Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Una Taaffe

Options
  • 25-09-2006 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

just got a text from a friend telling me UT died, she was a legend

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

alibabba wrote:
    just got a text from a friend telling me UT died, she was a legend

She certainly left an impression when she walked past along with other things.I remember having to help her with her groceries a few years ago when she came into the shop i worked in,she was quiet pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

are ya sure?

is she?

Yup its official on Gbay Fm news.

http://www.galwaybayfm.ie/index2.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

no, say it ain't so!

Who'll i dream of playing tennis with now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

RIP Una, I'll toast ya next time I'm out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

who was una taaffe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

One of the last of the Auld Galway girls...RIP Una..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

One of her dogs bit me on the leg when I was a kid. Happened at lunch time, me and one of my friends were just walking up the street when all of a sudden about 3 or 4 of her dogs dashed out of the shop. Started sprinting but one of them caught up to me by Glynns(now Treasure Chest) and took a bite. I gave it a good kick and they ran back to the shop.

I always made sure I crossed the street after that. :p

Apparently she was supposed to have been quite a looker back in the day...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

the end of an era, R.I.P..
    so many stories, from funny to bizzare to some disturbing ones. we'll never see the likes of her again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

RIP Love of my life.

Bet you'll have plenty of relatives coming out of the shadows for a stake in the shop.

Anyone got pictures of her in her youth? I find it hard to believe she was a hottle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Have a bit of cop on will ye

grasshopa wrote:
    Have a bit of cop on will ye

Regarding what exactly? Just because she croaked does not mean anyones memorys of her are going to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Maybe so.

But there's an unwritten rule that you don't mock someone for a period after they have passed away.

Even Charlie Haughey's most vicious adversaries adhered to it.

Grow up and talk about something intelligent. If ye can.

Go on, ban me. Just cause i don't stoop to ye're imbecilic levels of thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

You mean the "too soon, too soon" rule? Ah, to be honest, there's nothing really known about her to respect, all we have to go on is the editorials in the advertiser. For the last few years she was out and about, she was a kook. Dressed in garish makeup, with a smelly dirty shop, she was an object of ridicule for the mid twenties among us. Does that change just cos she's dead? Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Out of respect for her family, do not post this crap on the internet. If it was one of your loved ones how would you feel?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

RIP Una. :(

WP, maybe you only knew her from the editorials in the Advertiser but there are others who knew her through other ways than that. (no smart comments on that, you know exactly what i mean).

Just because she was a well known figure amongst Galwegians doesn't mean she is/was public property.

Let her rest in peace. And let those who have made mindless, smart-arsed remarks about her go and find something intelligent to say.

kraggy wrote:
    Maybe so.

But there's an unwritten rule that you don't mock someone for a period after they have passed away.

"For a period" , thats a laugh.So when is it OK to "mock" , seeing as she was mocked for the past 2-3 decades.Reading through this thread i can only see one person taking the piss the rest were funny memories, no need to be so PC.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

grasshopa wrote:
    Out of respect for her family, do not post this crap on the internet. If it was one of your loved ones how would you feel?
    Are you serious, I would have to question a family that lets one of their own work and live in a place that reeks of dog sh1te and piss while the whole town walks past and sniggers.
    If it was one of my loved ones? , well from this thread i can see only one comment thats inappropriate the rest are truthful memories, so dont kid yourself and think everyones going for a minutes silence.Afterall did you not start a thread on her and sarcastically said she was hot...?????

i'm not saying, right, 5,4,3,2,1 time's up, give it your all and rip the piss all you want.

i'm just saying, have a bit of respect for the lady at this time. if people can't do that, then they deserve alot worse themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭the_galway_fry

have heard she sold the place for a million euros but its to be contested legally by her relatives.
    fwiw i think a bit of respect for her really wouldnt hurt whether you knew her or not. its just good manners

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

the thread is about a character famous on the streets of galway who passed away and who rightly deserved a moment on the boards.ie forum ( imho )
    who cares if she had bad points as well as good points
    she was still a character, and galway is losing its character by the day
    someone came back from been abroad after 15 years recently and couldnt believe how galway city has changed.

no need to bad mouth the poor girl, regardless of some people's memories of her. one person said show a bit of repsect, this is good advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

People loved her being around Galway she was a character for all the good reasons...she didnt have a bad bone in her body that i know of...(Some of her dogs did though)

I remember her from my time knocking around town during school lunches and she always brightened the hour off...

Sure people made fun of her but thats their small minded opinions....

Most towns would be glad to have a woman like her around its what differentiates Galway from the usual carbon copy UK towns that are infiltrating ireland like the plague

Galway is worse off without her....RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

Here is the Official Link taken from rip.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

She still looks dirt :\

And grasshopa wtf man.

that's a nice thing to say.

you seem intelligent and human.

• Advertisement

DRakE wrote:
    She still looks dirt :\

And grasshopa wtf man.

Bad form dude.What if the same thing was said about people looking at your mother's pic after she died.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement