Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Slow ignition

Options
  • 24-09-2006 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭

Albeit this does not seem to be a great problem, I will ask the question.
    The ignition (starting up) process in my 03 Corolla sometimes seems to take ages. You turn the key and it keeps "trying" much longer than wives 97 Micra. Eventually, it always does start but it is frustrating sometimes as I keep wondering will it start up or no.
    Friend said that it might be due to petrol but from time to time, I use the Shell's V-tech and see no difference. Any thoughts?
    BTW, the car works fine and in 3+ years not a single problem with it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

make sure you're not pressing the accelerator when starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

colm_mcm wrote:
    make sure you're not pressing the accelerator when starting.

I never do it actualy. I do not know is it worth the effort bringing the car to the servis to adjust the ignition.

Colm, ordered the Yaris Sol (with the luxury pack eventualy). Did it in Denis Mahony and got a deal better for about 1000 that what I was offered in Murphy& Gunn!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Does it matter if the engine is hot or cold when trying to start?

byte wrote:
    Does it matter if the engine is hot or cold when trying to start?

Not really. No connection.
    This afternoon, I was vacuming the inside and dusting the car. No radio was on. Actually, I had the keys in my pocket. About an hour and a half later, I thought it took ages to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Could it be the battery? It could be on the way out especially if it is the original battery. Similar thing happened to me last year on a cold morning where it took about 30 seconds for the car to turn over. Replaced the battery and problem solved.

Have the existing battery tested before going out and buying a new one though.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote:
    Could it be the battery? It could be on the way out especially if it is the original battery. Similar thing happened to me last year on a cold morning where it took about 30 seconds for the car to turn over. Replaced the battery and problem solved.

Have the existing battery tested before going out and buying a new one though.

Don't know actualy. I can have the battery tested. the thing that buggs me is that it has been so more-less since the beginning. It was never a quick starter!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Any correlation to wet weather? If so could be moisture in your distributor

zuutroy wrote:
    Any correlation to wet weather? If so could be moisture in your distributor

No. Today, in the morning t'was quite wet and started OK.later on during the day it was scorthching but that's when it took it longer. Could it be that the ignition was set wrongly when car put together?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

When was it last serviced?

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    When was it last serviced?

Mid April

• Advertisement
Advertisement