Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Save TopGear petition

Options
  • 25-09-2006 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭

I took this off vagdrivers.net:

As we are all well aware, politicians, do-gooders, environmetalists and everyone else imaginable is now trying to get Top Gear banned from our teles due to Richard Hammonds terrible crash.

This was posted on the ScottishVag.com forum that i use but im sure no-one will mind me posting it here.

http://www.petitiononline.com/tg100/petition.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

This is ridiculous.....he crashed attempting to break a record....the fact that it was being shown on Top Gear is irrelevant if you ask me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

voted for it too stay,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Is anyone actually making a solid attempt to ban it, they have comments on it but I don't see anyone trying to ban it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

There have been rumblings about how politically incorrect it has become, glorifying speed etc over the last few series.
    The way the world is becoming so bloody PC, "you can't do this because it MIGHT offend some one" etc....
    All the chin strokers and tree huggers are bitching about how much damage the car is doing to the ozone, I don't see them trying to ban cows because they actually are the biggest producers of gas that affects the ozone....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

There have been rumblings about how politically incorrect it has become, glorifying speed etc over the last few series.
    The way the world is becoming so bloody PC, "you can't do this because it MIGHT offend some one" etc....
    All the chin strokers and tree huggers are bitching about how much damage the car is doing to the ozone, I don't see them trying to ban cows because they actually are the biggest producers of gas that affects the ozone....
    Okay, I agree with the petition, no need to getrid of TG over what has happened.
    But the comment above is daft.
    Cows, are a necissity + the fact that they are animals. Green house gas emissions is a human caused problem. Cows could easily exist on the planet without humans and not cause any major pollution.
    Cars with big engines, in general, are not a necissuty and as such the emissions from them could in theory be cut down or gotten rid of anyway.
    Off topic, I know-but thats my rant over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I've signed the petition. Its up to 20,700 signatures now. About 50 of them in the last 2 minutes or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Double post. Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I'm in at 20712.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I signed it too. I actually don't like the show, but taking it off the air because it offends some PC do-gooders is bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭ffocused

The worst that could happen is TG moving from the BBC. fifth Gear on Five are doing the same things as TG because it is what viewers want.(BTW the new series is starting tonight)
    Off the top of my head i cannot think of any program that was bannned because of politicians or anyone else.
    It is just the anti Clarkson brigade piping up again. Remember a few months ago he said something about cyclists.....
    will still sign the petition though.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

20964 Signatures Total

Petitions rarely work, but what the heck!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Top gear could always go back to it's original format. Maybe in it's current format someone else could get hurt. They do alot of crazy and wacky things.

PS. not putting down TG, i think it is a great show. But it is wacky

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I think all the wackey stuff that happens on TG is what people enjoy about it, i like some of them but wouldnt mind more car reviews.
    Will be voting for it to stay anyway.

And if your really going to go on about polutors, concrete is one of the worst for CO2 gasses (1 ton of concrete produces 1 ton of CO2 gasses apparently :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

skibum wrote:
    All the chin strokers and tree huggers are bitching about how much damage the car is doing to the ozone, I don't see them trying to ban cows because they actually are the biggest producers of gas that affects the ozone....:rolleyes:

well Jeremy is class A bigot there is no doubt about it, did you read his column in the indo last week when he suggested the homeless should move to the countryside. They should keep Top Gear but produced another regular car review show.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

kippy wrote:
    Cars with big engines, in general, are not a necissity and as such the emissions from them could in theory be cut down or gotten rid of anyway

You Sir, have no place in a Top Gear thread with that attitude! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

Yes...PC, driving me around the bend!Top gear isnt just for carnuts, in my opinion its the most family accessible program of all time,like...everyone likes it, even people who have no interest in cars it appeals them(eg my boss is a women in her 50s no interest in cars etc but we all have a banter about what happenen last nite on monday mornings!).It wont be banned....imagine the outcry, those do-gooders are a very small % who have the bother to complain!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

21890 thus far.

Down with this sort of thing (oversensative PC-ness that is)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mark Lawson in the Guardian wrote an article tut-tuting at such japes, the mailbag he got in return might give him pause for thought.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1878288,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=27

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I doubt Top Gear will be cancelled.

Someone actually died doing a practise-run for a stunt on Noel's House Party and even that series wasn't cancelled FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Signed 26185

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

done and dusted

Advertisement