Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future

Options
  • 24-09-2006 3:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

Any of you have ideas what you want to do in college?

What about points, what are you planning to aim for?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

My advice:

Set your aims high. Not too high.. Realistically..

And even if you dont think you'll get something, put it down on your CAO. This week in college i heard from a good few people "i didnt think i'd get the points, so i didnt bother putting it down.. but then i did! i was so annoyed!"

Also start looking at courses and prospectuses (prospecti??!) now.. cos when you've finally settled on your first choice, it feels so good..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

i wanna do business in CIT or rural enterprise and agri-business in GMIT

so, im not going for that much points, somewhere around the 300 mark...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭snapjiggyfluff

law and history in UCD, 510 last year but it will prob go up seeing as it's a new course,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

I'm aiming for 400 points, mainly because Arts in NUIG was 350 this year, and I aim to get higher than what I need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Aero787

I want to be a pilot, but college will be a laugh and I'll have a degree to fall back on if things go nose down, and sure I might even decide to make a career in engineering.

Soo................
    Aeronautical Engineering in UL (410) or Glasgow (ABBCC)
    Mechanical Engineering in UL (405), UCD (435), Edinburgh (BBBB), CIT (335), Trinity (440) or unlikely WIT, DIT and UCG.

That's what I want to do! That's my order of preference at the moment, but if I had to decide between UL and UCD for MechEng, it would be tough. UCD looks really good. I'm trying to find out now which of them do "Engineer's French". The aim is to work for Airbus (ooh, the south of France, lovely!) if I stick with engineering. I'd be happy with around 500 points because I'll probably get onto any of those courses. I'm probably not working hard enough for 600, but as long as you get on a good course, points are irrelevant.

Who else can't wait to move out from under their parents feet? (I must avoid CIT!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Alan Smith

I would like too do Journalism in Griffith College , dont expect too get 480 points so paying 5000 is my only option lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

I'm reapeating and still havent decidied yet still have ages to decide!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

My advice:

Start thinking about your CAO choices now. And I don't just mean your first choice. I was lucky, I knew what course I wanted for ages and I got it, but nearly all my friends seemed to have problems because they didn't think properly about the CAO. Decide what you would most like to do, and put it as number 1 - don't, as so many others have done, stick other courses that you don't really want down first, just because they have high points and you feel you might as well stick them down because 'you'll never get them anyway'. You might. And don't be cocky and throw down nothing but big pointers, because they're the only courses you want. If you're really that afraid of UCD Arts (:P) or level 7 courses, then be prepared to repeat, if necessary.

And, above all, remember that the Leaving Cert is 80% studying. You have all the time in the world at this stage to make up for whatever needs to be done, never assume any course is out of your reach.

EDIT: Oh, and 6th year was by far the most enjoyable year in my illustrious schooling career. There will be 18th birthdays left, right and centre, nights out all over the place and drinking yourself silly. Then the hangover gives you an excuse not to have to study during the weekend, it's great! Teachers, parents and the media talk about the exams as a year of stress and worry, but as long as you don't approach the whole thing as such, it's not in the slightest. I can honestly say I did not feel one pang of stress during the entire thing. As long as you feel you are meeting your targets, enjoy yourself during the year or it could become the worst year of your life. Every single person I know that did well in the LC went out and enjoyed themselves regularly. And - I have no idea if this is just a mighty coincidence - but the reverse was fairly true as well (everyone from my school who switched to the Institute was disappointed with their results, for example). Have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Im aiming to do Science in Trinity.

Was 415 this year but i'm hoping to get around 440 points.

Going to be tough but hopefully i'll succeed.

I hope to do Geography for the last 2 years and then go to the UK to do a masters in Meteorology.

Thats my future:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Ok, want to follow up on my earlier post.

I'm doing Arts in NUIG, because I want to be a second level teacher in French & English/German. i'm studying German is first year, and because I know some already I think i might carry that on instead of English. And I don't really mind what subject I teach, I just want to teach.

Also, if they year goes well, maybe i'll get into UL for Applied Languages which is 450 for last 2/3 years!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I've been looking at the prospectus books from DIT, UCD and Trinity. Don't really think I would go anywhere else.

I was thinking of doing BSc i Comp. Sci in UCD - have been for awhile. But I started looking at MSISS (Management Science and Information System Studies) in Trinity so now I'm not sure.

UCD seems more appealing :p Anyone know anything about MSISS?

Nehpets wrote:

'Tis generally better to ask these questions on the Trinity board :p

Have a look at these: 1, 2. Second thread is better (actually has some good information from xebec), and oddly enough had someone who was thinking about doing CS or MSISS...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Nehpets wrote:
    I've been looking at the prospectus books from DIT, UCD and Trinity. Don't really think I would go anywhere else.

I was thinking of doing BSc i Comp. Sci in UCD - have been for awhile. But I started looking at MSISS (Management Science and Information System Studies) in Trinity so now I'm not sure.

Don't forget about Computer Applications in DCU. I know you only mentioned DIT, TCD and UCD (I don't know why you would leave out DCU - travel time?), but the CA course there - I hear - is generally regarded as the best computer course in the country.

I've heard some good things about MSISS too, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Paul_D

Aero787 wrote:
    I want to be a pilot, but college will be a laugh and I'll have a degree to fall back on if things go nose down, and sure I might even decide to make a career in engineering.

Soo................
    Aeronautical Engineering in UL (410) or Glasgow (ABBCC)
    Mechanical Engineering in UL (405), UCD (435), Edinburgh (BBBB), CIT (335), Trinity (440) or unlikely WIT, DIT and UCG.

That's what I want to do! That's my order of preference at the moment, but if I had to decide between UL and UCD for MechEng, it would be tough. UCD looks really good. I'm trying to find out now which of them do "Engineer's French". The aim is to work for Airbus (ooh, the south of France, lovely!) if I stick with engineering. I'd be happy with around 500 points because I'll probably get onto any of those courses. I'm probably not working hard enough for 600, but as long as you get on a good course, points are irrelevant.

Who else can't wait to move out from under their parents feet? (I must avoid CIT!)

hey, i want to be a pilot as well, but because we know it's not possible (money?) i went to college (1st year at the moment). hope to finish college, get a job, earn some money and spend them towards ATPL. it will be a year 2014:). i hope pilots will not be replaced by computers by that time.:)
    btw, im from eiwf, do u fly in the sim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Computer Science in Trinity, 355 points, I know I can get over 500 without too much effort, but will probably push myself for the sake of it.

Me = sorted.

(Unless I see some kickass course somewhere that I just HAVE to do.)

Paul_D wrote:
    hey, i want to be a pilot as well, but because we know it's not possible (money?) i went to college (1st year at the moment). hope to finish college, get a job, earn some money and spend them towards ATPL. it will be a year 2014:). i hope pilots will not be replaced by computers by that time.:)
    btw, im from eiwf, do u fly in the sim?

Paul D,

You mean simming online? No, haven't upgraded to broadband yet and it costs too much anyway. Looking forward to the new Microsoft FS though.

What are you doing in college? Spending €50k - €150k is a bit daunting alrite with no guarantees. Anyway the degree is a good plan B if you lose your licence. That's one of the reasons I want to do it. Guys have lost their medicals, and their loss of licence insurance didn't pay out so they were screwed.

When we do get our licences, whether we end up getting PPLs or ATPLs, it will be sweet because we'll have worked hard to earn them.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Paul_D

Aero787 wrote:
    Paul D,

You mean simming online? No, haven't upgraded to broadband yet and it costs too much anyway. Looking forward to the new Microsoft FS though.

What are you doing in college? Spending €50k - €150k is a bit daunting alrite with no guarantees. Anyway the degree is a good plan B if you lose your licence. That's one of the reasons I want to do it. Guys have lost their medicals, and their loss of licence insurance didn't pay out so they were screwed.

When we do get our licences, whether we end up getting PPLs or ATPLs, it will be sweet because we'll have worked hard to earn them.

well, if your are looking forward new FS, then you should look forward buying a top of the range PC:)
    you also should join online, it's completely different experience.
    i'm doing computing in WIT. this should be the most efficient job in terms of money and that what is what i like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Don't forget about Computer Applications in DCU. I know you only mentioned DIT, TCD and UCD (I don't know why you would leave out DCU - travel time?), but the CA course there - I hear - is generally regarded as the best computer course in the country.

I've heard some good things about MSISS too, mind.

Yeah I left out DCU because of travel time. Which is unfortunate :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Having been so content on an Oorts degree with the hope of becoming a teacher for the past year, I've decided to go back to basics. I've always been told not to quit things that I'm good at, but it seems to the only thing that I've been doing throughout my life.

Therefore I'm going to mix my two talents; Economics and Computers and will most likely end up doing Business Information Systems in either Cork or NUIG.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

TR017- Computer Science, Linguistics and French. Aiming for about 470. 500 would be brilliant though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I wanna do primary teaching but I wont have the requirments ie. Honours Irish this year. Think my plan is to try and work to get as many points as possible, hopefully around 470+, then do Honours Irish next year somehow, and start college in 2008 in St. Pats.

And if that doesnt work, Im gonna try and do Arts in UCD, which I know i will get the points for, then try for a postgrad in Pats. The postgrad thing is supposed to be really difficult to get onto though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I want to do Computer science or Computing in DIT.
    DCU Computer applications good good too.
    The DIT options are geared towards industry needs i.e cisco networking
    and web application development.
    The work placement on these courses are a great idea also, a bit of experience
    never hurts.
    One thing for sure is, I aint picking these courses due to the low points.
    I am picking them because the courses appear to offer more for me than traditional CS
    courses(i dont see myself building next gen compilers;) ), or those "Business information systems" which have very little "techie" subject matter in them.
    I am not really to worried about points, the addmission requirments are more indicative of how well you would perform in a course.
    Even if i got 500+ i would still pick DIT or DCU.(not joking)
    Not that i am really lazy, but i dont see the point in busting my balls to get an insane amount of points, but rather develop and improve skills that will benefit me for a computing career, which alot if not all subjects in school, have failed to do due to their stupid level of rote learning(history anyone?)
    So i simply say "Bring it on".

Naikon,
    Yeah, as long as you can get on your course you're sorted. Your LC will be mostly irrevalent when your finished your degree. People will look at how you performed in your degree and your employability.

The thing about rote learning in the LC is that it's probably the best way to assess thousands of people all over the country. It's questionable sometimes whether people are actually learning things or just learning to repeat them. You can pick faults with every type of second level education worldwide.

LC is all about study and work. The guy who got 9 A1s last year said he had a consistant study regime for five years. Not exactly rocket science that he did a good LC. I know a guy like him, who is intelligent, but also works hard in all his subjects. I will be shocked if he doesn't get a similar result.

If someone who gets 450 points (with As/B1s in relevant subjects for the course) goes into a course alongside someone who got 600, they are on a level playing field. Person A, who didn't have a strict study regime, will excel doing the subjects that s/he enjoyed in LC. Person B will also be well equipped for the course, but will have to adapt their lifestyle and study habits to suit third-level education. And they will probably forget the useless crap (also called education) from the LC. I will end up forgetting Irish, English, and Accounting.

I can see your point.
    I understand the system is used for large-scale evaluation of performance, but each subject should have in this day and age a bit of continuous assessment
    to help ease the rote learning, and to have a bit of a backup if that very day doesent go as well as planned.
    One major exam at the end of 14 years of education is a bit outdated.
    How can someone perform in a "optimal" condition.
    I would be happy if it was more "spread out"
    Its hard to believe the exam closely resembles the original format introduced in the 1924 exam, however less people actually had on oppurtunity to take the exam.

The problem with continuous assessment and projects is that students can get help from parents and teachers, and the work isn't their own work. Therefore, they haven't really learned anything. I think they have this problem in the UK.

LC = 70% study + 20% intelligence + 10% luck
    (With a combination of luck and study, I know someone who got Cs in English during 5th and 6th year and ended up getting an A1 in the LCHL. She studied English for one week before the exam. That shows it's mostly down to study.)

I think that sort of proves my point that you can complain about any second level education system.

Aero787 wrote:
    The problem with continuous assessment and projects is that students can get help from parents and teachers, and the work isn't their own work. Therefore, they haven't really learned anything. I think they have this problem in the UK.

LC = 70% study + 20% intelligence + 10% luck
    (With a combination of luck and study, I know someone who got Cs in English during 5th and 6th year and ended up getting an A1 in the LCHL. She studied English for one week before the exam. That shows it's mostly down to study.)

I think that sort of proves my point that you can complain about any second level education system.

Your point is valid;)
    I dont really think any system is perfect, the SAT and ACT being prime examples.

Advertisement