Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a civic, need a little advice.

Options
  • 25-09-2006 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭

I am looking to buy a civic coupe at the moment but not sure about a few things. Thinking about This one but went to see it at the weekend and the 18" alloys are way oversized. Do big alloys have a bad effect on a car? I presume it makes it a less smooth ride and burns more petrol. Will they break the first nasty pothole i go over?
    Would anyone buy them if i tried to sell them? Alloys are FLW 18" and tyres are nankang.

Also looking at southside automotives cars here but it seems strange to me that 5 coupes they have in stock all have 50k miles on them. Dodgy or something to do with jap imports and regulated milage?

Cheers for any replys.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Bicky wrote:
    I am looking to buy a civic coupe at the moment but not sure about a few things. Thinking about This one but went to see it at the weekend and the 18" alloys are way oversized. Do big alloys have a bad effect on a car? I presume it makes it a less smooth ride and burns more petrol. Will they break the first nasty pothole i go over?
    Would anyone buy them if i tried to sell them? Alloys are FLW 18" and tyres are nankang.

Also looking at southside automotives cars here but it seems strange to me that 5 coupes they have in stock all have 50k miles on them. Dodgy or something to do with jap imports and regulated milage?

Cheers for any replys.

Post up on www.manic-motorz.com and you will get all the advice you need on civics, plus there are a few civics for sale there aswell!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

18" :eek:

!!Danger will robinson!! Danger!!

Max size should be 17" which I have and hate them. I feel every bump in the road and it ain't too good on the shocks either.

Go down to 16" is my advice. Far more practical + less weight. It does make a difference in power. I'm actually suprised the seller was able to turn left or right with those monsters... then again looking through the pics the car is still bog standard suspention.

If your going to buy it sell those alloys and buy a nice new set.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Cheers layke. I knew the answer before i asked the question really. Still you think anyone would actually buy them?

BTW you never posted more pics of your civic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭sniper83

Bicky wrote:

Cheers for any replys.
    well bicky, used to own a honda coupe myself before i bought my vtec civic:D! when i bought the coupe there were 17s on it and within a week i had them off because i didnt like the handling and if i left them on id probally have no teeth left due to the bumpy ride!! id go with a nice set of 16s, by the way the 18s might be on it for a reason is the car lowered??

• Advertisement

sniper83 wrote:
    by the way the 18s might be on it for a reason is the car lowered??

The car has not been lowered. I took it for a test drive the other day and could feelt the drag while turning.

I love the civic coupes but they are overpriced. I was under the impression i could not get insurance on a car over 1.6 because i am with hibernian and have done the ignition test. I phoned today and i seems i can, so i am now looking at other cars. this accord has really caught my eye. good milage and the unique color really makes it for me.
    What would you guys think of it?

Bicky wrote:
    BTW you never posted more pics of your civic.

Heh well tbh mate. It got keyed on me and I lightly scraped it on a tight bend coming in to my place (corner of bumper). I'm a little embarresed about pics atm, well until I can get the bumper resprayed.

No body damage thankfully but I haven't got any recent pictures since i've changed the head lights and rear reflectors.

Also she's filthy now that my mudhole of a back garden has started to see the rainy season again.

Back on topic, your alloys may not be for a Honda at all. Some of the lads I know file down the holes so certain brands fit their car.
    On the other hand mebbe there are guys out there actually do supply 18" rims for older Civics. If they are clean you can try to sell them onto a 2006 model owner, the new version takes 18" from what i've read. Although your market could be a bit small.

Insurance, well tbh mate since I hit the 25 I find I can get a quote on pretty much anything. Try FBD, nice crowd and gave me a nice price. Then again i'm at that age where they actually want me as a customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 kev2

well lad i bought a 1.3 lancer a year ago and it had standard 13" wheels on it and it had great handling and was nippy enough but of course i had to go and stick 17's on it. Really really bad idea, cause your handling gets far worse for a start, then you've gotta think bout the extra petrol and a small loss in power, but the one that really pissed me off was forkin out nearly 500 euros for a good set of tyres.

I know the 17s fill the arches well but if u were to get a nice set of 16s and drop the car a little bit it would still look cool and be a bit easier on ur pocket. i done the ignition course too, its a great job brought my insurance down 1000 euros as soon as i got it. im buyin a mivec lancer on wednesday, theyre 1.6 on the book and are very quick, you should take a look at some there's a couple on carzone, but ur probably set on the honda by the way ur talkin. either way ur doin the right thing goin for the jap cars, they're top class, they were always a step ahead of everyone else, anyway i hope ya get wat ur lookin for lad

layke wrote:
    It got keyed on me
    Serious. What kind of mother****er keys a car? Scumbags.

I am not into modding cars myself but appreciate a nice one none the less. I see a lot of people driving around in tacky cars and i think your civic is subtle and very tidy. The eyebrows and headlights are spot on.
    layke wrote:
    I hit the 25 I find I can get a quote on pretty much anything.
    I am 24 at the moment. For some reason i thought i remembered 25 being the magic number they mentioned while i was doing the ignition test. It would mean an extra 500 on my policy for the 1.8 accord but i am happy to break the 1.6 barrier.
    I have been with hibernian for three years now and i would recommend them to anyone.
    kev2 wrote:
    but ur probably set on the honda by the way ur talkin
    I am set on a honda actually but i do think the lancer are a lovely looking machine. Since my first car i have always liked hondas. The lexus is200 gets my vote too if i had enough cash.

Back on topic i have decided against that civic. The rims would be tooo much hassle.
    Really like the look of this accord now.
    484394_20060809090807_3.jpg
    I dont want to sound stupid, but when it comes to cars but i am, so would appreciate any advice.
    This accord seems to be cheaper than most others of similar age even though it has low mileage and personally i think it is looks much nicer.
    I am guessing that the bumper, skirts, spoiler and colour were changed on this car from the original se?
    Is it the mods that give it a lower resale value and should i be wary of this?
    Advice or personal opinions on the accord appreciated.
    Cheers
    JP

To Quote eireal.

Hondas are supposed to be revved.

It's true, the power band on them is in the high revs, they are designed to take that kind of driving. I mean look at the amount of 92+ civics still on the road today.

I am actually thinking accord for my next car too. 2L V-tec ta or perhaps a 99 2.2L Prelude... dilema dilema.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭hardwoodhero

The colour of that accord is an original honda colour, my civic is in the same colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Bought my 95 civic coupe completly standard for 600quid or ~1000 euro :)

€7,000 seems completly excessive for a '97.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭sniper83

lovely looking car be sure to lower the car if you buy,, it looks a bit high on those 17s in my opinion;) .. bought my 95 coupe for €3000 a year ago with a few extras was gutted when a woman rearranged the back of it with her primera:mad: unfortunately the coupe was a right off!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Donna O K

Bicky wrote:

Cheers for any replys.
    Dont buy a car that has 18" alloys, i have a subaru impreza with 18" alloys and it broke my heart. completely screwed the clutch and every time i went over a speed bump i was getting a flat tyre. roads here arent made for driving with big alloys, i changed to a set of 17" with bigger tyres and i havent had a problem since.

Onto Southside Autos, dont go near them, i bought a Subaru Impreza 2lt Turbo Coupe from them 3 weeks ago. it was brought in from Japan for me, the sales man told me the car would be perfect when i came to collect. last sat the clutch went (not due to screwing the car). brought it to my mechanic and he told me the breaks and timing belt also needed to be replaced. i paid 15,000 euros for a car that has been parked up for the last week and a half.I think the mileage is dodgy too so the minute its repaired im getting rid of it, i would advise everyone though to get a 2lt turboat least once in there life because they are an absolute rocket. theres over 340bhp in my one, SICK!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭hardwoodhero

Every single civic coupe in southside automotive has 50k coincidence i think not :mad:

i dont trust them at all up there, wouldn't advise anyone to buy from them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Onto Southside Autos, dont go near them, i bought a Subaru Impreza 2lt Turbo Coupe from them 3 weeks ago. it was brought in from Japan for me, the sales man told me the car would be perfect when i came to collect. last sat the clutch went (not due to screwing the car). brought it to my mechanic and he told me the breaks and timing belt also needed to be replaced. i paid 15,000 euros for a car that has been parked up for the last week and a half.I think the mileage is dodgy too so the minute its repaired im getting rid of it, i would advise everyone though to get a 2lt turboat least once in there life because they are an absolute rocket. theres over 340bhp in my one, SICK!!!
    A clutch can be on the way out from any car you buy! Why didnt you test drive it before you bought it to make sure it was running well? If they just took it in from japan specially for you is that not even more reason for you to check it out? The mileage is dodgy on most jap imports thats why its common sense to check the car out fully before buying and bring a mechanic if your clueless. The clutch/brakes/Tbelt are just standard bits that need to be serviced on any car, nothinh serious. What mileage is on it? Your going to put in a new clutch/brakes/timing belt just to sell it to someone else??? Would you not just keep it? How much are you going to lose on this car?

Is this the 1st subaru you have owned? Sure theres not another reason why you want rid. ie:Cant afford to run it?

Women :rolleyes:

this is the 3rd Subaru i've owned actually, and dont think that im totally clueless about cars, i test drove it and the only think i noticed wrong with it was the breaks were a bid dodgy, the rest of the car was fine. and for your info i bought the car with cash so i can damn well afford it. Thats the perks of having a good job. my insurance is 900 a year and it costs me about 100 euro a week on petrol so it is fairly cheap to run. I really dont wanna get rid of it cos it was is my dream car but i thought that all those things shouldn't have gone. so you think that i should keep it? the only reason i was gonna get rid of it again was because i thought that all those things were major things to go wrong in a car, thanks for the advise.

Men

People people!! Cant we all just... get along?
    Derogatory assumptions and comments based on someones username makes you look like a fool Nuttzy.
    Unlucky about the car donna but thats the way the cookie crumbles. You are not the first person to recommend i stay away from th at garage so i think i will.

Thank you for the back up Bicky, hope you find the car your looking for..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

I sold a sr coupe years ago, i had it on here but noone wanted it. let it got for 6,500e i think. very nippy , for a sohc vtec.

i would rather a bmw 318 coupe now, with leather....maybe im just getting old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I sold this just over two years ago for €5750. €7k for an LS is crazy money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 klck2000

Donna O K wrote:
    i dont trust them at all up there, wouldn't advise anyone to buy from them..

Hi,

Im in a similiar situation with Southside Autos,just wondering did they not replace the timing belt and clutch for yiou under the warrenty??

also how did u know the milage looked dodgy, cause i am thinking the same about my car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Holy thread resurection batman :D

(your proberbly better off PM`n the guys)

Advertisement