Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20 years on Wednesday since Cliff Burton Died.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Black NG-60-90

Aye, indeed. I shall wear my Ride The Lightning t-shirt and listen to nothing but the first 3 Metallica albums that day.
    RIP Cliff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

God I remember that. Never a fan of the band but still a real shock.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Ah god, I knew id forget. Thanks for the reminder. It was great to hear Orion played live during the summer. And the image of Cliff on the screen was cool. Wonder what it was like to see them back when he was a member of the band?

RIP Cliff

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

Check THIS out.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Wow, can't believe it's 20 years ago! Anniversary is the same night as the Blind Guardian gig in Dublin.

RIP Cliff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I was at a David Lee Roth gig in April 2004 and this guy was telling me about the time he saw Cliff Burton and Metallica play in a place called...what was the name of it again....i cant remember, but it was their first apperance here and it was only two weeks before Burton died. He said he's never remembered anyone who could play Bass with more agression. Personally I was in nappies when Burton died, but I would have hoped and prayed that Metallica had some demos they did with him tucked away, unfortunely that doesnt look to be the case.

Im sure either Metallica or Megadeth (prob both) will make announcements on their websites concerning it.

i have to say also, i think that Metallica would have been a different band if Cliff had lived, theres no doubt about that...from both an emotional, physcological and musical standpoint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I wasn't really a fan but remember it well. 20 years!! My God!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Motley Crue, Metallica played at the SFX

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

"F.W.T.B.T (I Dream of Lars Ulrich Being Thrown through the Bus Window instead of My Master Mystikall Kliff Burton)"

I love that phrase :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Legend?! pschh. If he was alive he wouldnt be one. just like Kurt or 2pac only to a lesser extent,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Oh, of course, he'd just be a mind-bogglingly talented musician who we love for not having died and for potentially having influenced Metallica's later output, which can only be for the better, and that's worth far more than some trivial "legend" status. He was phenomenally talented, so it's hardly fair to comment like that. He can't be overrated as a musician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

What a lot of people forget is that he was only in Metallica for three and a half years. He achieved a hell of a lot in a short time and was rightly regarded as a great and innovative player before his death, not just a typical posthumous status enhancement. He was destined for great things, a hugely talented musician and, personally, I learned a lot by jamming bass along to the Cliff Em All video when I took up bass playing back in the day. A tragic death but one has to be grateful to have experienced such talent even for so short a time.

Wednesday today, but nothing on the official Megadeth site
    http://www.megadeth.com/

And Metallicas website
    http://www.metallica.com/

for shame:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Dreamcrusher

evad_lhorg wrote:
    Legend?! pschh. If he was alive he wouldnt be one. just like Kurt or 2pac only to a lesser extent,
    No offence, but you deserve a swift backhand to the face for that remark.
    Its not just because hes dead that people go on about him, its because he was one of if not THE, greatest bassists of all time, and RTL/Puppets would have never been made if burton wasnt in the band. And if they HAD been made without him, they wouldve sucked ass.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

evad_lhorg wrote:
    Says he with Dave Grohl as his nick (albeit backwards)! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

mike65 wrote:
    Motley Crue, Metallica played at the SFX

Mike.

I was at that gig.I`m sure they played earlier than that though.I remember seeing them play the Top Hat in Dun Laoghaire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

byte wrote:
    Says he with Dave Grohl as his nick (albeit backwards)! :D

whats that got to do with anything?

Cliff Burton was and is no where near the BEST BASS PLAYER EVER!!!!!

bullsh1t.there are SOME ignorant Metal fans out there that just cant look past the genre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

He was an extremely proficient musician, who put a lot of expression and power into his playing. He was amazing, and Metallica have been very badly off without him. A huge number of us, most I would say, have far more diverse tastes than just metal, and I can say, for all he did, and the way he played and wrote, Cliff would certainly be one of my favourite bassists anyway. I'd *personally* rate him as one of the greatest. There may be more technically proficient out there, and there are many, but how many of them could bring what he did to a metal band? Metallica have been rather incomplete since his death, a fitting tribute in itself to him.

Also, I believe teh comment about having Dave Grohl as your nick was in relation to the fact that's he's a relatively untalented musician and composer. Against, say for example, Cliff Burton (;)), he loses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Cliff Burton R.I.P

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Had he not been killed that day, who knows what metallica and metal for that matter be like today. ****ing awesome i say....

R.I.P. cliff, keep jammin with the greats in heaven(If there ever was such a thing)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Eeehhh... If Cliff was the best part of Metallica, how come Justice is their best album? As one might respond to the guys themselves in Some Kind of Monster:
    Get Over It For ****s Sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

evad_lhorg wrote:
    whats that got to do with anything?

Cliff Burton was and is no where near the BEST BASS PLAYER EVER!!!!!

bullsh1t.there are SOME ignorant Metal fans out there that just cant look past the genre.

A closet Mr. Big fan perhaps!? ;)
    As someone who has extermely diverse tastes in music I pop my nose into this this forum every so often to see whats going on as Metal made me, so to speak!! (any ex-Grovers on here?!) so heres my 2 cents...Cliff Burton would have been incredibly talented, had he ended up in a jazz, metal, funk band or whatever. As mentioned elsewhere was just coming into his own songwritingwise when he died, the lord knows what impact he would have had on music in general had he lived and as his talents had the chance to develop... and remember he was so bloody young, his death was such a tragedy.

Advertisement