Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

my boyfiriend doesn't talk to his mother

• 24-09-2006 10:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

My boyfriend has been living in Dublin for about six years having left home about ten years ago. We've been together for about five years and in that time he hasn't been in contact at all with his mother at all.

Last year we visited the village he's from and parked the car down the road from his mother's house and just sat there watching; I found it very sad as I reckon the day will come when she isn't there to talk to and I don't want him regretting it after she is gone.

We have a great open minded relationship and can talk about (pretty much) anything and I have considered talking to him about it but having been here in a previous realtionship I reckon that adults should make their own choices and I should not stick my oar in but still it's in the back of my mind. A penny for . . . .

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

You are right not to stick your oar in by telling him what to do. But has he ever even discussed his reasons for this breakdown in communication?
    I don't see why ye can't talk about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I have an immediate relation that I have made a deliberate effort not to contact in several years and whom I don't ever intend chaging that policy for.

If the day comes when I live to regret it then so be it but that's mine (and your bf's) decision to make and I'm sure for him (as it is for me) it feels 100% the right way to act presently.

If I was with somoene I'd explain my reasons why so I'm sure he will to if you ask him. Make it clear you're going to support (or at least not interfere with) what he's doing and you'll probably get full disclosure.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

It has to be said though, if he's driving to the place he comes from just to sit in his car then he would seem to be sad about it and perhaps feeling regretful. That's a shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I'm in the same situation but with my father, we don't speak and haven't in a long time. People ask me how I can be on such terms with my father and my answer is that all I can do is make sure the same situation never can happen between myself and my children, so from bad comes good. You're as well of staying out of it from my own experience...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,666 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You need to know the background. Are their any close brothers or sisters who might be able to shed light on the subject? Possibly he has good reason, possibly not. If he has been wronged, then the question would be if there's any remorse on the mother's part? Assuming she did something major.

Possibly, they just drifted apaart, but no contact for that length of time suggests an issue.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

My mother died without seeing either of her grandchildren or her greatgrandchild

Yes it will be V hard on him, I know.

Yes there are always issues, in this case is there a clue in the OP's ID of An_fhear having a boyfriend? Apologies if wrong
    I am from a rural village and that would not fly there, they dont recognise single mums.

Advertisement