Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Silva Has Right Leg Amputated

• 25-09-2006 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭

Former Uruguay striker Dario Silva has had his right leg amputated following a serious car crash, according to El Pais newspaper.

The 33-year-old ex-Malaga man, who played for Portsmouth last season, was driving his car in Montevideo on Sunday but lost control and hit a column of street lights. He was placed in a medically-induced coma.

Doctor Mario Canela, of La Espanola hospital, explained the surgery was "to amputate the leg from the knee down".

He added: "Silva's situation is absolutely not solved with the amputation. We are worried about a possible infection."

Silva played 49 matches for Uruguay, scoring 15 goals, including the 2002 World Cup finals in the Far East.

He was without a club, having left Pompey in February.

Terrible story, let hope he makes a good receovery!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Read this earlier, terrible. Hopefully he's alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Yeah did decent for most clubs but never had a chance at Pompey, once he signed the manager left(Perrin wasnt it) and Kednapp didnt rate any of the player brought in after he left so it was on the cards he would be moved on!! there was a couple of other players with him in the car and seemed they walked away!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Nightmare for anyone, nevermind someone who uses their legs for a living.
    At least he had a full career behind him,not that it will be any conciliation to him, hope he can bounce back from this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

He's lucky he's alive , thats the main thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

I heard this yesterday morning on 5live and was stunned, hell of a pity and I hope he makes a good recovery from this but don't know how he'll react considering what he does for a living. I remember seeing this guy with Celta Vigo a few years back and was quality, never really settled at Pompey so I wish him well for the future.

"Good Luck Dario"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

He has said a few things, seemingly he has woken from his coma.
    "After the surgery, I felt really bad but then I had no choice but to accept it," he said. "I really didn't expect this situation to happen to me but that's what it is. It's a game I've lost and I have to try to recover and hope to overcome it. I was at the end of my career - my reaction would have been different had I been a 20-year-old and had to sign a contract. I'm fine and I'm happy. I will be grateful for the rest of my life, it means I have left an important mark in the hearts of many people."

A message of support from Maradona was particularly well received. "Maradona was the one which caused the biggest impact," added Silva. "He spoke to my family because I was unconscious at the time."

Silva's discharge could come before the end of the month. "In 20 days' time, I will travel to Italy to get my leg prosthesis," he said. "I have some work proposals but what I really want is to recover as soon as possible and run behind a ball with my children."
    Fair play to him, he doesn't sound bitter.

Get on with it is all he can do I suppose.

The poor bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I thought the pompy website was particulary caring with the official club statment on the matter when news filtered through:

"Portsmouth would like to wish Dario Silva a full recovery." nice lads, very nice.

Advertisement