bog nearby that's loaded with Common Darters, Ruddy Darters and Brown Hawkers and again not one of these lads.

I actually got your ID and another ID on another site at the same time. That guy reckoned it was a cross dressing Dragonfly (possibly a world first) as it had female markings but male colouring. There's another angle of it Here and I also put up another one with different colouration Here
    Anyway thanks very much, and I hope to see some more when springtime comes around next year.

Advertisement