Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Servicing and repair?

• 24-09-2006 1:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I bought the majority of my equipment second-hand, and have used it safely, but it occurs to me that I should get it serviced, particularly the regs. I've tried the search function but found no mention of it. Where can I get regs serviced in Dublin cheaply?
    Also, I have a Buddy Commando BC, with a little pony cylinder, is there any sense in servicing this? Will anyone fill a pony, and if so, for how much?
    And finally, are there any clubs having end-of-season cylinder sales? I'm not into paying €200 for a new one.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Moanin

I always get my gear serviced in Gret outdoors for about €100 for octopus and reg.they also sell bottles at end of season.Flagship are another crowd but I have no experience there....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭case_sensitive

€100? Argh, that's about as much as the reg cost in the first place. Damnit.
    I'll call flagship, might try some of the dive clubs too
    Anyone else?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

Moanin wrote:
    I always get my gear serviced in Gret outdoors for about €100 for octopus and reg.they also sell bottles at end of season.Flagship are another crowd but I have no experience there....

Looks like it's true what they say about Great Outdoors-i.e. ripoff, I got mine done for €60 in Munster Dive Centre in Cork, I suggest you shop around, cant say I liked to shell out €60 but what price safety?

Benny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

Hi,
    Also, I have a Buddy Commando BC, with a little pony cylinder, is there any sense in servicing this? Will anyone fill a pony, and if so, for how much?
    Thanks!

You refill your pony bottle yourselfe from your tank, just make sure the pony is in test. But then, who checks that.

Keep your pony bottle, it may come in handy one day.

Take a look at the inflator and test the buttons and see if they work properly, if they do and the BC holds the air, no need to service the BC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Scuba.ie

There's a few places around that you can leave your regs. You can also try Firststage in Dunshaughlin, they are a little further out, but you can get a price over the phone for a service.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies, in the end I bought a shiny new BC, had money burning a hole in my pocket. So if anyone knows anyone in need of a medium Buddy Commando with pony in perfect nick (aside from colour, washed out to a brown colour!), post away :-)

I'm heading down to Scuba Dive West to do my AOW in 2 weeks, and fancy having regs that *definitely* won't give up at -40m :-)

They might do it down there for me reasonably enough. I was going to pick up regs from Matt in Pierhouse and he said he'd service them for nix a year later. Nice bloke, but I get the impression he might have visually inspected it and said "yeah it's grand". lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭smcmullan

Depends on the make of reg. The service agent usually replaces some parts so they need access to service kits etc. which they only get if they are authorised agents.

Great Outdoors do Scubapro
    Flagship do Apeks, Aqua Lung
    Firststage do Mares, Poseidon, Coltri-Sub
    Aquaholics do Scubapro

Others?

My set is Dacor (1st, 2nd and octo), console/gauges are Mares, any idea who'd service them?
    I'm going to mail the dive school anyway.

thanks for all the replies!

Can't recall seeing those regs on sale here in Ireland. I checked out Dacor's website and they don't have an Irish distributor listed:

http://www.divedacor.com/distributori_en.html

You might need to post them to the UK distributor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Scuba.ie

smcmullan wrote:

Great Outdoors do Scubapro
    Flagship do Apeks, Aqua Lung
    Firststage do Mares, Poseidon, Coltri-Sub
    Aquaholics do Scubapro

Others?

Aquaventures (West Cork) do Poseidons now too. Think Aquaholics do Mares aswell, reasonably priced too. Lambay (based in Dundrum, Dublin) do regs, but I can't remember which ones.
    I left a reg in to have its HP hose replaced and get the reg serviced last year. It came back without the hose replaced and cost me €130...grrrrrr.. I won't mention where I left it. Moral of the story: Shop around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭donny

Aquaholics do apeks as well. Last year a certain Dublin dive shop were having a special offer on servicing so they're prices were lower than usual. I still saved a small fortune by sending my regs off to aquaholics to be serviced even taking shipping both ways into account.

Got a quote of €90 from GOD to service a Scubapro MK20/G250/R395octo plus an additional €30 to get the Air2 on my BCD serviced.

Aquaholics came back with MK20 with g250 - Stg£43, r395 - Stg£15, postage would be Stg£7.00 (they don't do free postage on service items). I didn't asked them about the Air2 on the BCD. So taking into account postage up and currency conversions there doesn't seem to be much between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 ronanm98

Hi,

Why don't you get them serviced abroad, just got my Scubapro MK25Af/R390/R390 Oct set done in Spain for €55, serviced, parts replaced, inspected and cleaned in two days by authorized Scubapro Dealer.

Ro.

Not bad at all. Did you get it done on holidays or post it?

In the end I used Dave Curtis from Achill Dive Services (Tel:086-6090677). He services all our club gear and in fact GOD send all their stuff his way too. 113euro for reg and bcd AIR2 and he picked up and delivered back the stuff free of charge on his weekly Dublin visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 ronanm98

I was going to post them over but friends of mine went to spain and they dropped them in and picked up. Postage to Ireland was I think €25.

Cheers.

Advertisement