Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart wireless

Options
  • 25-09-2006 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭

I had a thread here regarding slow bb speed, so rang smart and they told me to hook up pc beside phone line and use short phone cable and do speed test again sure enough speed this time was 2.8 and not the 40.8 I had before.they say the long phone cable from main phone point top pc is the problem. I said it worked great for a month and only the last 10 days it wa really slow, they said using long cables can be intermittent so better of with their wireless. First Q is there a better cable to use whuch would be better than the standard phone cable or am I better just getting the wireless modem. Also they said they will only give support to their own wireless modem, so just wondering is that the way to go

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

oulu wrote:
    I had a thread here regarding slow bb speed, so rang smart and they told me to hook up pc beside phone line and use short phone cable and do speed test again sure enough speed this time was 2.8 and not the 40.8 I had before.they say the long phone cable from main phone point top pc is the problem. I said it worked great for a month and only the last 10 days it wa really slow, they said using long cables can be intermittent so better of with their wireless. First Q is there a better cable to use whuch would be better than the standard phone cable or am I better just getting the wireless modem. Also they said they will only give support to their own wireless modem, so just wondering is that the way to go

The ideal connection point is the first phone socket into the house (thats what all the textbooks say anyways) It is strange that the cable connection should disimprove so suddenly but in fairness to Smart if they are getting the signal to you the rest is up to you to solve!

The Smart wireless modem is not especially good value and you can get all the support you need for any modem you might decide to putchase on here anyways! From reading the Smart support group a lot of people seem to find that the Netgear models word well with Smart - you can buy the all in one
    Netgear DG 834g for example and sometimes you will find this bundled with a wireless card or a usb as an offer.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-Wireless-Firewall-Router-4-port/dp/B0000TZ8Z8/ref=sr_11_1/026-4738752-8985245?ie=UTF8

Or you would just buy a wireless router like the linksys wrt54g which people swear by and use it with the Aolynk in bridged mode. However the version five of the wrt54g is reputedly problematic so avoid that if you can.

http://www.netgear.co.uk/extra/h_wirelessrouter_dg834g.php

Lots of user reviews here:

www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk

Advertisement