Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Googlebot eating bandwidth

Options
  • 25-09-2006 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

I have a site that does about 400Mb of traffic a month at the mo, but the googlebot is eating a further 1.2 GB. MSN and Yahoo bots combined only consume 10Mb. I've got my robots.txt set to keep the bots out of the admin area and the phpbb forum. It's a dynamic mysql/php site. Obviously I want to keep my rankings up but would like the bot to calm down a bit. Any ideas on why it's spidering me so often or tips to reduce the traffic?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Try using Google Sitemap?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Is there anything in particular which would account for big bandwidth - images, videos, etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Nope - not really. It's mainly text with mainly small images and the odd few 640*480 jpgs.

I had a look at sitemaps a while back but it seemed not to be well set up for database driven sites. I might be wrong in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You might want to check which URLs are being hit the most.. I was doing a couple of megs constant earlier this year as I had a few Ubuntu packages on my blog :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭vito

Yep probably getting stuck in a loop somewhere. Usually caused by the way you are processing dynamic URL requests.

Things like dynamically generated calendars (where month/year is set through URL) can also cause issues as Googlebot doesn;t seem to know when to stop sometimes.

• Advertisement

Thanks. I'll have a look at the logs. Do you guys use any particular tools for browsing logs? AWstats usually works for me, but it won't work for this. Regular text editor?

How might I search for a loop - multiple requests for the same page in a short period of time?

Awstats will show you the top URLs requested

But it filters out the bot requests, right?

squibs wrote:
    But it filters out the bot requests, right?
    Not really.

Have a closer look

Advertisement