Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second time buyer new house primary residence

Options
  • 25-09-2006 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Am I rigt in thinking if I purchase a New Build house I dont have to pay stamp duty. It will be my primary residence as I will sell my own place.
    Is this correct

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

depends on the size. if it's smaller than 125m sq, then it's exempt. if it's bigger, then you pay full rate on the greater of either the site value or the full price depending on whether the house is newly built and there, or 'about to be built'...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Ok
    So if i buy a house for 390K 1100SQ Feet and sell my own I wont pay any stamp duty.

So if i buy a second hand one for the same I pay 6% is this correct

ker-azzy as it may seem, i think you're right; the idea is to encourage people into new houses, built in observance of building regulations and the like...

page 8 of this http://www.revenue.ie/leaflets/sd10a.pdf should tell you all you want to know. You fall into the Owner/Occupier bracket. Contrast difference between 2nd hand house (full rate) and the others...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,393 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ker-azzy as it may seem, i think you're right; the idea is to encourage people into new houses, built in observance of building regulations and the like...
    No, its simpler than that. There is VAT on new buildings.

Victor wrote:
    No, its simpler than that. There is VAT on new buildings.
    and that. obv. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

can u confirm this is the case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Conar

Check out the government website:
    http://www.oasis.gov.ie/housing/buying_a_house_or_flat/stamp_duty.html?search=stamp+duty

"Owner-occupiers of new houses/apartments are exempt from stamp duty, provided that the area of the house or apartment does not exceed 125 sq. metres (1,346 sq. feet) and a Floor Area Compliance Certificate has been issued. The house or apartment must not have been occupied prior to its purchase. It must be occupied as the owner's main place of residence for a period of five years from the date of the purchase deed. However if you sell the house during this period you do not have to repay stamp duty."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

also remember that the SD is calculated on the pre-VAT price, if you have to pay any at all

Advertisement