Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A condom related query..

• 23-09-2006 11:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

hello all,

I'm fully aware that this isn't a medical board, so i'm not seeking medical advice as such, more looking for advice from anyone who's been in a similar position :)

my boyfriend and i had sex for the first time about 9months ago and we've been using condoms and the pill since then. I've never really had a problem with the pill, remember to take it at the same time everyday etc but condoms are an entirely different story.

I have really sensitive skin and dermatitis on my hands and things like handwashes, detergents etc really irritate my skin (this is a relatively new thing) so when i had a reaction(a thrush-like reaction) to the condoms i presumed it was to do with my sensitive skin.

so blah blah blah, i went to three different doctors over a three month period to find out why my body had reacted so badly to condoms, they all gave me different bits of advice; ie use different brands,try non-latex,maybe its 'honeymoon period cystitis', etc etc etc. i did everything they said, took anticbiotics and yet i keep having a reaction no matter what brand we use.

so my boyfriend and i have decided to think about other methods of protection. he had an std test done while i was away for the summer and he got the all clear which means i'm clear (virgin before i met him). He spoke to the doctor at the std clinic about alternative methods and the doctor told him that they weren't necessary as long as i'm on the pill.

so to cut a long story short my question is- has anyone experienced anything like this or had problems like this with condoms? We've been to so many doctors and tried to find advice in so many places but to no avail :( it's so infuriating!

thanks so much for reading this and for any advice given,
    little_green x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It does sound like you have an allergy to latex, have you at least tried the non latex ones ?
    IF you are happy that sti are not an issue for you then there is the option to rely on other forms of contraception but be aware of the failure rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Well, as you've tried non-latex, I suggest you try a "sensitive". Durex used to make one, perhaps still do. It's to do with what they use as lubricant/spermicide.

Otherwise it may be time to try alternative methods, though I suspect if you are sensitive to condoms you'll also be to IUDs etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

could the problem be pill related?

not clear from the post when the OP started taking the pill, but some of the stuff she says is relatively new

Op: perhaps the following link will help you
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/latex-allergy/DS00621/DSECTION=1

I would get a letter from my GP to go and see a good dermatologist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

so to cut a long story short my question is- has anyone experienced anything like this or had problems like this with condoms? We've been to so many doctors and tried to find advice in so many places but to no avail :( it's so infuriating!

I've had trouble with condoms. Mild allergy. Nothing as bad as yourself mind you. I tried ones that didn't have nonoxynol 9 as the spermicide (think they've stopped using that now anyway) and found that better. They're all lubricated though, so you may want to check out the ingredients in the lubricant.

Once you're on the pill and in a stable, monogomous relationship where there is no real need to use a condom IMO (ofc, the pill isn't foolproof, but you're aware of that :)).

Good luck.
    Thaedydal wrote:
    there is the option to reply on other forums of contraception

ROFL. Best freudian slip in ages. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Doh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

maybe its 'honeymoon period cystitis', etc etc etc.

Any doctor who tells you this, run out of their surgery, More than 85% of cases of cystitis are caused by Escherichia coli, a bacterium found in the lower gastrointestinal tract. Sexual intercourse may increase the risk of cystitis because bacteria can be introduced into the bladder through the urethra during sexual activity. Once bacteria enter the bladder, they normally are removed through urination. When bacteria multiply faster than they are removed by urination, infection results

However, because of the risk of the infection spreading to the kidneys (complicated UTI) and due to the high complication rate in the elderly population and in diabetics, prompt treatment is almost always recommended, simple treatment basically at your age.

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭cupsoftea

Em, that's why they call it honey moon cystitis. Very common when you first start having sex with a new partner, i.e., lots of sex, more chance of the E.coli causing a problem. And it sounds like the doc did give an antibiotic perscription.

On the other hand if it is a thrush-type thing, ie. caused by a yeast antibiotics will do nothing for you.

Next time you have a flare up, see a doc, ask for a urine sample to be sent to a micro lab. they will tell you if its cystitis or thrush. if it is its likely to be due to having lots of sex and/or the effects of the pill (your body getting used to it). if it is cystitis/thrush then it is not an allery to the condoms and you can keep using them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I agree with your debunking of Motley Crue's comments about honeymoon cystitis, this does sound much more likely to be an allergy given that the OP has a tendency towards dermatitis.

Of course, we can only throw up suggestions, and not diagnoses.

Trying condoms without spermacidal lubricant and/or plastic rather than latex may be worth a go.

There is the possibility of not using barrier methods of contraception and relying on the pill (that the OP is on), with the normal caveats and cautions as to the risks should one of the two of them catch an STI (including infections for which sexual contact is one, but not the only, way it can be passed) and then passing it on to the other. It certainly would seem from what has been said that this is a couple for which this might be a contraception choice worth considering.

Advertisement