Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

borrowed mates hilti cordless drill - expensive??

Options
  • 25-09-2006 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

just hoping this is not going to be an expensive lesson

i needed to drill some holes in some sleepers last week so asked my mate for a lend of his 36volt hilti to do the job as he is always raving about it

needless to say it did a good job on first three holes drilledbut then bit got stuck on next hole i put it in reverse to get it out but next thing smoke and dead drill

anybody know what went wrong here? more importantly is it fixable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Aye carumba

no idea, but it will be expensive, i'd reckon 600 to a grand for a 36 volt hilti

http://www.knighton-tools.co.uk/acatalog/36v_Cordless_Tools.html

look anything like that? the good thing is that such expensive power tools are normally repairable as opposed to just getting dumped in the bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

can it be fixed yes/ expensive prolly

see http://www.hilti.ie/holie/modules/prcat/prca_fuse.jsp?RANGE_OID=28660

new the whole lot is 805 plus vat- special offer at present,

however it may still be under warranty, how old is it- they do a 2 year one

this where they are located
    http://www.hilti.ie/holie/modules/stores/stlo_main.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

yep thats the one

looks like i can drop it in to them for repair estimate

fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Presuming your buddy has a trade account with Hilti. Hilti have a "Repair Cost Limit" on all their tools. This means that no matter what you have done to the tool it will not cost more than this to repair it. Luckily the Repair cost limit on a TE6-A is €130. Replacment cost would be about €800 plus VAT for trade.

dont know if he has trade account or not as he is a bit of an ebayer

dont want to ask him as hes away on holidays at the moment and he left a vast array of his tools with me for safekeeping:) as last time he was away his house was broken into and they made their way into his garage where his van was

dont really want to spoil his holiday, hopefully i can get it fixed before he returns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Give Hilti a call on 1850287387 with the serial number. They will tell you what the situation is with that particular tool as they keep records. They will need his say so to repair it if it is in his name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

That drill is designed for impact not torque. It's intended to be used to drill concrete and not wood. The bushings are probably what's burnt out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

FX Meister wrote:
    That drill is designed for impact not torque. It's intended to be used to drill concrete and not wood. The bushings are probably what's burnt out.

Thats why I'd never lend tools to anyone, most times people couldn't even choose the right drillbit, and think the smoke and fumes are FX. Bloody Tossers, if only they could be more careful.

I'd be surprised if this problem is covered by warranty. Afterall most people know there is a difference between wood and concrete etc!

beolight, The tagline says "smoke coming out of the battery" you didn't specify where the smoke came from in the post... have you tries another battery or tried that battery in another drill??

thanks to all for their advise and help
    Thats why I'd never lend tools to anyone, most times people couldn't even choose the right drillbit, and think the smoke and fumes are FX. Bloody Tossers, if only they could be more careful.

I'd be surprised if this problem is covered by warranty. Afterall most people know there is a difference between wood and concrete etc!

i do feel very bad about this and you are probably right.if i have to buy him a new one so be it

i did ask him first and he said it would fly through them, even read the manual before using it and drilling into wood was okay on the right setting and i used a wood sds bit

still i am suitably chastened
    beolight, The tagline says "smoke coming out of the battery" you didn't specify where the smoke came from in the post... have you tries another battery or tried that battery in another drill??

smoke came from bottom where battery was after removing battery it looks like it was the contacts on the drill
    drill came with 2 batteries i tried the other one and nothing

i put first battery in recharger, the red light is just flicking on and off, how long does it take to charge? i couldnt find manual for charger been in charger half a day now

• Advertisement

beolight wrote:
    i put first battery in recharger, the red light is just flicking on and off, how long does it take to charge? i couldnt find manual for charger been in charger half a day now

Usually one to three hours.

in some chargers a flashing light indicates fully charged.

Sounds like its the electronic speed controller thats cooked... I had one blow on a cheapo (€30) drill once.

Advertisement