Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Video tutorials

• 23-09-2006 10:26pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭

For those of you looking to learn photoshop I highly recommend Photoshop TV and Adobe Photoshop Killer Tips. Both are available as podcasts thru itunes. Both of these excellent resources have helpful tips on all things photoshop. Killer tips deals mainly with handling the program to speed up workflow and show cool tool tips etc. Photoshop TV offers more indepth tutorials on image correction etc. Essential stuff if you use photoshop!

For example here's a quick tip (ripped from one of the PS TV podcasts).
    If you have an image with a colour cast that you want to easily correct this is an easy non destructive way to do it:

1.Open your image and duplicate it onto a new layer (Ctrl + j).
    2. Apply the filter Blur > Average to the duplicate
    This converts the layer to a single colour which is the images average RGB value (or whatever channel combination you are using)
    4. Hit Ctrl + i to invert the averaged colour of the duplicate
    5. Change the blend mode of the duplicate to colour (using the combo box on top right of layer pallet or double click on the layer thumbnaill to open the layer style dialogue)
    6. Drop the duplicate layers opacity until the image looks just right.
    7. Maybe add a hue saturation adjustment layer to improve the saturation a little if needed.

The beauty of this method (and also for adjustment layers) is that the correction is applied to a seperate layer to the original so you can write an action to batch process a few images (if you've made a boo boo with white balance on a night out or something) and then go back and tweak if necessary.

I hope this new forum really goes down well, I'm looking forward to all the new tips I know you've been iching to share!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Also two other great tips I've picked up from the Photoshop guys are very handy for quick corrections.

Often people post shots here for c&c and often someone has issue with the horizon not being straight! Its a minor complaint but its an easy fix.
    To quickly and accurately correct this select the measure tool by right clicking on the eye dropper tool.

imagerotate1eh8.jpg

Find something in the image that should be either horizontal or vertical and click and drag with the measure tool along its edge. With this reference edge marked goto image>rotate canvas>arbitrary.

imagerotate2gq7.jpg

The resulting dialogue bit will have an entry already in it, this is the angle required to rotate your reference to which ever is nearest, horizontal or vertical.

imagerotate3is8.jpg

The second tip is a very handy one which can be used with pretty much everything in PS. After applying a correction or filter etc you may find that you were a little over zealous and you need to tone the effect down a bit. If you go to the edit menu right after performing this adjustment or filter (this doesn't work if you click anything else in the meanwhile so be warned) you will see an option called fade. This allows you to fade the effect you just applied and fiddle with the layer blend modes as if you actually applied the effect to a duplicated layer instead. Its been called "Undo on a slider" and I find it very useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

Just a note to say don't forget about the Radiant Vista video tutorials: http://www.radiantvista.com/video_tutorials/

They are pretty damn good.

Advertisement