Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel to veg oil conversion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Not entirely sure but I think the diesel works better on older diesels, the veg oil tends to clog up the engine, which is why they need to preheat it before injecting it. Newer engines are more susceptible to this I think. No doubt someone on here will give you the real story.

There have been a few threads on about it from time to time. It's probably something they could make a sticky so people could find it without having to ask. (No offence intended boomshacka)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

There was some lad on boards with a Pajeero running on veg oil and had no problems. I remember reading his posts in 1 of the threads on this issue last year or so, anyone remember him, or is he still on boards??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

I've a Hiace running on veg oil. No problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

THing is what would this do to the resale value of the car and woud it drop the Bhp?

I haven't noticed any difference in power. The motor is smoother and you're carbon neutral.

As for resale value, I would imagine that a 1900 euro conversion which would allow one to run on diesel or veg oil would add to the value.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

In general the most suitable cars for conversion are indirect injection and have bosch injector pumps with mechanical control. The DTi is direct injection, I'm not sure what kind of pump it has but a lot of opels used to have lucas pumps and it almost certainly has electronic control. I wouldn't be in any hurry to go out and do this conversion for economic reasons, I don't think you'll save much because you're certainly talking in the region of €2k to do a proper job, i.e. switchable two tank system with a heat exchange system to heat both the veggie fuel lines and tank. Bear in mind also that many fuel filters can't tolerate heated fuel, the adhesives that hold them together go soft and the filter elements can become detached. The best advice I could give for a newer motor like this would be to talk to elsbett, if they haven't done a conversion on a DTi before, it's probably not feasible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

i was stuck behind one of those veg oil youlks before 4 about an hour in traffic.it was a fella auctually sellin the converter kits well the smell of oil was unreal made me hungry.i rember thinking if he was a chip van he wud of done more business.i like the fact its cheaper to run helps the planet and such and such theres a wikid smell of that oil

And diesel smells like Katie Holmes' perfume, right?

The oil's a great smell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

overdriver wrote:
    And diesel smells like Katie Holmes' perfume, right?

The oil's a great smell.
    LOL!

Thank you, thank you.

I'd like to thank the academy, my producer...

Advertisement