Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Educational licensing

• 25-09-2006 3:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to help out my uncle who is a principal of a primary school. They have some pc's running there already, but need to upgrade the numbers and the machines they have to meet standards.

I'm just wondering if there is any specific microsoft licensing pack for educational institutions like the action pack that development companys can use. They're looking at getting maybe another 10 pc's setup, so its not a huge order.

Also, I know there are free anti-virus programs out there that can do the job, but are there are any of the main anti-virus programs out there that do a good deal on educational licensing as well?. I've looked at nod32, and they do a pretty good deal at €20 per user per year, but if there were better deals than that it would help keep costs down.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I think AVG free's licence might extend to educational institutions, but i'm not totally sure, it'd save yo a bit of cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Stky10 wrote:
    I'm trying to help out my uncle who is a principal of a primary school. They have some pc's running there already, but need to upgrade the numbers and the machines they have to meet standards.

I'm just wondering if there is any specific microsoft licensing pack for educational institutions like the action pack that development companys can use. They're looking at getting maybe another 10 pc's setup, so its not a huge order.

Also, I know there are free anti-virus programs out there that can do the job, but are there are any of the main anti-virus programs out there that do a good deal on educational licensing as well?. I've looked at nod32, and they do a pretty good deal at €20 per user per year, but if there were better deals than that it would help keep costs down.

Microsoft do a volume licence for schools. Off the top of my head it's €5 per machine per year for Windows XP and the same again for Office 2003. This also entitles the school (and all staff) to upgrades as long as they're paying the annual fee.

There's also a deal on Norton Anti-virus for, I think, €4 per machine per annum. (But would anyone want to use it!)

The ICT Advisor in his local education centre would have the exact details of all the discounts available. List here:

http://www.ncte.ie/AbouttheNCTE/RelatedOrganisations/EducationCentres/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

IIRC If they have OLD computers PII's that originally had any windows license they can run newer versions windows on them for free , you could probably get away with PIII's and windows 2000 for machines that spec.

I had thought the fee was more like 20 euro per machine per year for latest version on P4 or later

Look at OpenOffice.org instead of Microsoft Office, especially if primary school where they would not need the more advanced features and less susceptibe to macro viruses

putting in a good proxy/firewall / web access programs would limit access to sites that would have viruses - prevention better than cure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I had thought the fee was more like 20 euro per machine per year for latest version on P4 or later

I checked today. It's €5 per machine for XP and Office combined, but that price may only apply to schools designated as disadvantaged. And the licence covers the staff on their home computers.

Advertisement