Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mechanical Engineering

Options
  • 24-09-2006 9:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

Can you learn a language as part of your MechEng degree by doing something like a "French for Engineers" module?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

If you're under the horizons programme then you can do a language. Its really hard to get things to fit into your timetable when you're doing any kind of engineering so doing a language is handy because they usually take place in the evening or during lunch.

As far as I know the "German for engineers" only go on for a year due to the fact that in the early days you had to do a language with an engineering degree in the first year. But then you can always do German stage 2 and continue on like that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Well, I finished mech eng last year, so we weren't part of this whole horizons thingy and I can't help you much there. However engineering has long tried to appear more international, so to get your degree you have to complete a language module in first year (if you fail, you keep repeating it until final year i thinks).

There are loads of choices: french, german, spanish all have basic and advanced classes while chinese and japanese have beginners level.

I chose spanish because I had done it for 6 years in school and so it was a bit of a laugh (good way of getting to meet engineers as the classes are small), but in 4th year we were told that it is a REALLY good idea as an engineer to get to grips with some chinese.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

gubbie wrote:
    in the early days you had to do a language with an engineering degree in the first year.

I'm only in 3rd year and this made me feel really old! "The early days"??! Bah humbug &^("*&$)"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I'm only in 3rd year and this made me feel really old! "The early days"??! Bah humbug &^("*&$)"

bah, you're still an undergrad, come back to me when you're really old. Nothin but a toddler in my eyes, could be my cataracts of course :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    but in 4th year we were told that it is a REALLY good idea as an engineer to get to grips with some chinese.

Sweet looks like I choose the right thing

I was also told that in America they're promoting Chinese as the language to have over European languages as they're considered to be the new super power. And apparently they're quite short on engineers over there. But if you have a language already from secondary school I'd go with that

• Advertisement
Advertisement