Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why so long to install broadband???

Options
  • 25-09-2006 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭

hey,

i have just ordered BB with eircom and was told it'll be 3 weeks before it's up and running. Now i have been waiting for bb to come to my area for a good year and a half now, so i have no problem waiting another 3 weeks.

However my mate from newry says that's way too long to wait, that all they have to do is connect my line to a port. Is that true??? if so, why so long to install??

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 playwert

stop moaning ur lucky.i can only[maybe]get bb from net 1 and i rang for a line test in early july and have rung every week since and they STILL have not come out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Benzino wrote:
    hey,

i have just ordered BB with eircom and was told it'll be 3 weeks before it's up and running. Now i have been waiting for bb to come to my area for a good year and a half now, so i have no problem waiting another 3 weeks.

However my mate from newry says that's way too long to wait, that all they have to do is connect my line to a port. Is that true??? if so, why so long to install??

thanks.
    Simple answer to that is....it's Eircom.
    I doubt if it'll be that long though. The longest I've seen from Eircom (and most others ISP's) is 10 working days but it's usually less. They just say 3 weeks to cover themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

stop moaning ur lucky
    i'm not moaning....i clearly stated i don't mine waiting the 3 weeks...and trust me i understand what ur going thru....

For the last year and a half my mates have been teasing me about it saying things like "u want 2 play css tonight...oh wait u can't!!!!!" all very funny, and what was worst..was that they lived only 5 minutes form me!!!!

I just want to know what goes on when connecting ur line to broadband, is it a long process etc etc...
    Simple answer to that is....it's Eircom.
    Although Bt said it would take 2 and a half weeks...but they do use eircom's lines, does that mean eircom have to connect bt lines as well???

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Benzino wrote:
    hey,

thanks.

Does your line pass the BB test online. If so order it online. Not only do you get one months sub free(only if you order online) it says it will take 10 to 14 days. They do have to have a port on your line but they may have to do it manually which can take more time. Either way after years of waiting 3 weeks does not seem that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Benzino wrote:
    Although Bt said it would take 2 and a half weeks...but they do use eircom's lines, does that mean eircom have to connect bt lines as well???

simple answer to that is yes. And i usually say 2 weeks on the phone but let them know it has not been unheard of and that i have to say 3 but dont expect to wait that long as its more of a fail-safe type method to cover our own backs.

Generally as someone else mentioned its 10 business days or less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

From my own experience its the fault of the cabbages who work in eircom (who ultimately are the end provider for nearly everybody not on cable, satellite, Magnet or Smart Telecom) Retail/Wholesale. Presumably they need this 3 weeks to spell your name and address correctly, and get the paperwork correct. By the way, if they don't get it right, nobody will tell you, nobody will tell your provider, oh and by the way, nobody can fix it but you, which is pretty difficult since nobody will tell you what the problem is in the first place.

I spent nearly 2 months waiting for BB from Imagine because some cabbage in eircom hadn't closed off a work order to fix a fault on my line from a couple of months previously. Oh and they wouldn't let anybody but the customer close it - despite the customer not knowing that it hadn't been closed or needed to be closed!

From working in a networking field I can tell you that the actual technical side isn't particularly involved - the problem is getting all the paperwork and approvals in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Does your line pass the BB test online. If so order it online. Not only do you get one months sub free(only if you order online) it says it will take 10 to 14 days. They do have to have a port on your line but they may have to do it manually which can take more time. Either way after years of waiting 3 weeks does not seem that long.
    i have already ordered it thru the phone as i ordered with them twice online, as i was upgrading form isdn, but they never recieved both of the orders. So after week i was going to go to BT, but my dad insisted on eircom...so i'm with eircom.

I'll the line in 10 days to see if it is connected.

Advertisement