Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new building in front of Dublin Castle

• 02-09-2006 5:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭

You know the building work they were doing on Dame Street by city hall? Well the scaffolding and boarding has all been taken down now to reveal the building behind.
    What is it, does anyone know? Is it just going to be offices? I was walking by there last night with the missus and it REALLY stood out. It's all glass with neon lighting running up and down and all across it. It's very visual at night.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

The building in question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

The building houses offices for Dublin City Council. I can't remember the name of the architect off hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Just offices as far as I know. Speculative development by the council as the land was in use as a temporary park for about 20 years! It was a bit unpleasant and very ugly.

I pass the building every morning but have never seen it lit up like that. I hope there's some sort of permanent lighting as it's something very much lacking in the Dublin street scene.

I'm just a little concerned about the nuclear reactor dome on top!

I found a link to the brochure on archiseek. Is that crane a permanent feature??

Palace Street

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Looks deadly whatever it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i couldve sworn it had a sign on the hording saying it was to be a mix of offices and appartments. not sure what the ratio of one to the other is though. from the looks of it its mostly offices. i actually quite liked the park that was there, anyone know what happend to the statues and the fountain that were there? its not as if theres a lot of that bang in the city centre and it'd be a shame if they just leveled em.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

i actually quite liked the park that was there, anyone know what happend to the statues and the fountain that were there? its not as if theres a lot of that bang in the city centre and it'd be a shame if they just leveled em.

There's a lovely park just inside the Castle grounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Aoife-FM104

Has anyone seen this building?

It's so horrible. It's totally out of place and just looks stupid.

What used to be a nice old looking corner of Dame Street now looks like another Celtic Tiger mess!!

Anyone seen it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

See This thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

First time I've seen this.

Looks like it sticks amongst the other buildings though. I don't like it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Aoife-FM104

There is a big sign outside it saying it is available as a "prestigious" corporate HQ.

Extremely ugly building. Typical of terrible planning by Dublin architects!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

There is a big sign outside it saying it is available as a "prestigious" corporate HQ.

cant help thinking from the dublin castle entrance side its very reminiscent of the bunkers just up the road. ya think someone wouldve learned a lesson after those monstrosities:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Threads Merged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Beta Bill

The only thing typcial here is "glorified estate agents" claiming a crap piece of architecture is prestigious.......... They'll do anything for a fee it seems .....

What a joke......

Advertisement