Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Few queries...

• 25-09-2006 2:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

It started out as just a few questions...but the list just kept growing. :) I apologise in advance for (i) any offence that this could possibly cause. This is all done in a spirit of innocence to quench my insatiable thirst for knowledge! (ii) any difficulty you have understanding; probably not the most succint questions I've ever asked but I just typed them as they occured to me! (iii) spelling and grammar errors. You never can be too careful. :)

1. I've read the Saudi flag contains verses from the Quran; what does it say?
    2. The sticky link to the Quran is broken; can someone link me to another version? The version linked to in the charter just seems to be a transliteration. I'd prefer readability to a literal translation if that makes any difference.
    3. Shia/Sunni: I've read something of the historical origins of these groups, I think I'd be a theoretical Sunni although that's possibly because I even have a hard time accepting that god is 'better' than I am. However are there any other main groups?
    4. Interpretation: Is the Quran interpreted literally or purposively?
    5. Afterlife: What can possibly happen to you when you die? By that I mean heaven, hell, etc.
    6. Irish Muslims: What is the current number of Muslims living in Ireland?
    7. The future: Christians believe that Jesus will return someday; does Islam have any similar 'end of the world' prediction? Did God say that he would communicate with anyone else in future; indeed, has he spoken directly with man since then?
    8. Ireland/Irish: People who are born in Ireland are Irish, people who believe in Christ are Christians. However people who practice Islam are Muslim. Why are these two words so different? Is this just how Arabic grammar works in creating (adjectives? sry, can't think of the word), or are they separate words with distinct meanings?
    9. 'Internal Controversy': Within Christianity a debate that's really started to hit the news is that of creationism v evolution. Does Islam have any similar big internal theological debate that those of us in the non-Muslim world might not be aware of?

Anyway, that's me for now. Thanking you in advance for any help you can give!

-Far

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

Hi Farcear! Welcome to the forum!

Sorry for the delay.
    Farcear wrote:
    1. I've read the Saudi flag contains verses from the Quran; what does it say?
    It says "There is no god but God. Mohamed is the messenger of God"
    Farcear wrote:
    2. The sticky link to the Quran is broken; can someone link me to another version? The version linked to in the charter just seems to be a transliteration. I'd prefer readability to a literal translation if that makes any difference.
    http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/
    Also, this one:
    http://www.islamicity.com/QuranSearch/
    Farcear wrote:
    3. Shia/Sunni: I've read something of the historical origins of these groups, I think I'd be a theoretical Sunni although that's possibly because I even have a hard time accepting that god is 'better' than I am. However are there any other main groups?
    I'm not really sure what you mean Farcear. In any part of Islam, God is most certainly considered greater and better than anything else. There aren't any other main groups in Islam other than Sunni and Shia.
    Farcear wrote:
    4. Interpretation: Is the Quran interpreted literally or purposively?
    Depends very much on the verses in question. Sometimes God sets forth a parable to give an analogy. These are obviously not supposed to be taken literally but are rather meant to be for contemplation. Other verses may be taken literally.
    Farcear wrote:
    5. Afterlife: What can possibly happen to you when you die? By that I mean heaven, hell, etc.
    Wait in your grave until judgement day. Then, after judgement, heaven or hell.
    Farcear wrote:
    6. Irish Muslims: What is the current number of Muslims living in Ireland?
    About 20,000 although some argue that this number isn't accurate.
    Farcear wrote:
    7. The future: Christians believe that Jesus will return someday; does Islam have any similar 'end of the world' prediction? Did God say that he would communicate with anyone else in future; indeed, has he spoken directly with man since then?
    In Islam, we also believe that Jesus (peace be upon him) will return to the earth to lead believers through hardship and victory and kill the anti-Christ.
    Here's a link.
    http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/pillars/signsofthelasthour.html

The last time any human being received revelation was the Prophet Mohamed (peace be upon him) around 1400 years ago. Nobody else will receive revelation before Jesus (peace be upon him).
    Farcear wrote:
    8. Ireland/Irish: People who are born in Ireland are Irish, people who believe in Christ are Christians. However people who practice Islam are Muslim. Why are these two words so different? Is this just how Arabic grammar works in creating (adjectives? sry, can't think of the word), or are they separate words with distinct meanings?
    Just as you guessed, it's Arabic grammar. Islam comes from the Arabic root word S-L-M which can mean submission, purity or peace. Islam is submission to the One true God (Allah in Arabic). A Muslim is one who submits to Allah.
    Farcear wrote:
    9. 'Internal Controversy': Within Christianity a debate that's really started to hit the news is that of creationism v evolution. Does Islam have any similar big internal theological debate that those of us in the non-Muslim world might not be aware of?
    Recently made a post about this here:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52090294&postcount=22
    Farcear wrote:
    Anyway, that's me for now. Thanking you in advance for any help you can give!
    You're welcome :) I hope these answers were satisfactory.

Here's a link for info about Islam.
    http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Zone-English-Discover_Islam/DIEZone

Advertisement