Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MySQL/HTML quickie...

Options
  • 25-09-2006 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, not sure which way this will work. Basically im selecting a bunch of text from a db and I want to know how I can limit the amout of text actually displayed? So for example, if the database contained the text "The quick fox jumped over the lazy dog" I just want to print out "The quick fox jumped...". Is there a way to do it in the sql query or is it html based? In other words, do I limit it here:

[PHP]$SQL="SELECT * FROM tbl_news";[/PHP]

Or here:

[PHP]print($row);[/PHP]

??

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭frodo_dcu

Hi guys, not sure which way this will work. Basically im selecting a bunch of text from a db and I want to know how I can limit the amout of text actually displayed? So for example, if the database contained the text "The quick fox jumped over the lazy dog" I just want to print out "The quick fox jumped...". Is there a way to do it in the sql query or is it html based? In other words, do I limit it here:

[php]$SQL="SELECT * FROM tbl_news";[/php]
    Or here:

[php]print($row);[/php]
    ??

Thanks guys!

The way i do it is php based but imagin it could be done with mySql

[PHP]$max = 25;
    $text = $row;
    $text_short= substr($text, 0, $max)."...";

print $text_short;[/PHP]

this removes all characters after the 25th one or what ever you set $max too and adds ... to the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Thats perfect, cheers mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Doing it in SQL might be more efficient.. something like
    SELECT id, colA, colB, LEFT( news_content, 25 ) FROM tbl_news

should do the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Appreciate that cgarvey, its always good to learn, I'll try it too!

Advertisement