Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Encryption

• 25-09-2006 12:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

Thanks to a few of the guys here I have successfully set up a wireless internet connection using the Eircom(Netopia 2247NWG) modem and a Netgear W111T wireless adapter. I have set this up using WEP encryption and everything is fine with the adapter to modem signal strength at V. Good to Excellent. As some ppl have reccommended WPA over WEP and as WPA is generally recognised as better security I changed the encryption I'm using to WPA-PSK. However when I do this the signal strength goes from V.Good to Excellent to Good or Low. I would not have expected the encryption status to have any effect on the signal strength. Any ideas why this might be happening.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Nope!

Are you sure it's not coincidental? i.e. Interference from another source, say for example: a microwave, wireless alarm, other wireless network?

If youy switch back to WEP, does the signal strength go back to Vgood / excellent? Are you changing anything else, like switching from 'b' to 'g' or changing channel number?

Also try NetStumbler. It will give you a more accurrate reading on your signal strength than V Good/Excellent. Compare with and without WPA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Does not appear to be coincidence as the signal strength does indeed return to V.Good or Excellant. I found Netslumber and installed it. When I ran it first it showed 2 devices: "Netgear Adapter Atheros" and "Netgear Adapter NDIS 5.1". It finds nothing on the first but does find my wireless network on the second(NDIS). It reports the following details:

SNR: 34
    Signal+: -63
    Noise-: -100
    SNR+: 37

I am not sure how to decipher this information but I assume the signal strength is 63%. I'm not sure if 63% is good or bad, indeed I'm surprised it is not 100% as the Netgear Adapter is only about 4 feet away from the Netopia Modem. All this is with WEP security. I do have a Bluetooth mouse, not sure if this would have any effect but if it did surely it would effect both WEP and WAP. If the details posted shed any light on this I would appericate any ideas, otherwise I think I will leave well enough alone. It's a 26 digit WEP key so while WAP may be better I don't want to sacrafice signal strength for the extra protection as the wireless network is only used by my son for his PSP so I do not need it active all the time.

Hi Prisoner, can you switch to WPA and tell us what the readings are from NetStumbler?

By the way, they're different drivers for the same device, rather than different devices. Your Wireless card must not support access in the other mode (Atheros), which is why nothing shows up (you card must use a different chipset).

SNR: Signal to noise ration, measured in Decibels.
    Signal+ : Is the highest seen signal strength. This is not a percentage. It's measured in dBms (decibel power measure).
    Noise-: lowest noise value
    SNR+: Highest seen signal to noise value.

Your SNR is fine (in fact, technically it's excellent (26dBm and above).

So, show us the equivalent info for WPA.

There are the results I get from Netslumber when I use WAP Protection:

SNR: 47
    Signal+: -52
    Noise-: -100
    SNR+: 48

Most of these numbers would appear fine except the Signal appears lower.

You're getting a better signal than you were earlier, with WEP.
    The signal+ will probably fluctuate a bit.. I wouldn't worry about it..

Maybe your router is putting out a less powererful signal when it has to encrypt all of the network traffic. Anyroads you shouldn't notice any service degradation.

• Advertisement

Sound Krusty, thanks for the explaination. As the router is only feet away from the adapter it makes me wonder what it would be like if I had them a few rooms apart. Anyways I will monitor it over the next few days and run Netslumber now and again, it's a neat little app.

No worries... If you feel up to it, there are knoppix distributions of linux (i.e. bootable from a CD, don't need to be installed) that contain apps like Kismet, which are a lot more powerful than NetStumbler. They'll do things like show wireless networks that don't broadcast their SSIDs, show attempts to probe your network etc.. Example: BackTrack

Advertisement