Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rescue helicopter

• 24-09-2006 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

Did anyone hear the rescue helicopter flying over the City during the night.
    I could not catch the news during the day and only heard later on that someone was in the river and the helicopter and lifeboat were dispatched to search for him.
    I checked the news on the internet but there has been no update. Has anybody heard anything?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,016 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Jor wrote:
    I could not catch the news during the day and only heard later on that someone was in the river and the helicopter and lifeboat were dispatched to search for him.
    I checked the news on the internet but there has been no update. Has anybody heard anything?
    A regular occurance that would not be newsworthy unless there were fatalities or serious injuries. Get a scanner and you will hear the details. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭portlairge

Post removed.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

portlairge wrote:
    so you are one of those anoracks who has nothin to do but listen in on the emergency services and spread rumours about confidential material... why dont you go into roches or dunnes and listen in on their p.a system you sick freak its because of people like you that we have to spend millions in upgrading radio systems so they cannot be scanned by anoraks..... get a life..

In all honesty, its not a bad thing that we have to update the Radios of all emergency personnel. In this day an age of technology surely Analogue radios should be a thing of the past. I think you are been a bit unfair blaming people that have scanners for this.

And I think you will find that its not illegal to own a scanner, but it is illegal to listen in on the ES and then talk about it.

Jor wrote:

According to Artel earlier today, a man was seen jumping from rise bridge at 1.25 am. This was obviously what what going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Portlairge - You are out of line and off topic. Please refrain from personal abuse.

Thanks,

Paul

• Advertisement

Wishbone Ash please don't retaliate.

Thanks,

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Must have been dodgy for the helicopter crew flying about in that weather last night, was far from pleasant. I couldn't hear anything above the weather and I live not too far from the river.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Helicopter is always out over Tramore, but I guess its right beside the airport. Love seeing it, but not in unfortunate circumstances like yesterday :/

Weather was just thunder and lightening and a bit of heavy rain now and again, was it worse in Waterford or something?

No updates im assuming?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭peepsbates

heard in work tonight some 22/23 year old chap jumped in the river, thats all i know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

peepsbates wrote:
    heard in work tonight some 22/23 year old chap jumped in the river, thats all i know

From the manor area of the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭SeanieM

Seen at Dunmore East last week. Training mission I believe.

rescuewv2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

A training mission in a populated area at night-time is very unlikely, they must have had to be looking for soemone. if it was an object like a boat, etc. they would not be insured to go out at night-time....

Didn't say that the pic was of the emergency that is the subject of the thread just posted a pic of the helicopter concerned on a training mission at Dunmore East.
    These crews have to train in all weathers, night and day and insurance plays no part in any activity these crews and their aircraft get up too.
    This is a government aircraft and any liabilty would be covered by the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭helibelly

That was us doing 'wets' where the winchman has to recover a person from the water. We have to do all our recurrent training on a three monthly basis although we try to keep it to a monthly currency. And no we don't fly over the city to train :) especially at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭jmcc

It could also have been a helicopter air lifting someone to or from Ardkeen.

Regards...jmcc

helibelly wrote:
    That was us doing 'wets' where the winchman has to recover a person from the water. We have to do all our recurrent training on a three monthly basis although we try to keep it to a monthly currency. And no we don't fly over the city to train :) especially at night.

Yes I was watching and have a lot of it on video. There was also a small boat in the area who I assumed was there to put the person in the water or on standby incase something went wrong.
    I know it wasn't a rescue mission because the poor guy would have been dead otherwise with the amount of dunks made by the winchman.
    In this pic although not very clear the winchman has a second person on the wire just taken from the water.

twouo3.jpg

They also regularly choose a vessel at random and radio the skipper requesting permission to lower a crewman on board and winch him up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭helibelly

Yep, that's for deck winching. We go and ask the captain if we can winch to their vessel for training. Sometines we ask them to maintain a certain heading for the wind. And yes there is a second person in your pic SeanieM. The 'survior' is in the single strop so they end up lower than the winchman who has his legs wrapped around them for added stability.

Well I've never hung from a wire under a helicopter but I have hung from some nylon cords at 4000ft!

• Advertisement
Advertisement