Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ubuntu 6.06

• 24-09-2006 9:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭

I'm enjoying the new Ubuntu 6.06, so far it's great to use; email and internet works "out of the box" with automatic software updates too, it's impressive. I think the Ubuntu theme looks slick and sophisticated as well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I'm using the same version... very much a step in the right direction usability-wise IMO... but like every version of linux I've ever played with, I still have to get down and dirty with the terminal... reading how-to's and typing in lots of never-before-seen commands.
    But it's all good as long as I'm learning something.

Have to agree though, it's the most usefull out-of-the-box distro I've come across (unless you count BeOS, which I'm sure we won't since it's not linux afaik)... and that's the important part to me... I'd like a basic level of functionality before I start learning the more advanced stuff.
    So many times I've had to fart around getting hardware working when I haven't a bog what's going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

I know a load of people in the linux world are sick of hearing about ubuntu, but I can't praise it enough. Ubuntu got me into linux and though I've installed everything from xbox-linux to slackware since then with varying degrees of success, I keep coming back to ubuntu for my laptop because it just works. I keep wishing I could see it in more places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'm another ubuntu fan. I run it on my main desktop at home, HTPC (myth-tv-licious) and my work PC. I like that stuff mostly just works too. That and all the usual advantages of linux. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Yeah I tried Linux on and off for years. Ubuntu is the only distro I've used in two years because it's the only one I've found that after you install it, it feels like you've actually installed an OS. Most of the others lacked usability (constant terminal use) or crashed frequently.

I've only used the terminal once or twice so far and there were perfect howto's online for them. One was the ATI drivers for my graphics card and another for my modem (which turned out not to be needed if I had found the official website quicker).

I'd recommend Ubuntu to anyone and everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

just finished installing it on an old (450 PIII / 576 RAM) desktop - install went without a hitch.
    all my hardware installed no problem.

seems to be running quite fast as well compared to the win os that was on the drive previous to formatting it

had tried the live cd version first and was impressed

not my first try of ubuntu, tried live cd's before (4 & 5) , but this is the first time I've installed.

looking forward to trying it for real :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Oracle wrote:
    Even Bill Clinton's a Ubuntu fan:
    but it won't go down on him ? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Idgeitman

got my Ubuntu in the post today, 5 copys of the disk and a bunch of stickers all for free ;)

So far i've been using the live version and think its great,

*slaps an Ubuntu sticker onto his laptop*

~ idgeitman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I tried it on my Macbook and was mostly pleasently suprised. There's a few things I don't like (such as their network applet), but its okay in the main.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Fenster wrote:
    I tried it on my Macbook and was mostly pleasently suprised. There's a few things I don't like (such as their network applet), but its okay in the main.

Change it then.

it's not "ubuntu's" network applet, it's more than likley gnome's or whatever desktop enviroment YOU have chosen to use.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Yeah that's one thing I really like about Linux... though it's a complete pain in the arse to get used to (IMO) the level of control I have gives me a boner. (even if I'm not quite sure how to use it yet)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Bonzodog

Just in case people aren't aware, there is an Ubuntuforum community at:
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/

I am an integral part of the Ubuntu community itselfand I also help admin and maintain this doc wiki for Ubuntu - it's basically an archive of the forum how-to's etc:
    The Ubuntu Document Storage Facility

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭hk797

Bonzodog wrote:
    I am an integral part of the Ubuntu community itselfand I also help admin and maintain this doc wiki for Ubuntu

Bonzodog welcome aboard - good to see you on here - a quick Q for you - been getting newbies to use easy ubuntu and automatix depending on their needs with last couple of releases - will I need to continue doing so with 6.10 when it releases later this month or will it have better integrated automated GUI installation scripts?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

two questions
    firefox bombs out on pages with multimedia - I'm guessing it's plugins - how do I remove them ?

WPA - i've tried to get apt-get install wpagui ( terminal - wpa_giu to run )
    and tired editing wpa_supplicant with and without comenting out all the interfaces apart from lo

hk797 wrote:
    been getting newbies to use easy ubuntu and automatix depending on their needs with last couple of releases - will I need to continue doing so with 6.10 when it releases later this month or will it have better integrated automated GUI installation scripts?

Ubuntu definitely wont ship with all the things that Automatix and easy ubuntu do for you (in particular, the w32 codecs can't get shipped with a linux distro). At a guess, I'd say they wont ship with 3rd party closed source software either (like skype, or flash plugin).

I agree though, that it would be really nice to have more stuff automated.

Khannie wrote:
    Ubuntu definitely wont ship with all the things that Automatix and easy ubuntu do for you (in particular, the w32 codecs can't get shipped with a linux distro). At a guess, I'd say they wont ship with 3rd party closed source software either (like skype, or flash plugin).

I agree though, that it would be really nice to have more stuff automated.

Agreed Khannie - hoping that Flash Player 9 beta makes it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Agreed but VLC contains most of the codecs you need anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

hk797 wrote:
    Agreed Khannie - hoping that Flash Player 9 beta makes it ;)
    heh, that's not very likely given that Adobe's Flash Player ****s in the face of the ubuntu philosophy.
    http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/philosophy

(I'd say it's impossible except after seeing things like this I can't help but trudge along with a little bit of doubt in 'em)

Hey Declan,

That winking smilie ;) at the end was meant as a joke.

Agreed wishful thinking if Adobe went open but not holding my breath waiting for it to happen. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

hk797 wrote:
    Hey Declan,

That winking smilie ;) at the end was meant as a joke.

Agreed wishful thinking if Adobe went open but not holding my breath waiting for it to happen. :D
    Ah, heh.

Give gnash a year and it just might be the best flash player ever.

• Advertisement

Edgy (6.10) is out this week.

Khannie wrote:
    Edgy (6.10) is out this week.
    what's the best way to upgrade ?
    download CD and install over the top
    apt-get
    aptitude
    synaptic package manage - can it upgrade all packages at once ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

There's some details on how to upgrade here: http://www.ubuntu.com/news/EdgyReleaseCandidate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

what's the best way to upgrade ?
    download CD and install over the top
    apt-get
    aptitude
    synaptic package manage - can it upgrade all packages at once ?
    apt-get dist-upgrade is for upgrading the whole distro at once. I havent done it on ubuntu so don't know if they do it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

Blowfish wrote:
    apt-get dist-upgrade is for upgrading the whole distro at once. I havent done it on ubuntu so don't know if they do it that way.

You could do it that way, as that's how it's meant to be done with a Debian-based distribution. However, you're possibly better-off using the Ubuntu update-manager instead, since I think that does a certain amount of other clean-up work afterwords, too. It certainly seemed to when I went for Breezy to Dapper, but I didn't pay too much attention to be honest.

Yeah, upgrade manager ftw. I did two upgrades to 6.06, one with apt-get and one with upgrade manager. One was easier. ;)

Khannie wrote:
    Yeah, upgrade manager ftw. I did two upgrades to 6.06, one with apt-get and one with upgrade manager. One was easier. ;)

Second what Khannie recommends.

Older and wiser ... well older :rolleyes:

how to install FireFox 2.0 http://everythingelse.wordpress.com/2006/07/15/howto-install-firefox-20-bon-echo-in-ubuntu/
    you download a script and then run it - always have a quick look at the script to see what it does.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

6.10 has just been released.

To Get Ubuntu 6.10

Download Ubuntu 6.10 here:

Europe:
    http://se.releases.ubuntu.com/6.10/
    http://nl2.releases.ubuntu.com/6.10/

United Kingdom and the rest of the world:
    http://releases.ubuntu.com/6.10/

Another useful site is http://easyubuntu.freecontrib.org/
    Doesn't support edge yet, but I'm sure it will do soon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement