Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Broadband provider

• 25-09-2006 10:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭

I recently gave my old PC to my brother as i am going to get a new Macbook.

I had the PC set up to use Eircom Broadband but my brother is on Perlico. Now his Perlico connection works fine on his old PC, but when we tried to set up my PC on it it says there is an IP conflict. Checked around the setup manuals and stuff and all it says is to make sure any previous routers are uninstalled before tryign to configure the new one.

But there are no drivers as far as i can see for the Netopia router i had with Eircom.

Can anyone give me any help on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

setanta5 wrote:
    I recently gave my old PC to my brother as i am going to get a new Macbook.

I had the PC set up to use Eircom Broadband but my brother is on Perlico. Now his Perlico connection works fine on his old PC, but when we tried to set up my PC on it it says there is an IP conflict. Checked around the setup manuals and stuff and all it says is to make sure any previous routers are uninstalled before tryign to configure the new one.

But there are no drivers as far as i can see for the Netopia router i had with Eircom.

Can anyone give me any help on this?
    To get an "IP Conflict" you have to have two devices using the same address. Which means that at least one of them is using a static address.

Change the PCs to use DHCP. In Windows XP, you do this by clicking on Start and then right-clicking on Network Places. Select Properties, then right-click on the Local Area Connection link in the window that opens. Again, select Properties, then double-click on "Internet Protocol", and make sure that both buttons are set to "Obtain ... Automatically".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭setanta5

I'll try that, cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭setanta5

Thanks Foxwood...thats worked !!!!

Advertisement