Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transformers - 2007 movie (MERGED)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Suppose it depends on the type of Megs we get, if we get the G1 styled loon, Welker would be great, but if we get a more calculating Megs ala BW/BM, Hugo would be more suited to that role, give the role a very sinister feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm sorry, but no matter what Michael Bay and others try to say, that's not Megatron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Ger_Hankey

Actually, Hugo Weaving would make in interesting choice for Soundwave in a sequel...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,525 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

that could definitely work, his voice is not manic enough for Megatron, but that methodical Agent Smith voice would probably work well for soundwave alright

tbh, the way the decepticons are designed, they look like they wouldn't speak at all, just go around making roaring/hissing noises and mindlessly destroying stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I'd like to see Patrick Warburton do the voice of one of the Autobots and maybe Mark Hamill for one of the Decepticons, have they cast Starscream yet?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

tbh, the way the decepticons are designed, they look like they wouldn't speak at all, just go around making roaring/hissing noises and mindlessly destroying stuff

ive thought this too, and its kinda worrying me!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

o man i cant wait for this film, hopefully it doesnt dissapoint.

Reading down the lists of top fives people want to see, didnt see Devastator mentioned once , that would be sweet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

Combiners wouldn't work in the movie aesthetic. The cool thing about Devestator is that you can tell, even with the reduced detail cartoon model, that he's made up of Construction equipment. You can't tell any major alt mode features of the movie designs, Devestator would just look like a bunch of crumbled up robots joined together.

Also, I don't understand why some people defend this movie so much. Several of the characters look nothing like those they're meant to be. I don't give a **** for this "New take", there's no need for this. I wouldn't care much for a "new take" on Spider-man where he was wearing an orange frock with bananas for hands either.

I've liked almost every revision better than the original.

To wit:

jolintimshinn73ratchet3nz8.jpg

Why couldn't Ratchet look like that? I don't understand. It's so much more like the original character and still would very much appeal to the "OUR ROBOTS MUST EXPOSE LOTS OF ROBOTY PARTS" crowd.

It's the fact that for the most part, they refuse to please as many people as they can, that pisses me off. And no matter how much a blockbuster this is, it will never be *quite* the blockbuster it would have been if the designs of the bot characters were quite simply easier to relate to and more like the ones people remember from the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

In fairness to the movie designers, why would an alien robot have a human face?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Galvasean wrote:
    In fairness to the movie designers, why would an alien robot have a human face?

To give the characters the ability to express emotions. Even Johnny 5 in short circuit had human facial characteristics (robotic flaps that could act as eyebrows).

I remember reading in early pre-production that Bay wanted the audience to be able to empathise with the robots.

Then again when have we ever empathised with humans in any of Bay's films?? :p

• Advertisement

If the film is any use we will be able to empathize with the characters regardless of what they look like.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Have to agree with Rozie on this. If they're saying this is a Transformers movie (and not Bionicles, or Go-Bots or generic-action-movie-wit-big-scary-looking-aliens..er..alien-robots) then they should be making more of an effort to stay true to the original characters and their look - that Ratchet above is a perfect example of what could (and should) be done.

Let's face it, a significant portion of the audience are gonna be people who remember the show/movie from their childhood and so far, there seems very little resemblence to it. I'm sure it'll make money, but Transformers it isn't imo.

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Let's face it, a significant portion of the audience are gonna be people who remember the show/movie from their childhood and so far, there seems very little resemblence to it. I'm sure it'll make money, but Transformers it isn't imo.
    Although I understand the concern of the film not being enough like the 80s cartoon* the film makers are pretty clever here. They know us fanboys will see it regardless so they are concentrating on making it as accessible to the mainstream as possible.

*Thing is I doubt 80s style Japanese robot designs would really make much of an impact on a 21st Century audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    I disagree with this - i don't think original fans are a sizeable enough portion - not enough to make profit anyway.

The 12-18 age group will make up the majority of the audience (they are generally the biggest cinema-goers) and they couldn't care less about the original and its this crowd the makers will need to pander too, which means they can ignore as much of the original material as they like.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=120301

Megs and Prime toy protos.

I have to say I actually like both of them, I think these two will be the only movie related TFs I actually buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

strange. I dont mind that megatron as much as the other CGI renders.

-The large wings give him the more leader like qualities I am looking for in his design

-The fact his head plate actually slopes back gives the impression of a crown.

-His stance is more traditional with transformers and indicates some intelligence, unlike the crawling beastlike quality his other images have.

There is still some bad

-His face still doesnt match up..the portruding side armour plates down the front are good, but everything behind them seems to be a mess...maybe in motion they will actually work well.

-His hands are a disgrace, they are like the hands of the aliens in the original War of the worlds, they appear to very gentle things. Megatron by name aloner indicates a fist...He needs to be able to make a fist...which in this mode he cannot.

-His alt-mode...Its meant to be a a alien jet...ughhh...it looks like he's just shoved himself up under his wings and stuck his legs out...doesnt work very well. But that could be a mistake of the toy and wont be in the film...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Prime looks really good in robot form (pity about the damn flames). I'm not sure about Megs... perhaps the addition of a CANNON would help :rolleyes:

I can live without a cannon, I've gone through BW, BM etc without megs having a cannon, as long as the character is good, I'm happy.

Well if Prime can pull one out of his... Im sure Megatron can too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭GWolf

sprinkles wrote:
    Prime looks really good in robot form (pity about the damn flames). I'm not sure about Megs... perhaps the addition of a CANNON would help :rolleyes:
    Cept they all had some sort of scary blaster type weapon.

Mrgs looks like they took a gundam and forced it to mate with something from Guyver. And that head is still awful. Prime's ok though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Are these gonna be the models used in the film? Have they tied them down yet?

no, they are just the toys hasbro are whipping up, the chances of them making a 100% likeness of the movies bots would be very very costly, as down through the years TF toys will differ from the screen counterparts as far as looks go, they'll never be 100% the same.

V!alli wrote:
    I can live without a cannon, I've gone through BW, BM etc without megs having a cannon, as long as the character is good, I'm happy.

Beast Wars Megatron is a totally different character. He's more of an unruly Aristocrat. G1 Megs is a proud general. He needs the Arm Cannon, IMO. Armada Megs didn't have an Arm Canon, he's not very Megs though. RiD was really "Gigatron", and the Unicron Trilogy Megs wasn't near as Iconic.

A Shoulder Cannon has a similiar effect too, ala G2.

V!alli wrote:
    no, they are just the toys hasbro are whipping up, the chances of them making a 100% likeness of the movies bots would be very very costly, as down through the years TF toys will differ from the screen counterparts as far as looks go, they'll never be 100% the same.

It's impossible. Not just a 100% likeness(taking whatever the most show accurate toys are to be 100%) but even an 90% likeness would be pretty impossible without a huge figure. 80% Likeliness is the best you'll get with an Ultra figure, and that would be expensive.

The movie chars have "hundreds of moving parts". This worries me as the Transforming may look more like Morphing.

From what I saw in the the trailer of Prime transforming, it looked good.

Anyone read this month's empire with prime on the cover? It seems prime only comes into the film later on and doesnt have much screentime. Bumblebee has most on screen time and he dont even speaka da english!!

i hope now that they dont make most transformers mutes! I also hope scorponok isnt a drone as a previous poster suggested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Custodian

Don’t think anyone else has posted this yet... I have to say after viewing this clip - I so cant wait to see this film.

Michael Bay Site Sneak Peek clip short and sweet

Custodian wrote:
    Don’t think anyone else has posted this yet... I have to say after viewing this clip - I so cant wait to see this film.

Michael Bay Site Sneak Peek clip short and sweet

Its very like the preview that was on anniversary box set. But yeah its a great preview

Hot off the press. Check out this close up head shot of prime from the movie.

http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/29/504/1600/461625/PrimeHeadShot.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,525 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

faceman wrote:
    Hot off the press. Check out this close up head shot of prime from the movie.

http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/29/504/1600/461625/PrimeHeadShot.jpg

he's a bit birdlike now i see it up close

Advertisement