Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom bb speed

• 24-09-2006 3:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭

hi, my parents went for the 2mb eircom option, the high speed cable that comes with it was only long enough for the computer to stay in the hall and my mam wanted it to stay in the back room, so i went to a local electrical shop and they gave my normal phone wire told me it was the same thing, the problem is im only getting speeds ok 55 kbps when downloading. is the wire the problem and if so where can i buy the right wire? i need about 40 feet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Normal phone wire is what you want alright. It's possible that using any cable that long would degrade the signal quality, but I'm not sure. I think it should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

You can get heavy duty phone cable in PC world. Its much thicker than the normal one. However it will not necessiarily give you a higher connection speed. If you got the free modem the Netopia 2247NWG modem from eircom why don't you get a wireless adapter and use the Wireless option. This means you do not need to use a phone wire and you do not need to have the PC in the same room as the modem. It may be the better option for your folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

why don't you get a wireless adapter and use the Wireless option. This means you do not need to use a phone wire and you do not need to have the PC in the same room as the modem. It may be the better option for your folks.

i went down that road, but the max speed was 55 kps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

If the speeds using the Wireless adapter and the phone wire are the same I think you need to look elsewhwere. Go to "http://192.168.1.254/", then Expert Mode(say yes), then Statistics and DSL. Post back the values of:

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps)
    SN Margin (dB)
    Line Attenuation (dB)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

pm. wrote:
    i went down that road, but the max speed was 55 kps.

Are you sure it wasn't 54Mbps? Try it again.
    jd

• Advertisement

If the speeds using the Wireless adapter and the phone wire are the same I think you need to look elsewhwere. Go to "http://192.168.1.254/", then Expert Mode(say yes), then Statistics and DSL. Post back the values of:

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps)
    SN Margin (dB)
    Line Attenuation (dB)

ok both parents are out at the moment as soon as they are home ill post.

thanks for the help lads, turned my dad put a new phone into the kitchen without a filter :rolleyes: so i just unplugged it and it worked fine.

Advertisement