Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rough Laws

Options
  • 24-09-2006 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭

I just want to get a quick going over on the laws regarding firing a gun on private property.

First of all, is it even legal to fire a gun outside of designated areas (ranges, hunting grounds etc.)?
    If so what are the requirements (do you have to be a certain distance from public/private property)?

I'm just trying to gather as much information about the laws before I apply for my liscence.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

is it even legal to fire a gun outside of designated areas
    Yes, but that answer's not so helpful because the question is a bit off. There is no such thing as a designated area for shooting right now. In a month or so, it will be illegal to engage in target shooting off a range (how tightly that will be enforced is somewhat of a gray area as the law in this area is rather badly phrased), but even then, hunting can take place in a surprisingly large amount of the country. However, you can be prosecuted for discharging a firearm in an unsafe manner, which is a far more encompassing condition.

Advertisement