Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seeing characters in a new light

• 25-09-2006 10:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭

NTL only got installed this weekend and as I'm broke I went on and watched most of BSG (up to Resurrection Ship).

Anyway, it got me thinking about the characters and how my opinion on them has changed with this rewatching.

Apollo: He really is a whingey, superior twat isn't he? I rather liked him before but now he irritates. The scene which captured this completely was at the end 'You can't go home again'.

Like a 10 year old, he tearfully asks Adama whether or not he'd do the same thing for him if he was missing. Gag. What age is he?

Tigh: Everyone is aware of Tigh's limitations. His nasty streak and his almost myopic inability to stand back from situations. However, his patience with the tarty Apollo and the arsehole Kara is somewhat saintly. His total admission that he isn't really up to command and the fact that he doesn't want it mark him out as a honet guy. Who is loyal to his friends to a fault.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i have to disagree i cant even think of any problems with the bsg charactors
    there well written

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

User45701 wrote:
    i have to disagree i cant even think of any problems with the bsg charactors
    there well written

You misunderstand what I'm trying to say. I've got nothing but respect for how the characters are written and for the actors that play them!

Indeed, there should be some characters that we dislike! All I'm saying is that Apollo is a character I've increasingly come to dislike. He's still a great character though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I also found Apollo a bit of a whiney git on my 2nd watch through them all, still like the guy though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

I thought Starbuck was pretty cool til about 3/4 of the way through the first series. I cant believe that someone so self-destructive and random in her behaviour would have the respect of Adama.
    I think Tigh is cool but he didn't get much exposure in series two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I didn't have to rewatch either series to think the character of Apollo is a bit of an annoying git.

The only characters I have thought consistantly both excellent and likable are the Chief and Helo....the rest of them, whilst not withouttheir charms of couse, do tend to irritate at some stage throughout the show.

Funny enough, despite the thread title, my opinion of certain characters hasn't changed much outside of the initial few episodes, which is to be expected as you get accustomed to everybody and start to recognise traits etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

HavoK wrote:
    I didn't have to rewatch either series to think the character of Apollo is a bit of an annoying git.
    Same as that. Grand character, but definitely a bit of a moany-michael.

Starbuck also annoys me at times, but not all the time.

One of the good things about the show is the depth of the characters, most of them have some flaw or another.

HavoK wrote:
    The only characters I have thought consistantly both excellent and likable are the Chief and Helo....

I'm with you on the chief. Saavy, grounded (excepting the whole Sharon 'hiccup' ;) ) and cool under fire.

But Helo? I've always thought he was the weakest of the main characters. I always bought the Chief & Sharon way more than I bought Helo & Sharon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Anyone else think Doc Cottle is a fantastic character? Not really a central character but great in any scene he's in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Goodshape wrote:
    Anyone else think Doc Cottle is a fantastic character? Not really a central character but great in any scene he's in.

Yeah, I think he's an excellent character. I'm sure we're gonna see more of him. What I'd like to know is: Where's he getting all those cigarettes? As an ex-smoker, I can safely say that no smoker ever really carries more than a two week suppy at any one time (and only then if they have just used the duty free). There seems to be a more or less endless supply on galactica.

Goodshape wrote:

He's got the best cranky one liners in the series.

His total irreverence to Tight is always amusing:
    "What'd you expect, genius? You put a pilot in charge of crowd control"

Actually, I just read there that Rhodes (Cottle) was one of the three finalists up for the role of Tigh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I find tigh a much more enjoyable character 2nd time around. Can't believe cottle was up for his position. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 powerb

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Demondaze

A bit off-topic, but rather than discuss seeing characters in a new light, I just thought I'd mention how episodes like Pegasus, Resurrection Ship and Downloaded made me reconsider Tricia Helfer's acting abilities completely. Before these episodes I'd pretty much just written her off as The Pretty Blonde One™ but the way she plays three different characters across those episodes (Regular Gaius!Six, Caprica!Six and Pegasus!Six) and totally sells the fact that all three are unique blew me away. I still don't particularly like Gaius!Six, preferring the conflicted complexity of her Caprican counterpart (mmmm, aliteration) to the former's near one-note devoutness, which is probably why I wasn't able to see, prior to these episodes, that Helfer is a pretty good actress.

I suppose I've never really thought about how difficult it must be to play the various Six's without ever having them blur into one another.

Helfer is a beautiful woman - no doubt about that. But isn't very attractive - she is coldly outworldly beautiful. She is the perfect embodiment of the mental image of artificial human.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

quad_red wrote:
    I suppose I've never really thought about how difficult it must be to play the various Six's without ever having them blur into one another.

Helfer is a beautiful woman - no doubt about that. But isn't very attractive - she is coldly outworldly beautiful. She is the perfect embodiment of the mental image of artificial human.
    eh yeah....... what he said

Advertisement