Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letters in the News & Star

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Bookee

Oh God, hate those long, well thought out replies.... :rolleyes:

Keep it simple, just write what you feel.... and briefly (for me anyway) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

merlante wrote:
    Who doesn't think that Waterford should be developed properly? Name one single person who has suggested that Waterford should be developed at any cost?

McCann is the only extreme. The only person who is applying a blanket 'yes' or a blanket 'no' to anything.

I don't think there is a co-ordinated campaign against McCann. You have a lot of very angry people reacting to him individually. While his supporters are highly organised and can give the impression that he is well supported. Look at the way they took over last weeks News & Star. Without any collaboration at all, the people have reacted by filling up this weeks paper with anti-McCann letters. The majority will eventually win through.

I would not overestimate the support that McCann has by the letters.As I have said earlier I am 99.9% sure Michael Brennan is a friend of BMC.Seamus Ryan's sister is in WASICD and the other letter was from WASICD.On the other hand I would not underestimate the effect they could have if left unchecked.Even if their is a risk of turning BMC into a Martyr.Its a catch 22.What is for sure is if there is seen to be public support in opposition to BMC and WASICD then the Council will think twice about capitulating to pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Bards wrote:
    Something along the lines of "Citizen Action to defend our City from the Evading Galway Rebel"

or

"Defend our Planning system from abuse by serial obectors"... Sign up now

Oh please do not think that Brendan McCann is your typical Galway person, he's not. As a Galway person living in Waterford (and I'm not an evading Galway rebel) I really want to see this city grow and thrive.

Some of the large towns will pass out Waterford if things don't change. Even visitors to Waterford are taken aback that Waterford is actually a city when it only has a very limited choice of retail outlets and facilities.

Brendan McCann lives in Viewmount as do I and there isn't one of my neighbours that I've spoken to that have any time for him.

He's objected to the previous application at Farron Park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

merlante wrote:
    I don't think there is a co-ordinated campaign against McCann.
    Judging by the media coverage recently, there is. It is not a very professional operation though.
    You have a lot of very angry people reacting to him individually.
    That's a mistake. For every angry person reacting against him, there's at least two that are beginning to think that he has a point.
    While his supporters are highly organised and can give the impression that he is well supported.
    A professional op would be targeting the credibility of these people. Without the level of support he has at present, McCann is just an individual.
    Look at the way they took over last weeks News & Star. Without any collaboration at all, the people have reacted by filling up this weeks paper with anti-McCann letters. The majority will eventually win through.
    With these things, it is difficult to tell what is a grass roots movement and what is an astro-turf campaign.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

deisemum wrote:
    Oh please do not think that Brendan McCann is your typical Galway person, he's not. As a Galway person living in Waterford (and I'm not an evading Galway rebel) I really want to see this city grow and thrive.

Some of the large towns will pass out Waterford if things don't change. Even visitors to Waterford are taken aback that Waterford is actually a city when it only has a very limited choice of retail outlets and facilities.

Brendan McCann lives in Viewmount as do I and there isn't one of my neighbours that I've spoken to that have any time for him.

He's objected to the previous application at Farron Park

Thats is why I said Galway Rebel (Singular) and not Galway rebels, as I know you can not paint everyone with the same brush (Kilkenny People maybe :D )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

On the web now by the way:
    News & Star Letters to the Editor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

jmcc wrote:
    Judging by the media coverage recently, there is. It is not a very professional operation though.

I would disagree with this. When a private individual sets himself up as a planning watchdog and interferes in projects that do not directly affect him but whose actions directly affect fifty thousand people then it is naive to think he will not attract huge media covarage. To suggest this is co-ordinated would mean all the media are complicit in a conspiracy against him.This isn't the case.The N&S has been painted as the paper who have been pro capitalist because of the phoenix column.Even though they have given WASICD huge media exposure.The Waterford Today was thier darling because it appeared to be on thir side.Although last weeks editorial seemed to be slightly against WASICD and BMC judging by their final comment.The Munster appeared seemed Neutral but I think a previous editorial or columnist suggested to leave the council get on with their job without interference from people like BMC.

On the other hand according to what has been posted on this website Deise AM has been very biased towards McCann.Although I have not heard the broadcasts.However judging by the way he declined to comment on Morning Ireland with the claim that planning matters were too important to discuss on the airways,gives substance to the claim. The media response to McCann on the whole is balanced with the exception of Deise AM.
    jmcc wrote:

That's a mistake. For every angry person reacting against him, there's at least two that are beginning to think that he has a point..

Where is the evidence to support this? AFAIK there is none. WASICD's petions do not count as they are not impartial and open to public scrutiny.The News & Stars Vox pop indicated otherwise but that would be also biased if you asked groups like WASICD. Despite the News & Star giving them huge publicity in their letters page and giving WASICD and their activities huge page space to put their case forward.
    jmcc wrote:
    A professional op would be targeting the credibility of these people. Without the level of support he has at present, McCann is just an individual...

Yet KRM construction who have the means to hire a such an "op" havn't done so. The fact that they have engaged with the Public and WASICD to a much higher level than they are obliged to.
    jmcc wrote:

With these things, it is difficult to tell what is a grass roots movement and what is an astro-turf campaign.

Regards...jmcc

This is true.To those who are ignorant of the people involved,the impression might be given that there is widespread support for BMC.However the reality is that the authors of all the letters in last weeks papers are known associates of BMC.Either personal friends or through WASICD. The person in support of BMC in this weeks paper I believe may be also be in the same category.Despite the impact on the senses I thik it is still an astro turf campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

jmcc wrote:
    I think McCann lives in the back of Viewmount. That would put him only a few hundred metres away from Farren Park. He's certainly closer to it than D'Arcy (I think he lives off by the Tramore road somwhere.) The media campaign against McCann is having the opposite effect to that intended and is making people support McCann. While I don't think that one person or group should be allowed to hold up development of Waterford, I do think that Waterford should be developed properly.

Regards...jmcc

You see, jmmc, it's that kind of comment that puzzles me. McCann lives in the centre of Viewmount. That's over 1¼ MILES away from Farran Park by road. How can this development impact on him?

What's he even doing objecting to it? He has argued the impact an off-licence would have. FFS Tesco is across the bloody field from him!

This man is infuriating. Does anyone know if he bothered to object to that awful chimney with the flashing light at Louisiana Pacific in Bellview - or is he only concentrating on the City?

And can anyone confirm that he has placed NO objections to the ongoing development at his place of employment, WIT? If, as he points out, he is merely excercising his rights, why has he not done so there.

After all, you can only describe the buildings at WIT as functional at best.

Lastly, jmmc, what are your parameters for Waterford being 'developed properly' as you put it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

oh dear, you have serial objectors in Waterford as well, i thought they were only in Galway.here in the West, the same 3-4 people object to everything, they are even trying to stop the new proposed dock for Galway despite no plans being submitted yet. sad people,they don't even need to see the plans to object.:mad:

Freddie59 wrote:
    You see, jmmc, it's that kind of comment that puzzles me. McCann lives in the centre of Viewmount. That's over 1¼ MILES away from Farran Park by road. How can this development impact on him?
    McCann does not live in Old Viewmount. He lives up towards the back. And from where he lives, Farran Park is only a few hundred metres away He probably couldn't even see the Dunmore Road or the blue light from where he is..
    FFS Tesco is across the bloody field from him!
    Well the people in Viewmount had to wait decades before there was any place like Tescos nearby.
    This man is infuriating. Does anyone know if he bothered to object to that awful chimney with the flashing light at Louisiana Pacific in Bellview - or is he only concentrating on the City?
    Well that flashing light is essential as it is near an air route.
    And can anyone confirm that he has placed NO objections to the ongoing development at his place of employment, WIT? If, as he points out, he is merely excercising his rights, why has he not done so there.
    That's what his opponents should be looking at.
    Lastly, jmmc, what are your parameters for Waterford being 'developed properly' as you put it?
    A modern city that serves its people and retains its history. If it needs skyscrapers then it should have them and they should blend in with the city.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

galwayrush wrote:
    oh dear, you have serial objectors in Waterford as well, i thought they were only in Galway.here in the West, the same 3-4 people object to everything, they are even trying to stop the new proposed dock for Galway despite no plans being submitted yet. sad people,they don't even need to see the plans to object.:mad:

It would be difficult to beat our Brendan McCann for objections: 30 in the last 6 months. Probably running into hundreds over the last few years. Incidentally, he's a Galway man! ;)

In Waterford we have fallen far behind Galway in terms of retail and development, so we could really do without this sort of thing. Because of the lack of large retail units in the city centre, we can't accommodate the likes of Marks & Spencer, HMV, Waterstones, etc., etc. that other cities take for granted.

McCann, like Ian Paisley, is great at telling us 'no', and what he won't accept, but he will not make any proposals of his own for how the city could get its development and preserve its history. He simply wants nothing built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Bookee

galwayrush wrote:
    oh dear, you have serial objectors in Waterford as well, i thought they were only in Galway.here in the West, the same 3-4 people

...Do yours have the same sur-name as OURS.... ? !!
    Imagine if there WAS a connection.... !! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Bookee wrote:
    ...Do yours have the same sur-name as OURS.... ? !!
    Imagine if there WAS a connection.... !! :rolleyes:
    lol, different surnames, the worst two serial objectors have letters in the local papers weekly, neither of the two are from Galway, one isn't even Irish.at the moment, like the proposal for the massive new Docks development, which involves reclaiming 30-40 acres from the sea, guess what?, Despite no formal plans being available or submitted yet, they have already formed a group called " the alliance of people before profit " to stop it.they also want to get the plans for the Galway outer by-pass stopped as " it will only encourage developments along it's route.

galwayrush wrote:
    lol, different surnames, the worst two serial objectors have letters in the local papers weekly, neither of the two are from Galway, one isn't even Irish.at the moment, like the proposal for the massive new Docks development, which involves reclaiming 30-40 acres from the sea, guess what?, Despite no formal plans being available or submitted yet, they have already formed a group called " the alliance of people before profit " to stop it.they also want to get the plans for the Galway outer by-pass stopped as " it will only encourage developments along it's route.

Good lord, you're in the same situation as us then!

We're still waiting for our docklands redevelopment to kick off. There's a design from a competition, the land has been acquired by a developer, the last of the court cases have recently ended (I think) but I don't think planning permission has been sought yet. 6 years after its announcement and building hasn't commenced yet. :(

Needless to say McCann will object if and when it comes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Does BMC go on holidays at all?

If so simply fire all the planning applications in during the month he is away and he won't be able to object in time. :)

jmcc wrote:
    McCann does not live in Old Viewmount. He lives up towards the back. And from where he lives, Farran Park is only a few hundred metres away He probably couldn't even see the Dunmore Road or the blue light from where he is..

What do you class as 'old Viewmount'? Viewmount Estate was built in the mid-1970s/early 80s. This includes everything from the front row on the Dunmore Road up to Beech Park, which was commenced around 1980, and those streets above it, which were finished in the mid-1980s.

If he lives in any section of that he is, as stated, a good 1¼ miles by road - especially if he lives where people on www.boards.ie have indicated. You're missing the point about the light (which, BTW, is visible from huge swathes of Waterford City, including where I live at the top of the old City).

jmcc wrote:
    Well the people in Viewmount had to wait decades before there was any place like Tescos nearby.

You're missing the point. I am pointing out, AGAIN, that something closer to him, and immensely larger than the Farran Park development, would have, according to his twisted logic, a greater impact on him. Did he object to this?

jmcc wrote:
    Well that flashing light is essential as it is near an air route.

Already covered..

jmcc wrote:
    A modern city that serves its people and retains its history. If it needs skyscrapers then it should have them and they should blend in with the city.

Regards...jmcc

As is then? I too have a great difficulty with some of the developments, and the missed opportunities, but it is essentially to allow our wonderful city to breathe and develop. And so must proceed - with the minimum fuss and interference.

And I ask again: why no objections to the Lego buildings in WIT which he works in every day?? Hypocrisy at work.

Freddie59 wrote:
    What do you class as 'old Viewmount'? Viewmount Estate was built in the mid-1970s/early 80s. This includes everything from the front row on the Dunmore Road up to Beech Park, which was commenced around 1980, and those streets above it, which were finished in the mid-1980s.
    Old Viewmount is the front row and the second and third rows and the side rows. The construction of Viewmount started in the late 1960s. I think the first people would have moved in around 1968 or so. I do know a bit about Viewmount having lived here for some time.
    You're missing the point about the light (which, BTW, is visible from huge swathes of Waterford City, including where I live at the top of the old City).
    All objects like that have to have warning lights. I don't know if he objected but I think that it would have been thrown out anyway.
    You're missing the point. I am pointing out, AGAIN, that something closer to him, and immensely larger than the Farran Park development, would have, according to his twisted logic, a greater impact on him. Did he object to this?
    I've no idea whether he objected to it but your knowledge of the geography of this area leaves a bit to be desired. The smokestack is definitely farther away from where he is than Farran Park. The Tesco thing was actually essential for this area as was the expansion of Ardkeen stores.
    And I ask again: why no objections to the Lego buildings in WIT which he works in every day?? Hypocrisy at work.
    It does smack of double standards. Go ask him!

Regards...jmcc

What does BMC teach at WIT?

Bond-007 wrote:
    Maths, I think.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Bond-007 wrote:
    Illogical positivism. ;)

• Advertisement

Roen wrote:
    Illogical positivism. ;)

McCann needs to be taught a lesson himself -- a lesson in pain!

I pity the fool!

jmcc wrote:
    Old Viewmount is the front row and the second and third rows and the side rows. The construction of Viewmount started in the late 1960s. I think the first people would have moved in around 1968 or so. I do know a bit about Viewmount having lived here for some time.

All objects like that have to have warning lights. I don't know if he objected but I think that it would have been thrown out anyway.

I've no idea whether he objected to it but your knowledge of the geography of this area leaves a bit to be desired. The smokestack is definitely farther away from where he is than Farran Park. The Tesco thing was actually essential for this area as was the expansion of Ardkeen stores.

It does smack of double standards. Go ask him!

Regards...jmcc

Jmmc - I think you're getting the wrong end of the stick here. I'm attempting to highlight the sheer ridiculousness of his thinking. Nothing personal.

I have worked in and around Viewmount since the mid-70s and am very familiar with the area. How long have you lived there? Your comments about Tesco are quite baffling. My views on McCannare quite obvious. I am totally against him.

Where do you sit?:confused:

Guys, this is exactly what McCan't wants, for us to start fighting amongst ourselves! Every time we do, he wins! :D

Freddie59 wrote:
    Jmmc - I think you're getting the wrong end of the stick here. I'm attempting to highlight the sheer ridiculousness of his thinking. Nothing personal.
    Ok. It was just that I was being unusually balanced.
    I have worked in and around Viewmount since the mid-70s and am very familiar with the area. How long have you lived there?
    Since the late 1960s.
    Your comments about Tesco are quite baffling.
    Well the area (Viewmount (and the rest),/Knockboy/Glenview) has badly needed a supermarket of Tesco size for years. People typically had to go to the far side of town to shop.
    Where do you sit?:confused:
    I think that much of what McCann is doing is to raise his profile and chances of election. Perhaps that's a bit cynical but I think that McCann would be following the same path in any city or town where he turned up.

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote:
    Ok. It was just that I was being unusually balanced.

Since the late 1960s.

Well the area (Viewmount (and the rest),/Knockboy/Glenview) has badly needed a supermarket of Tesco size for years. People typically had to go to the far side of town to shop.

I think that much of what McCann is doing is to raise his profile and chances of election. Perhaps that's a bit cynical but I think that McCann would be following the same path in any city or town where he turned up.

Regards...jmcc

We're singing from the same hymn sheet then. Good to know. Yes - you're correct. It wouldn't matter where he was. Obsessive compulsive comes to mind.:mad:

Didn't he stand for election before and didn't get too many votes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

The best way to get at Mccann is when he comes around knocking on peoples doors looking for votes that people tell him and his cronies in no uncertain terms what they think

Advertisement