Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD-RW drive not working properly

Options
  • 23-09-2006 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Well my DVD-RW on my laptop won't play CD's pr DVD's properly. It works for most other things - CD info - i.e. transfer of files from CD-R to my HD and it can read my vice city game disc. The problem comes when I put in a CD or DVD, the sound is rubbish on both of them. Video on DVD is fine it's just the sound is terrible - it skips like mad and is really grainy and distorted.
    Any ideas on what I should do?
    Cheers in advance,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

What is the make/model of your laptop? How old is it? Have you tried a lens cleaner disc?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thejovialhost

Dell 640m. Not quite 2months old. Where can I get one of those discs?

Actually, are you sure it is not just a sound issue? What is MP3 playback on the laptop like or other media files?

My iTunes music plays perfectly as does the media direct thing. All videos and music files on the HD play fine it's just CD's and DVD's put into the drive that are very dodgy sounding

Might just need a lens cleaner disc then, certainly can't hurt it anyway. Any computer shop will have them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I doubt it is going to be a dirty lens issue if DVD Video plays fine; you would expect video degredation. I would suspect a loose sound cable from the drive or maybe a configuration issue.

Did it ever work right?

There is a large body of opinion that CD/DVD lens cleaning is a scam; I've certainly never needed to do it with any CD/DVD player I have had (although they have had other problems.)

That's the thing i'm not sure if it ever worked right. I only put in a DVD for the first time the other day. Up to that my Vice City game was the only disc put in and that works perfectly. It's very annoying. Also the write speed of the drive compared to my friends dell 630m is embarrassing! It was very slow when I wrote a DVD

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

If it's only 2 months old I'd get Dell to fix it under warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Maca56

Hi,

I brought my laptop for reparation but they told me that my laptop can not be fix.
    i came back to france an brought my laptop in an other shop and they have descouver that Laptop lab stole me one cable and one bar of RAM....
    Thank you Laptop LAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Mod: Please don't drag up old threads. Closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement