Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband - Clearwire

Options
  • 25-09-2006 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭

Despite living v near to Dublin City center (just off Mount St. Behind Holles st hospital) the number of broadband providers serving where I live is severly limited. Clearwire is available but i don't know anyone who has it so can't get advice on whether or not to get it installed. I'd be grateful if anyone could give me details of their specific products.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

I have Clearwire in Dundalk and am happy enough with it. No problems so far anyway! It is actually quicker than my Eircom broadband that I ditched when moving house. But I just use it for general browsing, no gaming or anything along those lines though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

AFAIK Clearwire assign lowpriority to certain sites - Bittorrent and the like - and it virtually disables file sharing on their broadband.

However you can overcome it with TOR.

This is all second hand info so you might want to double check it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 nancy

i was ecstatic with clearwire when i first signed up, namely because they can get you up and running the same day you sign up.

service worked great for six months. after that, my speed dropped to around 100k down and an unusable 5kbps up. i spent about two months talking to tech support (who gave me lots of *super helpful* advice like, "clear out your cookies") and then i gave up. the problem with a shared service like clearwire is that you risk going thru very slow connection periods when the area you live in gets too many customers and clearwire waits as long as possible before investing in new gear to support all the users.

now the problem is that despite the fact that i cancelled the service in august, i'm still being billed for it. i called three times after i cancelled and got confirmations that it was cancelled. then i got another bill and was told they never recieved the modem so it wasn't ever cancelled. make sure to get your receipt from the post if you return their modem! i'm hoping that will help me but i won't hold my breath--i'm sure i'll be billed again and again...

Advertisement