Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem Landlord

Options
  • 25-09-2006 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

Ok I am not asking for advice because I know I am ****ed anyway I just want to share a story of how ****ing cruel people can be!!

Sorry its so long but I can't make it any shorter.

I moved into a lovely new duplex exactly three weeks ago today, everything was going great. I had all the bills changed into my name and had done everything I could to make sure that things were going smoothly. Then disaster struck I woke up with bites on my arm 10 days after I moved in.

Anyway after about a week of being bitten alive and spending a fortune at the doctors I found out they were from bed bugs which had probably being brought back from a Budapest hostel by the guy who was in my room before I moved in. The Pest Control expert confirmed that there was no evidence of it having anything to do with me.

Anyway I got the Pest Control in and he treated the room and all the while I was keeping the landlord informed about what was going on. She was making noises about how this had nothing to do with her and she wasn't going to pay but we came to agreement that she would pay for the pest control and I would get a new bed.

This morning I got a text from her saying that she had bought the new bed but wouldn't refund me for treating the room which was over 250 euro not to mention the 150 I have spent on doctors and medication.

So I rang her this morning and said that this was unfair but she said well you can move out then bla bla so I backed down and said ok. I then stupidly sent her an email about the PRTB just to make sure that she knew about it. I also mentioned that she had never given me the lease and could she tell me where it is which was another stupid mistake but I never thought she would do this.

So she rang me at lunch time to say she had decided she wanted the room I was in and that I was to leave in 28 days time. So I have decided to not waste anymore money and get my full deposit back and move out over the weekend. I moved in with a friend so this has left her in an awful position as she really doesn't want to live with this woman as your woman will be there a couple of nights a week for work.

She is still refusing to refund me for the pest control so I have lost that money too and have basically paid for something she should have herself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,393 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Talk to the PRTB anyway. If the above is true, I'm quite sure they will agree it wasn't fit for habitation.
    Lux23 wrote:
    So I have decided to not waste anymore money and get my full deposit back and move out over the weekend. I moved in with a friend so this has left her in an awful position as she really doesn't want to live with this woman as your woman will be there a couple of nights a week for work.
    I don't quite get this bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Afuera

You should not have to pay for anything here at all. If she's letting a room in such bad condition then clearly she is not a fit landlord. Take this to the PRTB and make sure you retain all receipts for things that you had to pay due to her negligence (i.e. doctors bills, medication, pest control).

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Pines

Victor wrote:
    I don't quite get this bit.

Ah you seem to be confused between "this woman", "your woman", "she" and "her". Watch and learn:

OP had moved into the landlady's (LL) property with a female friend (FF).

OP is now moving out of the property. This leaves FF in an awkward position, because LL spends a few nights a week in the property; naturally FF doesn't want to have to spend any more time than necessary with LL, but LL's continued presence in the property makes this unavoidable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

My advice: hold out in the house for a week or two, while you both look for a new place. The sooner you get out of this situation the better. This isn't going to work out well, for either the OP, the FF or for the LL.

This is a licence, not a lease, so I don't know if the PRTB is going to be much help to you. Worth a try though.

I hope you are feeling better. Be sure to ask your doctor whether any further complications are likely.

Advertisement