Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of tenant?

Options
  • 24-09-2006 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

I am a landlady (owner occupier) and I live with possibly THE most irritating person. I want to give him his marching orders but am unsure of the legal implications. He's only living here for about three or four months. No contracts were signed.

Advice please lovely people!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

DawnMc wrote:
    I am a landlady (owner occupier) and I live with possibly THE most irritating person. I want to give him his marching orders but am unsure of the legal implications. He's only living here for about three or four months. No contracts were signed.

Advice please lovely people!!!
    As you arwe an owner-occupier I think he is a lodger, so just give him notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DawnMc

How much notice? Ya, he's a lodger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

DawnMc wrote:
    Give him a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

As long as he has been there less that 6 months. You can give him one months notice with out any reason at all.

LK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Is he paying weekly? If so give him a week or 2. Think of a good excuse and don't put it to him as "you're a weirdo and I want you out asap, but stay the week". Say you want to let the whole house or are selling or redecorating/fumigating/going to Australia/sister wants to come live with you or something so he won't do anything nasty.

Any entertaining stories about what annoyed you about him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Does he wash his y-fronts in the kitchen sink?

I remember my idiot housemate locked the keys to the shed (where the washing machine was), in the shed.. She made no attempt to resolve the situation, so I soaked all my socks in the kitchen sink. Still didn't seem to bother her..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

DawnMc wrote:

As you are an owner occupier- the person in question is not in fact a "tenant" at all, he is deemed to be living with you in your house "under licence". You are obliged to give him/her "reasonable notice"- not a prescribed period of notice such as a tenant would be entitled to.

It would have been preferable to draw up some sort of agreement when the individual originally moved in, but the lack of an agreement, written or otherwise, does not confer any rights per se on the person.

If you were not resident in the property yourself and had let the property- it would be an entirely different situation.

Lesson for next time- make a written set of house rules to be abided by. There are some sample rules in the rent-a-room scheme homepage on:

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/housing/buying_a_house_or_flat/rent_a_room_scheme.html

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

LMAO @ "I'm renting a room in my gaff - therefore I'm a landlady". Ahh.. Irish people and their status-seeking efforts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

soma wrote:
    LMAO @ "I'm renting a room in my gaff - therefore I'm a landlady". Ahh.. Irish people and their status-seeking efforts :D

Reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

eth0_ wrote:
    Reported.

Why? , Is humour not allowed in the accomodation forum , why report the soma's post, perhaps you should stick to modding your own forums if you have nothing constructive to add here?

Personaly believe soma is making a valid (abeit light hearted observation on the sterio typical Irish property "Invester" )

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

eth0_ wrote:
    Reported.
    Down with this sort of thing

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Back on-topic guys, if you have relevant information to impart to the OP do so, other than that any more OT comments will result in 1. Bannings and 2. Thread being locked.

Shane

Advertisement