Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kittens

Options
  • 24-09-2006 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

I took home 3 kittens that were going to be burned in a barrel,their mother was
    killed earlier they are I think 4-5 wks old.2 of them arent too friendly but the ginger 1 is a dote:D Now whats the best course of action I can take now??
    Bring them to my local vet or bring them to a sanctuary tomorrow.They are in my dogs kennel at the moment,I have fed them and gave them warm milk
    I have 4 dogs so I cant bring them in the house,though the kennel is warm and
    cosy blankets etc.I want them to find good homes but am I been too optimistic??them been ferral??Will they be put to sleep??:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭lphchild

well done on taking them in, try http://www.catsaid.org who if they can't help you will put you in touch with someone who can... just leave a message on their answering machine... they should be rehomeable with a little bit of tlc as they're very young, ferals will usually come around after a week or 2 when they're that young to start with.. best of luck, I hope whoever was attempting to kill them will get the karma back they deserve...

lph

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

lphchild wrote:
    well done on taking them in, try http://www.catsaid.org who if they can't help you will put you in touch with someone who can... just leave a message on their answering machine... they should be rehomeable with a little bit of tlc as they're very young, ferals will usually come around after a week or 2 when they're that young to start with.. best of luck, I hope whoever was attempting to kill them will get the karma back they deserve...

lph

I rang them and they said they are unable to take in anymore.thanks anyway.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Hi, post this on petsireland and irishanimals.ie to get more views someone may be able to help you on those boards. Being so young the less friendly kittens should come round given a bit of time and TLC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Unfortunately leaving them with the vet will likely mean them being PTS (Put To Sleep) :(

Good on ya for taking the little cuties in though, they look adorable.
    If there were any way Id take them myself, unfortunately not an option as the one cat I have is more than a handful right now.
    And I know Kitten Adoption is at breaking point BUT they might know of somwhere, if they do Im sure they will say, I know some of the gals look on here regularly. :)

Warm milk is not a good idea btw, cats (specially kittens) cannot process it and it can make them ill very quickly. There is special kitten "milk" you can get, but until then best stick to water for drinks.
    This page should tell you what you need to know to give em the best chance -> http://www.kittenadoption.ie/kittenCare.htm

Best of luck to you and them, gods they are adorable.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

"burned in a barrel" ?! WTF is going on there

Fair play to you for helping them, BettyBoop. Feral cats *do* come round, as the other posters have said. I'm amazed too that CatsAid closed the door on you though - would have been nice if they were to give you advice, help you post some messages/pics on their board etc.

• Advertisement

thanks for all the advice,however I have contacted a lot of places and they were unable to help me,as it seems every organisation is full. I will keep on trying.
    I have stopped giving them warm milk,I didnt know about the dangers ...I have 4
    dogs and know nothing about kittens.I have bought the proper milk and food and will continue to care for them until I find homes for them,not easy with 4 dogs
    around:D I will put up posters looking for homes or is that a bad idea??

Cant see any harm in it as long as you vet the people who want them well :)
    (Insist on them being spayed / neutered & vaccinated asap and trust your instinct before your head).

I've put out some feelers on some other boards and other places online and ya never know, if I hear anything Ill let you know.

B

Cant see any harm in putting this out there lol.........
    There is an offer of a new home for these two by somone experienced in feral rescues,..... here's the catch, she's in North Wales.

JUST putting it out there in case anyones going over and wouldnt mind a couple of furry passengers ;)

B

Cant see any harm in putting this out there lol.........
    There is an offer of a new home for these two by somone experienced in feral rescues,..... here's the catch, she's in North Wales.

JUST putting it out there in case anyones going over and wouldnt mind a couple of furry passengers ;)

B
    Thanks very much for all your advice and help.I have wormed them and they are getting very playful.I spend as much time with them as I can.I am getting really attached to them they are lovely kittens and deserve a nice home.I dont know if they are male or female though! Still trying to find them homes with no success
    as yet. I spoke to a lady from kitten adoption and she might have someone for the ginger 1.They are also litter trained:D

just an update for all the people who have given me great advice
    I have been persuaded,but it didnt take much:D to keep the 2 remaining
    kittens.I have already homed 1 with an elderly lady who also has a ginger cat
    and treats her like a baby, she was over the moon with the kitten and is getting it neutured through the national spay scheme.I will now do the same with the 2 I have and get them insured and microchipped, my current insurance is €600 p.a. should be cheaper for cats :D They are little dotes especially the grey\white one.
    Thanks again for everyones interest,
    much appreciated.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Fridge

How much does the microchipping cost? And how do you track down the cat with it?

Just found an abandoned kitten in our garden this week. She nearly died of the flu, but we got her through it. Dunno if I'll keep her, but if Microchipping works, might get it done. Are there any health problems that go with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Fridge wrote:
    How much does the microchipping cost? And how do you track down the cat with it?

Just found an abandoned kitten in our garden this week. She nearly died of the flu, but we got her through it. Dunno if I'll keep her, but if Microchipping works, might get it done. Are there any health problems that go with it?

It's about EUR40, and it's worth it (have used it already successfully with my cat :rolleyes: )

The way it works is that someone finds your cat and brings it to the vet; vet scans its shoulder/neck area with a scanner; scanner returns an ID number specific to your cat's microchip; they phone the company that maintain the database - they will have your name and address from when you paid for the microchipping; then the vet phones you.

No health problems with it - the chip is about the size of a grain of rice.

I decided to keep DJ and here he is. The king of 4 shih-tzus:D A great cat and we love him to bits,hes the boss in the house now.Likes to take a dip in the dogs water bowl sometimes.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Bettyboop wrote:
    I decided to keep DJ and here he is. The king of 4 shih-tzus:D A great cat and we love him to bits,hes the boss in the house now.Likes to take a dip in the dogs water bowl sometimes.:D

Do u still have any of the cats

foxy06 wrote:
    Do u still have any of the cats
    I have still got DJ but unfortunately poor old chip died in my arms a few weeks ago.I was attending the vet with her and giving her intensive care 24/7
    but she didnt make it.Some underlying problem the vet said.But DJ is still here
    forever we hope:D

Advertisement