Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about Building..

Options
  • 24-09-2006 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭

I was going to build my first pc a while back but decided against it because I thought I'd have no hope. I really want to again but I want to research a bit more this time round.

Games I want to play are CSS, BF2, FEAR online maybe. etc etc. basically it would be nice to be able to play some of the modern games for a while without regretting building a pc because a game comes out I want but can't play it.

I haven't got a very big budget as of now but I am trying to sell some stuff to get myself up to the €500 mark or abouts.

I'm not asking necessarily for you to pick out all of my parts but maybe just show me what's good and what isn't. I understand quite a bit about pc's but am still very much a n00b. SATAII, I don't get why this is good for example and I need to know if I am going to build a pc. lol.

Thanks,

Timans

PS - We got the Forum. :D YAY

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

500 isn't enough for a good gaming pc especially for a build in my opinion anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 26,568 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

that will just about get you a good graphics card tbh, maybe a soundcard too if you're lucky

unless he is trying to buy it all off ebay, but that wont make for a good gaming pc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Really?

Even if I get some 2nd hand parts?

I don't want a Top-End pc obviously. Just a pc which will play some modern games.

depends how long you want it to last, if you want to be fishing out all the time to update it sure you could probably put something together

• Advertisement

#Elites wrote:
    i suppose you could buy a 3800+ with 1gb ram,7600gt or somthing...

ill make a list after dinner for u!
    Thanks man/woman.

Can't take risks with gender anymore. :p

EDIT - This thread isn't just a part finding exercise. I just want to know more about pc's in general so when I have some more cash, I'll know what's a good part and what's bad.

Well,

I need everything. Just the tower. No peripherals needed as I can scrounge them I'm sure. :D

Max Budget is probably €500/€600 at most.

thats similar to the PC I have at the minute except much smaller HDD and a better graphics card

Thanks very much for doing that for me.

I'm going to try and raise the funds for that somehow.

I want it so badly. :p

Conroe :D

See, that's the problem.

Every time I am ready to go and buy parts, I start to think that I'll just mess it up while building or I won't be able to do it.

Then, I end up spending the money on something else.

• Advertisement

#Elites wrote:
    btw try taking apart your current pc and putting it back toegther for practice!
    Can't, as this is the "family" pc and it would still be being used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You are best to pick up an old computer, try adverts.ie for a few quid (maybe free) and open it up and have a look around, see what you can identify.

Is an "XFX 7800GT 256MB" Gfx Card better than the one you've showed me? If so, Much Better?

Advertisement