Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

driving test with no car

Options
  • 25-09-2006 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭

hi,

is it possible to rent a car for the driving test?
    i just got my date today and i dont have a car.

id like to do my test without having to buy one right away.
    im 24 and have a full license for a bike.
    i could also get a loan of a car but would i have to get insured for the year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Yes you can.....the driving schools insurance should cover you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah a driving school is probably the way to go. Normal rental companies won't touch a provisional licence holder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Normal rentals are not possible.

Driving instructors will rent cars for test purposes. I did it for my test. It's not exactly cheap because they will have to pay a fee to their insurer for having an unlicenced driver in the car without them. They may also be reluctant to rent a car to someone who they don't know or has not done any lessons with them.

Insurance companies do allow people to be added to policies on a short term basis but it may be expensive for someone with a provisional.

I'd suggest making enquiries about both options and picking the cheaper. Either way I'd suggest familiarising yourself with the car properly beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

thansk for the info.
    ill be organisng a few lessons so ill try to get one through the instructor.

shouldnt be more than a few hundred euro for lessons and rental, i hope...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

lessons are about 40 an hour i think, and the rental of the car could be close to 100 euro.
    I used a ISM car for my test years ago and they charged me 60 i cant remember if it was punts or euro, but i think it was punts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I think it was about €60 for me to hire a driving instructor car on the day. You'll have to do lessons with the instructor and the instructor will have to be satisfied that you're driving at "test standards" before he'll give you the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭lau1247

cost me 80 when i did it..

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭ffocused

if you can get a loan af a car, you will have to be put down as a named driver on the policy until the next renewal. it might be cheaper then getting a driving school car and lessons. if you can borrow a car with its insurance renewal shortly after your test it should not cost much at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

If you borrow a car, make sure it's up to scratch - at least if you hire one from an instructor, it should be right for the test. Also if you hire from an instructor, make sure they shoe you where all of the levels are read/refilled (different positions on different cars).

If you're getting lessons from someone, they shouldn't have a problem renting you the car. Where are you based - someone on here will probably be able to recommend someone local to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

well, i was paying 30 euro a lesson (1 hour/student price) and my instructor just gave me a lesson before the test, left me with his car, then met me after, just charging for the time the car was used for, no extras.

but - most importantly, remember what your instructor's car looks like!!! i nearly forgot; thank god my instructor was just acting like a passer-by beside the car when i went out to it with the tester ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Irish Salfordia

You cannot use a hire car for the test.

I agree either do some lessons and use the driving school car or get on someone's insurance.

Driving scholls probably €35 - €40 per hour, some do charge extra for test.

Good luck

Advertisement