Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Crash - assesors

Options
  • 24-09-2006 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭

Guys,
    Looking for some info for a friend.We were in his car this evening exiting a T junction,light was green and a car coming from the right hand side broke the lights and ploughed the front/drivers wing of the car making mince of the bumper/wing bonnet.

The car went up on two wheels and the car that hit us spun about 4 times then stopped,he then shot off from the scene,god knows how.Neither of us seemed to be injured altho im suprised we werent killed with the force.There were a couple of witnesses but only the start of the reg was gotten,apparently the gaurds have caught up with him but we wont know if he's insured or not untill the morning.

The crash happened beside the mates house so he had the car limp around the corner and parked it up,he's basically wondering now if your man is or isnt insured,does he have to take the car to a garage to have the damage assesed or can he have the car towed to a garage?Does the guy have a choice of 3 different prices to have the car repaired?

Worst case scenario if he is uninsured,how long does a claim take to go thru the mibi?Its a right pain in the arse knowing that we could well have been killed and your man drove off not giving a **** so who is it up to to have him charged with leaving the scene of an accident or is anything even likely to come of that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Also just to add,he contacted his insurance company staight after the crash,if the tool who hit us is actually insured does he contact that drivers insurance company ect or does his own company do all the work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Smithers

ring ur insurance company and report it anyways.

It wont do u any harm.

If at all possible get witness details , these are invaluable when liability is disputed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

eireal wrote:
    Also just to add,he contacted his insurance company staight after the crash,if the tool who hit us is actually insured does he contact that drivers insurance company ect or does his own company do all the work?
    Your friend's insurance company will deal with it and answer any of your questions - that's what he pays them for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

If your friend has fully comp insurance, he can claim from his own policy, which in turn claims from the MIBI - his car will be fixed immediately, and his no claims won't be affected. If he's TPFT, then it'll take alot longer, as you have to put the claim through the MIBI directly.

If the guy was insured then he's sorted anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

The other guy ran for a reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

kdevitt wrote:
    If your friend has fully comp insurance, he can claim from his own policy, which in turn claims from the MIBI - his car will be fixed immediately, and his no claims won't be affected. I

It will be affected until his own company get a settlement. Not being pedantic but it can cause problems. For example, if you policy is up for renewal before it is settled then you have lost you no claims and the policy will be loaded.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

MrPudding wrote:
    It will be affected until his own company get a settlement. Not being pedantic but it can cause problems. For example, if you policy is up for renewal before it is settled then you have lost you no claims and the policy will be loaded.

MrP

Speaking from experience, this was definitely not this case. I was hit by an uninsured driver, proceeded with an MIBI claim through my insurance company. My renewal was three weeks later - absolutely zero loading, or loss of NCB on my policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

OK, two different experiences then. It has happened to me once in the North and once down here. Actually, not with uninsured drivers. Perhaos that makes a difference?

MrP

Just an update,He's tpft so that rules out claiming off his own policy and then the mibi.He rang his company last night to inform them and they said someone will contact him during the week,he said they didnt seem arsed really which is why he's wondering should he do the leg work himself with regards to getting any quotes on repair ect

tell him to get quotes anyway, will do no harm in the long run and may save time.

Have you found out of hes insured or not? ie the 3rd party driver

• Advertisement

Still no word from the gaurds on if your man is insured or not.

He called to the station last night and they told him your man has 10 days to produce his insurance to them,something just seems odd though.

The garda told him when they got your man he ran into a house with a bottle of beer,he said that the guy was clearly pissed but they couldnt breathalize him as he had entered the house and could claim he wasnt drinking in the car.

They want my friend to make a statement too and are trying to charge him(the third party) with leaving the scene of an accident,its annoying the ****e out of my friend as all he wants is his car fixed,in reality the little scrote will probably get a tiny fine and ban for a few months and walk off laughing.

The gaurd also said that if your man was insured,he wouldnt be able to obtain his insurance details or make a claim against him untill the case went to court,which will probably be a year down the road.

He also contacted mibi who said it would be 4 months by the time they would finish there investigation but possibly double that or more if he claimed personal injury.

Its a right kick in the stones considering he depends on the car daily driver.The garage estimate on parts and labour is 4k,altho the car is driving (just about) he doesnt want to risk using it.

Anybody got any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

eireal wrote:
    Still no word from the gaurds on if your man is insured or not.

He called to the station last night and they told him your man has 10 days to produce his insurance to them,something just seems odd though.
    That's crazy. This was a deliberate hit-and-run incident, not a random tax and insurance check, so why the hell should he be given 10 days to produce his details? If this was anywhere else he'd be currently banged up in a police cell awaiting a court appearance, I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats standard proceedure.

Mike.

Turns out your man was insured thank god,My mate said he had an assesor out from the guys company things morning and he was an arsehole and moaning looking over the estimate (its for 4k) The assesor asked him how much he paid for the car and then start saying thats over priced and not worth it ect!

He's basically wondering now if the assesor comes back and says we'll over 1500,whats the procedure then?Do they have the last call on price or is there haggling done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

The other insurance co. will have to stump up 100% of the cost of having the car fixed - they might insist on him using one of their affiliated garages but they will have to put the car back how it was prior to the crash.

The other option is that the assessor will decide that it would cost more to have the car mended that the actual value of the car. This would lead to them offering a 'scrapage value' on the car. Some of these scrapage valuations can be laughable and wouldn't be enough to put you back on the road.

Happened to me - had a car with high mileage but which I had kept serviced and was running in good nick. Got a bang to the side. Assessor had a look and started on about mileage etc and decided to scrap the car. The money I was offered was pretty laughable and wouln't buy a push-bike never mind a car....

the threshhold usually used is the following
    if the repairs are 60% more then the PAV (pre accident value) or book value of the car they will class the car as uneconomical to repair.

I do know of instances where this has happened and the innocent driver has inssited on getting their car repaied no matter what the cost and the insurance company conceded to do same.

An Assessor saying a quote is high is normal considering most garages put on 20% plus to a quote and its up the the asscessor to bring this down for the insurance company thats paying out.

Do you know what car adn year he was driving and what he was offered?

Its a 99 civic,the omsp from revenues site is €8139,the assesor only came out today so i presume it will be next week before he comes back with a price

If the assesor said the car should be scrapped is his decision final or is it still down to my mate what happens to the car?If he's not happy with the insurance companys offer can he haggle so to speak or seek a different estimate?

if the assr thinks its totally unerasonable and unsafe to put back on the road your mate wont have much look changing his mind.

If the car is to be scrapped what normally happens is salvage agents will bid on it, in the state its in, and your mate should be offered the chance to match the highest bid if he wants to keep it himself,

hope thats helps

Advertisement