Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Have a question

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Chonker

I hope you can understand why I got so defensive when I thought you said I had no interest in saving lives, Driver education is the backbone of the site and the reason I put it together.

Brian

Yes I can, Good luck with the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

All of our sources are happy to help us with the information as we give even more access to this information.

Good to hear, even if I find it hard to believe.

You need to pay somebody to do some design for you. The site lacks any sort of structure, and is just a big pile of copied & pasted material from a variety of sources. You need to do a lot of work to secure return visitors, which will have a huge impact on your advertisers/advertising rates.

Simple common-sense things like 4 search boxes on the front page. A gazillion links to unsorted information, instead of a more structured approach. A site that looks very amateur / thrown together without thought or process.

You seem to be competing with a variety of sites, so you'll need to do one better than each of them. Your car search is inferior to most sites (e.g. CBG.ie), so work on that.

Create more of a user-focussed site (rather than tech-focussed) and integrate community features (like feedback on dealers / car reviews, etc.).

Then there's the technical things, like slow page load speeds, PHP errors, code validation, unecessary whitespace/comments in HTML, etc.

Nice idea, but I can't see it working in the haphazard fashion it is presented as right now.

Sorry, if that's harsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

cgarvey wrote:
    Good to hear, even if I find it hard to believe.

You need to pay somebody to do some design for you. The site lacks any sort of structure, and is just a big pile of copied & pasted material from a variety of sources. You need to do a lot of work to secure return visitors, which will have a huge impact on your advertisers/advertising rates.

Simple common-sense things like 4 search boxes on the front page. A gazillion links to unsorted information, instead of a more structured approach. A site that looks very amateur / thrown together without thought or process.

You seem to be competing with a variety of sites, so you'll need to do one better than each of them. Your car search is inferior to most sites (e.g. CBG.ie), so work on that.

Create more of a user-focussed site (rather than tech-focussed) and integrate community features (like feedback on dealers / car reviews, etc.).

Then there's the technical things, like slow page load speeds, PHP errors, code validation, unecessary whitespace/comments in HTML, etc.

Nice idea, but I can't see it working in the haphazard fashion it is presented as right now.

Sorry, if that's harsh.

No problem this is what I want, the views of tech people and internet users. I run the site but I did not build it.

Thank you

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Chonker wrote:
    A monkey with a valid driving licence can be an instructor.
    Point of information, as Victor pointed out before, if the monkey only gives lessons to those on their second provisional then the monkey doesn't even need a license.

How much of the non-advertising content is unique to your site ?
    It seems to be a collection of cut/paste and links. If you want to add value ( in both the financial sense and the usefulness sense ) you would have to do more than parrot the information that is available on numerous other sites. There are many sites that just regurgitate info pulled from wikipedia, without having any intrinsic worth themselves. The more editorial / comments / explaining the better. Look at http://www.theregister.co.uk as an example, just about everything on the site is pulled from somewhere else BUT they take the trouble to put it in context and link to similar items.

RE driver training - if our death rate was the same as the UK about 560 of the people who died on our roads since penalty points were introduced would still be alive today. To get people to learn to drive safely you need to adopt a carrot and stick approach.

The benefits of a full license are being allowed to drive on your own / on Motorways / slightly cheaper insurance. Not really much of a carrot since large numbers of L drivers use motorways, and tens of thousands have been on provisionals for over a decade. You have a higher chance of being killed on the road than being banned from driving for breaching the conditions of your license (if we ignore those being banned for other offenses at the same time).

/RANT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

I have to say Midnight that was a good rant.

Very little of the information on driving is unique to our site as we source government information from as many sources as we can find (All with Permission).

The idea of DrivingInfo is the user dose not go to numerous websites as we will source the information for them if we do not have it already.

You can not rewrite the information we source as that defeats the purpose of what we do. We help people find information

I’ll give you an example. If you were going to Australia how would you find out about driving in Australia? Well we don’t hold this information because it is not about driving in Ireland, but you would start by contacting the Australian Embassy in Ireland as Australia is made up of different regions and the law is different in different regions.
    That information came from the Australian Embassy not from DrivingInfo, we helped you find it.

It is good to have a Rant?:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement