Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Have a question

Options
  • 25-09-2006 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭

If we ask your opinion of our website will we be seen as spamming?

This website was setup by a small private business and not the government and we would like the opinion of internet users on what we have done.

We can see that Boards.ie is a popular website so this is why I have come here.

Thanks
    Drive Safely, Have Fun..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

For a technical review you can post to the Webmaster/Flash forum. Be prepared for frank and detailed comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

The first thing you'll need to do is amend it so that people will sight problems can make the default font bigger in the browser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Hmmm, looks uncannily like the Car Buyers Guide website, seems to be using the same template... Don't suppose that's who is running this site???

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Chonker

We can see that Boards.ie is a popular website so this is why I ask in here.

That and the free advertising of course..:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It we ask your opinion of our website will we be seen as spamming?

This website was setup by a small privet business and not the government and we would like the opinion of internet users on what we have done.

We can see that Boards.ie is a popular website so this is why I ask in here.

Thanks
    Drive Safe, Have Fun..
    http://drivinginfo.ie/advertise.php
    For as little (€1200 + VAT @ 21% per year) you can be part of DrivingInfo.ie Car Dealer network IRISH NATIONAL DRIVING & MOTORING WEBSITE

For that sort of money you could have done it better,
    and if you are getting that sort of money you can afford the advertising here,
    the vocab and text and your spelling convey to me the impression that english is not the first langague of those who set up the site.

the font in the word Motoring just looks wrong to me like - moto ring

/wanders off to do lookup

Did you get these guys to do the web site design ? :)
    The Red Door :
    6 Eyre st, Newbridge.-(045) 433331. inte:+353. This is a Children's Art Club{Art & Craft for Primary age}

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

http://drivinginfo.ie/advertise.php

For that sort of money you could have done it better,
    and if you are getting that sort of money you can afford the advertising here,
    the vocab and text and your spelling convey to me the impression that english is not the first langague of those who set up the site.

the font in the word Motoring just looks wrong to me like - moto ring

/wanders off to do lookup

Did you get these guys to do the web site design ? :)
    The Red Door :
    6 Eyre st, Newbridge.-(045) 433331. inte:+353. This is a Children's Art Club{Art & Craft for Primary age}

Ok sorry about the English, I am also sorry if you think we are advertising that was not the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Large portions of the site are simply copy and paste jobs on information from oasis.gov.ie. Wonder how they feel about that?

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/about/copyright.html

I am also sorry if you think we are advertising that was not the idea.

But a great byproduct of your thread. You really should pay boards a small fee for however many extra hits you got today.

Do you know how much the Nissan Landcruser you have advertised is, it sounds unique must be worth a few bob.

My opinion of you operation can be put in two words
    Mickey & Mouse.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

moved to webmaster forum!

Chonker wrote:
    But a great byproduct of your thread. You really should pay boards a small fee for however many extra hits you got today.

Do you know how much the Nissan Landcruser you have advertised is, it sounds unique must be worth a few bob.

My opinion of you operation can be put in two words
    Mickey & Mouse.

The vehicle ads in our database are listed by the dealers. If this is the LANDCRUISER your talking about you can see the price.

I think this is a tad unfair. Yes we are a small business supplying a free service where users visit one website rather than many websites. But we are not Mickey Mouse.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote:
    Large portions of the site are simply copy and paste jobs on information from oasis.gov.ie. Wonder how they feel about that?

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/about/copyright.html

We source information from various websites and departments; we DO-NOT change the information as it is very important and helpful. All of our sources are happy to help us with the information as we give even more access to this information.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

On the Toll Roads page, why are you using the oasis.gov.ie redirect script to link to the easypass.ie website - it's in the sentence You can view Eazy Pass rates for toll roads in Ireland here..

daymobrew wrote:
    On the Toll Roads page, why are you using the oasis.gov.ie redirect script to link to the easypass.ie website - it's in the sentence You can view Eazy Pass rates for toll roads in Ireland here..

Ok i can fix that...
    But its not about us taking the credit for the information its about us finding the information for the user.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

But its not about us taking the credit for the information its about us finding the information for the user.
    No, it’s about the user going to your site and paying you money because, in part, you guys are the alleged experts in a particular field, based upon information that you plagiarised (without attribution or permission) from someone else.

Are your sources happy with your cutting and pasting their content without so much as a credit? Do they even know or are you simply assuming they are?

Darragh29 wrote:
    Hmmm, looks uncannily like the Car Buyers Guide website, seems to be using the same template... Don't suppose that's who is running this site???

No
    Ex Driving Instructor, Trying to help people where it will not cost them anything.
    Motoring Businesses in Ireland pay us to advertise them, which pays us to keep this site running.
    You don’t pay via taxes or in any way.

No, it’s about the user going to your site and paying you money because, in part, you guys are the alleged experts in a particular field, based upon information that you plagiarised (without attribution or permission) from someone else.

Are your sources happy with your cutting and pasting their content without so much as a credit? Do they even know or are you simply assuming they are?

I’m sorry to say I did not realise our acknowledgments were missing off the site. I put my hand up and say thank you as it has been replaced, (bottom of every page)

Have you received explicit permission to reproduce their material?

Have you received explicit permission to reproduce their material?

Yes.
    And to add: as we source government information, have you not heard of the freedom of information act. I set up the IRISH NATIONAL DRIVING & MOTORING WEBSITE as an information portal for people who don't know, who are afraid, are embarrassed and inexperienced.

We DO-NOT and WILL NOT at any stage charge for this service. Our revenue comes strictly from advertising Driving & Motoring related Business and as you can see our car sales section is new and the business Directory is built up of 98% free listings.

I'm an ex driving instructor. I hold years experience in teaching people how to drive bikes, cars and trucks, The site is backed by a ex fireman who spent 30years cutting people out of car accidents. We have a genuine interest in road safety and driver education, Yes we do source information from various places and YES we do have permission to reproduce their material.

Brian
    DrivingInfo.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

typo ->
    Would like to express thanks to the

Department of Transport, [B][COLOR="Red"]Grada.ie[/COLOR][/B], Oasis.ie, Road Safety Authority, MotorTax.ie,

National Roads Authority, National Safety Council, dir.ie and PenaltyPoints.ie

For information in the driving information section of our website.

If you are actually serious about this, maybe check all of the pages before you distribute the link out. Its little things like that that will sway people.

dbfarrell wrote:
    typo ->
    Would like to express thanks to the

Department of Transport, [B][COLOR="Red"]Grada.ie[/COLOR][/B], Oasis.ie, Road Safety Authority, MotorTax.ie,

National Roads Authority, National Safety Council, dir.ie and PenaltyPoints.ie

For information in the driving information section of our website.

If you are actually serious about this, maybe check all of the pages before you distribute the link out. Its little things like that that will sway people.

Sorted…………. thanks

• Advertisement

Yes.
    That’s good - so if I phoned them they’d naturally be able to confirm this if I asked them?
    And to add: as we source government information, have you not heard of the freedom of information act. I set up the IRISH NATIONAL DRIVING & MOTORING WEBSITE as an information portal for people who don't know, who are afraid, are embarrassed and inexperienced.
    Not only do I know what the freedom of information is, I also know what it means and it does not mean that you can lift content from government sites for commercial (or indeed non-commercial) use without prior permission.
    We DO-NOT and WILL NOT at any stage charge for this service. Our revenue comes strictly from advertising Driving & Motoring related Business and as you can see our car sales section is new and the business Directory is built up of 98% free listings.
    So what? It’s still a commercial venture as long as it’s attempting to make money.
    I'm an ex driving instructor. I hold years experience in teaching people how to drive bikes, cars and trucks, The site is backed by a ex fireman who spent 30years cutting people out of car accidents. We have a genuine interest in road safety and driver education
    I never said you didn’t. Indeed, I’m not questioning anything on the topic of road safety - that’s not my field.
    Yes we do source information from various places and YES we do have permission to reproduce their material.
    Again, I’m glad to hear that and no doubt they will confirm this if asked.

That’s good - so if I phoned them they’d naturally be able to confirm this if I asked them?

Not only do I know what the freedom of information is, I also know what it means and it does not mean that you can lift content from government sites for commercial (or indeed non-commercial) use without prior permission.

So what? It’s still a commercial venture as long as it’s attempting to make money.

I never said you didn’t. Indeed, I’m not questioning anything on the topic of road safety - that’s not my field.

Again, I’m glad to hear that and no doubt they will confirm this if asked.

Yes you can ask

But I do have to ask, what is your problem with the fact that we have created a 1 stop shop type of website which not only helps people find government information but also gives them the facility to find other things like cars, machanics, driving instructors, without having to go somewhere else.

The reason I ask is I have seen snit bits of government information on boards.ie. I don’t see a problem with that because the more people that read the information the better. I have seen people give information which is not 100% correct, But they are trying to help So I don’t have a problem with that.

You seem to have a problem with me and what I have done. So tell me! What is that problem?

And I ask with respect.

Yes you can ask
    Good. You should also print on your acknowledgements page that the information has been reproduced with the permission of the above sites, so as to avoid future confusion.
    But I do have to ask, what is your problem with the fact that we have created a 1 stop shop type of website which not only helps people find government information but also gives them the facility to find other things like cars, machanics, driving instructors, without having to go somewhere else.
    I’ve no problem with that. I do have a problem with commercial sites lifting other people’s work without permission as a means of driving traffic to their site. This is something that happens a lot on the Web, where a culture of ‘everything is free’ has meant that copyright is not an obstacle for the sourcing of most content.

Of course, this is not to say that this is what you’re doing, but it happens so often enough that I can assume it unless proven otherwise.
    The reason I ask is I have seen snit bits of government information on boards.ie.
    People here cite particular sections or paragraphs so as to back up their arguments or simply supply links to government sites; they don’t reproduce entire tracts verbatim as you have.
    I don’t see a problem with that because the more people that read the information the better.
    What you see a problem with is irrelevant in the eyes of the law.
    You seem to have a problem with me and what I have done. So tell me! What is that problem?
    Only if you are in breach of copyright, otherwise no problem at all.

I do understand where you’re coming from and I hope that you can see I run an honest reputable source of information.

Regards
    Brian

It we ask your opinion of our website will we be seen as spamming?..

Maybe people wouldnt have given you such a hard time had you done some research and asked this before you put up your link.
    This website was setup by a small privet business and not the government and we would like the opinion of internet users on what we have done We can see that Boards.ie is a popular website so this is why I ask in here..

Why not be honest, a blind person could see your reasons for posting this question about your new site in the Motors section.

If I placed a notice inside dunnes stores directing people to my shop I'm pretty sure I would be seen as unprofessional.

I say it again why not pay boards.ie a small fee for the extra hits your site has generated since your post. I'm pretty sure you wont be long about telling your advertisers how many you got.

If you want to run a business, then do your own hard work stop looking for a free ride, thats why I called DrivingInfo a micky mouse operation.

Your intentions by the way are to make money, stop fooling yourself that your in it to save lives.

Chonker wrote:
    Maybe people wouldnt have given you such a hard time had you done some research and asked this before you put up your link.

Why not be honest, a blind person could see your reasons for posting this question about your new site in the Motors section.

If I placed a notice inside dunnes stores directing people to my shop I'm pretty sure I would be seen as unprofessional.

I say it again why not pay boards.ie a small fee for the extra hits your site has generated since your post. I'm pretty sure you wont be long about telling your advertisers how many you got.

If you want to run a business, then do your own hard work stop looking for a free ride, thats why I called DrivingInfo a micky mouse operation.

Your intentions by the way are to make money, stop fooling yourself that your in it to save lives.

Yes the post in the motoring section was wrong, but I was advised where to put it so I moved it a appropriately. I came here looking for the opinion of internet users on the site because we designed the site to be as user friendly as possible. Not the personal attack that I received.

How dare you say I am not interested in saving lives on Irish roads. I have forgotten more about driving than you will ever know.:mad: :mad:

Yes the post in the motoring section was wrong, but I was advised where to put it so I moved it a appropriately. I came here looking for the opinion of internet users on the site because we designed the site to be as user friendly as possible. Not the personal attack that I received.

How dare you say I am not interested in saving lives on Irish roads. I have forgotten more about driving than you will ever know.:mad: :mad:

Lets not get personal.. You dont know me, How did you reach your conclusion that you know more about driving than I do? Is it because you were a driving instructor? A monkey with a valid driving licence can be an instructor. Before you take that as an insult, Which its not I'm defending my knowledge of driving V's your assumption that you should know more than I based on your previous Job.

Any and everybody who sets up a business does so to make money, I'm sorry if I'm wrong about that in your case, but I doubt your really in it to save lives.

Show me where I said you were not interested in saving lives I simply said you did not set up your business to save lives. Primary reason I'm guessing was to be successfull and earn money. Secondary...... Maybe to help save lives.

Attack the post not the poster, you can use that rule on your site too. If you remember you asked for opinions on your site, Thats what I have given.

Honestly Dave good luck with the site I hope it works out for you.

I like a good debate, just not into rows.

Loving my new signature!!! Thanks Dude.

Chonker wrote:
    Lets not get personal.. You dont know me, How did you reach your conclusion that you know more about driving than I do? Is it because you were a driving instructor? A monkey with a valid driving licence can be an instructor. Before you take that as an insult, Which its not I'm defending my knowledge of driving V's your assumption that you should know more than I based on your previous Job.

Any and everybody who sets up a business does so to make money, I'm sorry if I'm wrong about that in your case, but I doubt your really in it to save lives.

Show me where I said you were not interested in saving lives I simply said you did not set up your business to save lives. Primary reason I'm guessing was to be successfull and earn money. Secondary...... Maybe to help save lives.

Attack the post not the poster, you can use that rule on your site too. If you remember you asked for opinions on your site, Thats what I have given.

As a driving instructor I found people asked questions you would not believe,
    Eg. How do I tax my car? What is this NCT?
    And some questions you would believe like. What will my tester ask me? Where can I find out about Penalty Points?

I initial wanted to have the information as a section of a driving school website but it tuck so much work and time to run the site I had no time to teach. So I introduced the business directory and car sales as way of making money so that I won’t starve and to keep the site running. Yes if I make money beyond the advertising and running costs of the site I would be very happy.

I hope you can understand why I got so defensive when I thought you said I had no interest in saving lives, Driver education is the backbone of the site and the reason I put it together.

Brian

• Advertisement

I do understand where you’re coming from and I hope that you can see I run an honest reputable source of information.
    Fair enough. Good luck with the site.

Advertisement