Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BB in Dun Laoghiare, Mst be wireless with no external fittings.

Options
  • 25-09-2006 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

I just moved to Dun Laoghaire and have an apartment in one of the older buildings, it is not possible to get BB through the land line as the wiring is too old and the managment company say that it cant be rewired just for my use.
    They also say i cant have any fixtures on the roof or the outside wall.

Does anyone have any ideas? Even something i can approach the managment with?

Any help much appreciated as i know very little about this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Wireless BB will work through the window, if window is directly facing mast. but not at much of an angle. Don't know if you can see Three Rock?

A single communal "aerial" on the roof can feed many modems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

SmoothyG wrote:
    Does anyone have any ideas? Even something i can approach the managment with?

Above suggestion is a good one. I'd go around the building and see who else is interested in getting it and then approach management if you have enough numbers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

yes, you may stick the aerial (its a small white plastic box) to the inside of the window (facing 3 rock) with double back tape and you are compliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Moved from IoffL > BB

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SmoothyG

where is 3 rocks, i only moved here recently from the Kingdom!

I had a guy from digi web call over yesterday evening and he was not able to get a signal from the window, ill go around the apartment tonight and ask the other tennants, although the managment company said i was the only one interested.

is there any companies that you can recomend that do wireless?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

the laws of physics are the same as in kerry

masts are on mountains so if digiweb have no signal then nobody else does on your side of the building .

a neighbour on the west side high up (ie FACING A MOUNTAIN ) could maybe get it and plug in a wireless router to supply you (and / or others)

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SmoothyG

i didnt know 3 rocks was the the name of the mountains.
    i meant i would go round the building to see if the other tenants were interested in broadband so i could get th managment company to put up an arial.

i also wasnt aware that all the companies used the same mast.

any other options?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

SmoothyG wrote:
    i didnt know 3 rocks was the the name of the mountains.
    i meant i would go round the building to see if the other tenants were interested in broadband so i could get th managment company to put up an arial.

i also wasnt aware that all the companies used the same mast.

any other options?

I don't know if they all share the same mast. I'm sure they all build on the highest ground available though to get the most coverage.

Advertisement