Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transformers - 2007 movie (MERGED)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭GWolf

I found a leak on youtube(down now) of the autobots introduction.

Spoilers

Ratchet souds kinda british. Ironhide is Clint Eastwood. Even says you feeling lucky punk. Good voice on him. BB starts playing a song about how great he is when he gets introduced. Prime is...well Prime, literally and figurativly. And Jazz.....Jazz has the deepest voice of any of em, deeper the Prime's and who want's to guess what his first words to the humans are

"What's cracking, little bitches".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    link?

here you go
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/THE-ELECTRIC-PLANET-SHOP_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ8510349QQftidZ2QQtZkm

i tried a few online sites and ebay was cheapest.

I see AICN has a pile of reviews, all of which are postive bar a few nutjobs. Even the anti TF talkbacker nerds on the site are positive about it. Why do we have to wait another month!!! :mad: :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Power requirements: 2 x AAA batteries (also available from Electric Planet: superior 'Science Museum' batteries - see below)

where the feck do the batteries go?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

BEFORE YOU CLICK ANYTHING! This clip may be a big spoiler so you have been warned!

Heres link to a scene where
    megatron confronts shia on the a rooftop and his a chat with him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgkFM3M5exA

i assume thats a much cut down clip (
    mainly because he goes from holding a statue to holding his flail
    ) otherswise looks and sounds good.

• Advertisement

Well, interesting voice, but a waste of weaving. I would have preferred something a bit more suave

also, is it just me or did Megatron growl?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

I have to say I love weavings voice as megatron, its cold as ice, brilliant.

i think the voice sounds cool too

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

That voice is.. terrifying! :eek:

If this review doesnt get you psyched... :D

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33214

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

No no no no no.. sorry guys but that sounded more like Dr Claw (from Inspector Gadget) than Megatron. I really AM trying to give this movie a chance, but everything I see just reinforces it for me .. this is NOT Transformers. :(

^ i cant see the comparison! Are you one of those heads who thinks its all TINO?

What is it lacking?

this is NOT Transformers.

I've accepted that since they announced Micheal Bay is making the film. Now its just GIANT ROBOTS KICKING ASS movie for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

faceman wrote:
    ^ i cant see the comparison! Are you one of those heads who thinks its all TINO?

What is it lacking?
    Well I grew up with the original series, had all the toys, and loved it. I wasn't mad about the original film - well at least not everything after the first 30 minutes - but S3/S4 had it's moments.

This new film though bears absolutely no resemblance to the show I remember (and it should right? After all, am I not part of the target demographic?) Except for maybe Prime, none of the characters look anything like they "should", the Decepticons look like "generic evil monsters", Megatron (perhaps my favourite character from the old series) looks and sounds a mess, there's far too many cheesy lines and the focus (on the humans - complete with hot chick for the teenage boys in the audience :rolleyes:) is all wrong.
    BlitzKrieg wrote:
    I've accepted that since they announced Micheal Bay is making the film. Now its just GIANT ROBOTS KICKING ASS movie for me.
    That about sums up my thoughts too. And on that level I'm sure it'll be very impressive and entertaining and I'll probably go see it, but as far as I'm concerned the only thing it has in common with "Transformers" is the the name.

Kaiser2000 wrote:

That about sums up my thoughts too. And on that level I'm sure it'll be very impressive and entertaining and I'll probably go see it, but as far as I'm concerned the only thing it has in common with "Transformers" is the the name.

hence the word TINO (Transformers in name only) If the material has matured then it cant be a bad thing, but lets not forget that the tv show (as much as I worshipped G1 as a kid) was poor at times. As a reviewer once said:

Fans of the original television series will recall there were essentially two possible plots to any Transformers episode. Plot one involved the Decepticons discovering a new way to make Energon Cubes, forcing the Autobots to have to stop them. And plot two involved the Autobots finding a new way to generate Energon Cubes, causing the Decepticons to try and stop them, forcing the Autobots to have to stop them from stopping them. Each episode ended with a melee which involved the same recycled shots of Transformers seemingly floating in midair while their blasters fired repeatedly. The Decepticons would run off with their tails between their legs – and if for some reason the Autobots were having a hard time stopping them, they would turn to their new recruit, a Transformer we'd never seen or heard from before but was, fortunately for us, available in stores that very week, who would aid in chasing the Decepticons off with their tails between their legs.

However, you know you will get a buzz of excitement when you go to see this...

This new film though bears absolutely no resemblance to the show I remember (and it should right? After all, am I not part of the target demographic?) Except for maybe Prime, none of the characters look anything like they "should", the Decepticons look like "generic evil monsters",

You should read the fanboys thread on films for better understanding of what is going on with this film.

You are not the target demographic, not by a long shot, the only thing put in this film to appeal to you is peter cullen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

My friend who lives in florida, went to see it yesterday, very jealous!!!

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    No no no no no.. sorry guys but that sounded more like Dr Claw (from Inspector Gadget) than Megatron. I really AM trying to give this movie a chance, but everything I see just reinforces it for me .. this is NOT Transformers. :(
    Seriously, go watch (or more importantly listen to) an old episode of Inspector Gadget. Then you will realise that Weaving's Megatron voice sounds NOTHING like Doctor Claw (who coincidentally enough was voiced by Frank Welker, the original voice of Megatron!).
    Weaving's Megatron sounds more like a mixture of both the original Megatron and Beast Wars Megatron voices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I don't know if anyone has seen this yet, but here is a short clip of Scorponox in action.

(Needs Quicktime)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Kaiser2000 wrote:

Megatron sounds perfect in the movie and sounds so down right evil along with his new look which really works when you see him move ;)

From your previous postings tho mate I would suggest you skip this flick and the next couple of sequels and just stick to G1 as you seem to have made up your mind about hating it.

• Advertisement

faceman wrote:
    hence the word TINO (Transformers in name only) If the material has matured then it cant be a bad thing, but lets not forget that the tv show (as much as I worshipped G1 as a kid) was poor at times. As a reviewer once said:

Fans of the original television series will recall there were essentially two possible plots to any Transformers episode. Plot one involved the Decepticons discovering a new way to make Energon Cubes, forcing the Autobots to have to stop them. And plot two involved the Autobots finding a new way to generate Energon Cubes, causing the Decepticons to try and stop them, forcing the Autobots to have to stop them from stopping them. Each episode ended with a melee which involved the same recycled shots of Transformers seemingly floating in midair while their blasters fired repeatedly. The Decepticons would run off with their tails between their legs – and if for some reason the Autobots were having a hard time stopping them, they would turn to their new recruit, a Transformer we'd never seen or heard from before but was, fortunately for us, available in stores that very week, who would aid in chasing the Decepticons off with their tails between their legs.

However, you know you will get a buzz of excitement when you go to see this...

Beast Wars matured the franchise. I'm not sure you can say this matures it. Hreard a good audio interview, kinda confirmed some suspicions. It's a great little explosion fest, that's about it. Not maturing the franchise, just doing it...I don't know, in Bay style.

this guy

http://youtube.com/user/rich68n1

uploaded four scenes from the movie. Some spoilerish issues here. Meeting autobots, some decepticon moments, Bumblebee V Barricade, Looking for the glasses

I can say without a shadow of a doubt, Starscream is hideous.

Oh, and Megs seems very biomechanical to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

ooh I enjoyed that so much, I peed my pants.

Plus, all voices out there now.

He may be a hidoeous thing but Chris Adler got the voice perfectly

Megs. Doesn;'t seem like weaving but I think it conveyed a lot of Megatron's character

ah GWolf, why you have to post those clips!! Didnt want to watch but couldnt resist!!!

interview with don murphy below. Contains spoilers
    http://www.comics2film.com/index.php?a=story&b=27854

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

People seem to have reverse rose tinted glasses when remembering the G1 series. Obviously he doesn't mean ALL, just most, but that's wrong too.

If I recall, the first episode was all about the TFs landing on earth. The next few were about them adapting to life on earth, though still pretty energon based.

Then there was the space bridge - which was the center of conflict for a few episodes.

SOS Dinobots, was all about the Dinobots, and them going wrong but saving their asses in the end.

Fire in the Sky was about Starscream's relationship with an old friend, a level of characterisation not even touched by this movie despite being rather simple.

Those are a few from the first series that come to mind. Others from the second, and possible the first too, not sure:

The Golden Lagoon - This was quite a disturbing and sad episode, can't believe how many people forget this one. Beachcomber is a guy who loves nature - it's set to the kind of plot the above describes, in the background, showing the devestating effects that kind of conflict has on the environment. Not only does it have a mature plot - it's also self referential.

The Girl who Loved Powerglide - A sweet and humorous episode centering on Powerglide.

Starscream's Brigade centered around Starscream rebelling against Megatron- entirely Decepticon internal Conflict.

Revenge of Bruticus, the same.

There are episodes dealing with Omega Supreme and his relationship with the Constructions. Episodes about Mirage playing tricks on everyone. There are episodes in S3 about Octane and his switching sides, and being genuinely afraid of Galvatron's Insanity, as well as some rather sad episodes dealing with Galvatron's insanity. Dark Awakenings was beautifully sad. Most of S3 was about the Quintessons, and was more Space Opera than anything.

The fact is most of G1 was about characterisation of the bots. I can't believe the number of idiots claiming that the G1 characters had no real personality. It's borderline delusional - the show was nothing BUT personality. Since they had to shift toys, there were loads of episodes where the characters took a break from just being quirky and they had some real insights and adventures.

But since the show was campy and had some plot error involving the constructicons(which, to be fair, is easily resolved), it's **** and the movie is infinitely better.

The G1 cartoon had a real soul, a real atmosphere. It's world and mythology was suprisingly well developed for a cartoon. It's so hard to describe to people who have no real taste for such a thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Dominatorx

While its true the Autobots had personality ...........well most of them did.
    The Decepticons were a completely different matter. With the exception of Starscream the season 1 and 2 Cons were cardboard cutout 80s cartoon villains.In season 3 that changed as the storytelling took a massive leap forward while the animation seemed to get worse every episode. Some people regard Five Faces Of Darkness as a better movie then the actual movie.

While the episodes sited by Rozie were very much character driven and quite quite good, the rest of g1 was paint by numbers bad guys get energy/doomsday weapon and good guys stop em.

Its a pity the cartoon only ever explored Thundercracker's deep disliking of the other Decepticons and apathy towards their cause in one episode. in all the others he was just a throwaway henchman. Pity, since there was potential for a great character there.

Transformers was excellent.Seen it last night.The style of the film is very simular to Bad boys two.Just don't think about the movie too much and you will enjoy it!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Wow, I can't tell you how good the film is until the middle of august. I thought that with it out on wednesday it would be on everywhere today and not held back until the 27th. I'm on holidays 18 July-16 Aug, and I don't think it'll be out in South America for a bit. Dang. Anyone know anywhere showing it? Dude above said he say it yesterday. Arghhhh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Oh crap... I just realised I'll be out of the country then as well....

Advertisement