Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing CMS's

Options
  • 25-09-2006 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭

Hey

I'm currently using Joomla on my site here adn I dunno about it. I just wondering if its an easy thing to move from Joomla to something else or am I using the best and most suitable as it is.

I've quite a few mods installed and don't really want to have to start all over again. Any help appreciated

cheers

baz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Unless the new CMS has an import facility that can pull in content in the current format you are going to have an uphill struggle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Have you looked into other CMS's? What are the benefits, and are they really necessary/worth the trouble?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

nurse_baz wrote:
    Hey

I'm currently using Joomla on my site here adn I dunno about it. I just wondering if its an easy thing to move from Joomla to something else or am I using the best and most suitable as it is.

I've quite a few mods installed and don't really want to have to start all over again. Any help appreciated

cheers

baz

if you move cms's then you're going to loose all your mods. Does the other CMS have the same mods?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

thanks for your input so far lads,

I've started wrighing up changing to another one (Xoops etc etc) and I don't really want to lose everything.

My main thought behind this was I think more of a hosting issue, and after spending some time examining things I'm really considering changing hosting provider. I'm also really looking into buying a professionally made Joomla template as I also feel I've been blaming the CMS on things that aren't its fault. Back in the day, I used to be able to whack things out with Dreamweaver and all was good, but Joomla templates are different and I not so sure of them. SO maybe with a nice clean fresh template the site will be much better.

So now my question changes, as long as the new provider supports Php I'l be able to transfer my Joomla site won't I? I was thinking that I could back up the current site. Move to the new hosting, install Joomla and then install my back up and hey presto, all should be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

mmmm, yes but not quite

make sure you have the right php and mysql version.

Find out if there is a tool for importing joomla-old into joomla-new.

A dump of your database tables from the old database to the new database won't allow you to sync up your db with joomla at all. You'll need to find a utility to do it for you. I'm sure something is available.

• Advertisement

i see, thanks Rollo, this is getting complex
    off to google for me then
    cheers for help so far

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

nurse_baz wrote:
    Hey

cheers

baz
    What is it about joomla or don't like or what?

its official, i'm sticking with Joomla.

my problem with it was mainly down to me feeling quite restricted with what I could do with it and how much leeway you got when using it.

But I'm done some diggin and thinks its maybe me that needs to upgrade my knowledge etc. though saying that I think I'm basically understanding how to get everything switched from one hosting provider to another now.

Thanks to all that helped lads. If anyone want s to add anything else though feel free

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭cianuro

I think Mambo/Joomla gets a fairly hard whack due to how little is known about them.

We used Mambo for most of our sites for years. Only in the past two weeks (Since the release of 4.6) have we moved everything over to Joomla. (Long story, and similar to the one of how Joomla actually came about).

Joomla, once you get the hang of it is VERY easy to modify and write custom components for. Give it the time it deserves and give it a chance. We have been nothing but happy with it.

Our company website (In my sig) uses the latest version of Joomla. Doesn't look like a standard free joomla template does it? Because it's not.

If you are having other issues with it, perhaps you can share. The Joomla support community is great and many others are here to help.

Advertisement