Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call of Juarez

Options
  • 25-09-2006 4:15pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone else has tried this? Its a western fps, made by the guys who did Chrome (not an indication of this game). I have to say its one of the most enjoyable games i've played in quite a while. Some very nice touches, and i love the fact that you have to sneak through a level first, then go through again wih guns blazing. Also some great voice acting, especially Reverend Ray (voice by Marc Alaimo/Gul Dukat i think).

Definatly worth the play if you like fps's or westerns.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I've been playing it since Thursday, got to around episode 7. It's brilliant. I'm still trying to get the best balance of graphics vs. speed, but the game itself is wonderful. Reverend Ray is, quite frankly, teh sex. There is something worryingly satisfying about striding up to an enemy, with a bible in one hand and a gun in the other, reading apocalyptic passages to make him hesitate to shoot, and then shooting him in the face while he's confused.

The bullet time quick draw dealie is fabulous, and makes taking out a dozen enemies before they can reach for their guns and putting your own away before they hit the ground both easy and really, really cool looking. I've even taken to whipping out the bible after moments like that and reading it over them for extra style. :)

The Billy levels are interesting as well, so far. The sneaking isn't up to the levels of Thief et al., but it's quite passable, and there are some really good touches, like
    sneaking around the mine in the middle of a storm, using the thunder as cover for your whip.
    And swinging around on the whip has a very Indiana Jones feel to it, which is never bad. The alternating story thing works really well, and as you said, the voice acting is great. Ray really IS full of fire and brimstone.

Go buy it, it's very cool. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I really loved the showdown sections where you have to pull the mouse down and back up to draw your gun as quickly as possible :D It's the little things that amuse me

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

humanji wrote:
    I really loved the showdown sections where you have to pull the mouse down and back up to draw your gun as quickly as possible :D It's the little things that amuse me

The only thing i dont like about the duel's is the fact that its not included in multiplayer. Wouls have been great to be able to duel your friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

is the sdk available?

A rocket arena style dueling game would be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Yeah I played the multiplayer demo and at 1st I thought it was kinda crappy but then I started to like it. My friend got the full game but my card died so ive to wait till I sort that out before I can play it :(

My friend said it kicks ass aswell though, and yeah when I heard one of the voice actors in his gaf it deffo sounded like the guy who played Gul Dukat from DS9.

great actor! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

does it work with a radeon 9600. The box specifies a 9800 but I only got the 9600 and was tempted to award myself with a copy of it today.

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    does it work with a radeon 9600. The box specifies a 9800 but I only got the 9600 and was tempted to award myself with a copy of it today.

I'd be sceptical if it would work on a 9600. I played it on my x1900xt and i even got a bit of slowdown (but only in the big grassy area's on the
    Mountain climbing
    level). It is a pretty damn tough game on any system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

tried the SP demo and it hammered my poor pc , so no point going any further .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Sorry for the bump, but i've been waiting for the DX10 patch of this game. I finally found one that works on the Euro version of the game. I have to say i'm fairly impressed with how good this game looks, there is a major difference between the DX9 and DX10 version, although it can't be caught in a screen shot, its more the way shadows move and the way the trees sway.

I'm actually enjoying it thus far, and the graphics, whilst not Crysis, are still fairly nice looking. If you haven't played it yet, and want a good DX10 game, try this one out.

Here are some of my screenshots:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

I'm quiet a few Episodes in and I have to say this is probably the most enjoyable game i've played all year. The 2 different characters you play as are different enough to always keep the gameplay interesting, and the storyline, surprisingly for an FPS, is quiet good.

They really have done a good job updating the engine to DX10 as well. In some parts the foliage is so dense it makes my fps choppy, but its only noticable when i'm galloping through the woods on horse back.

I really can't understand why this game hasn't gotten more accolade. Sure it might not be breaking any ground but its fun. I really hope the upgrade to DX10 makes more people give this game a second chance. Plus you could probably pick it up for next to nothing at this stage as the DX10 patch is free.

Some more screens:

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

This looks and sounds brilliant. I might check it out on the 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I don't know what it is, but Call of Juarez really didn't click for me, really clunky. I didn't like it at all. Maybe I'll give it another chance at some point, but my initial impressions were not positive.

koneko wrote: »
    I don't know what it is, but Call of Juarez really didn't click for me, really clunky. I didn't like it at all. Maybe I'll give it another chance at some point, but my initial impressions were not positive.

I found the game steadily gets better and better as you progress. The level where you have to catch the rabbits and get the eagle feather stand out as really excellent due to the large, free roaming landscape.

Plus I love the use of bullet time shooting. Shooting with 2 crosshairs as the rev was definitely something different and needed a few tries before i'd got used to aiming at 2 things at once. But it is so cool being able to unload 2 6-shooters into a handful of rustlers and have your bullet shells hit the ground at the same time they do.

What I also liked was that playing as Billy, you are usually doing stealth missions, but most of the time they don't force you to use stealth. Although not using it can make the level fairly difficult to pass. The first big stealth level where you have to time the lightning as cover for the sound of your whip was excellent. Although I messed up half way through and ended up just legging it, shooting arrows back at them. After that I stopped using stealth unless I had to (as I suck at it :o) and just used the slowmo arrow shooting to take out the hoards of rustlers and ingins :p

EDIT: Also if anyones interested, metacritic user reviews give it 8.4/10 but most of the individual user reviews give it 10/10, a score i'd be likely to give it as, frankly, it gives me pretty much everything i'd want in an FPS. When i'm counting down the minutes until i'm home again and can play some more I know its a good game.

EDIT2: Also in that last picture I posted above, that isn't just background landscape, all that terrain is fully explorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Never liked it. Initially I thought it was pretty cool but when every scene = spot baddy, use slowdown, shoot baddy easily with slowmo and repeat. Yawn... Not much in the way of skill going on there imo.

Actually I haven't been wowed by any shooter since I played Chronicles of Riddick.

You were wowed by Chronicles of Riddick, but not wowed by Half Life 2, Call of Duty 4 or any of the other better FPS titles released since then?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Haven't played CoD4 yet actually. Keep meaning to get around to it.

Didn't like HL2. For me it did all the things I like about FPS's the wrong way. I won't deny that there was polish there but it just never worked for me.

So yeah, CoR is still the last fps that last wowed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Played the demo of this and couldn't even bring myself to finish it it was so bad.
    2nd worst game I've played all year (after DoAX2 which is in a class all of its own).

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Lanfear

I enjoyed Call of Juarez, it was different, some parts of it were really spectacular, climbing the mountain for the feather as L31mr0d mentioned was truly breathtaking at times, shooting the rabbits, the various shoot outs etc. I didn't bother with the slowmo more than a couple of times, but it was great to have the choice to use it in one or two tricky situations. ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I didnt like COJ at all, the shooting missions were ok but the sneaking missions talk about tedious, I didn't finish the game either, had great visuals but gameplay lacked very much, couldn't really reccomend this tbh

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    I didnt like COJ at all, the shooting missions were ok but the sneaking missions talk about tedious, I didn't finish the game either, had great visuals but gameplay lacked very much, couldn't really reccomend this tbh

Nick

but this was one of the few games where its main good point was its story. It has one of the best and grittiest endings to a game i've ever played.

ENDING SPOILER WARNING
    Having to kill your estranged dead beat father after he tells you he sent his goons to kill your step dad and rape and kill your mother

I loved it tbh. I'm not the biggest fan of westerns but this game has shown me how well a game company can pull off a western and how there is a big gap in the market for them.

I've heard the Xbox 360 version has control issues and that the DX9 version looks fairly dated. I'd recommend only playing this game in DX10 on the PC. It has to be one of the best DX10 conversions i've seen yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I loved it tbh. I'm not the biggest fan of westerns but this game has shown me how well a game company can pull off a western and how there is a big gap in the market for them.

You might want to check out Gun if you liked Call of Juarez. I really liked them both and while Call of Juarez is more polished I actually preferred Gun. I definitely think there should be more Western based games.

woooo232 wrote: »
    You might want to check out Gun if you liked Call of Juarez. I really liked them both and while Call of Juarez is more polished I actually preferred Gun. I definitely think there should be more Western based games.

i'll give Gun a look. It's only 2 years old so it shouldn't look too bad. I'm going to be playing Riddick and Condemned so maybe i'll add Gun to the list of golden oldies I should never of overlooked playing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Wow old thread, anyway this what I can only describe as an abomination of a game was brought into the house(not by me) couple of months back and man this is probably the worst game I've played in a long long time,don't want get into all its faults but its the first time I've ever contemplated taking a slegehammer to a game

(that being said I still stuck it out to the end to finish it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

I remember playing this a while back. It has good points, landscape etc. Not am amazing game tho.

But sadly for it, its seuqel, and any further sequels, will always be over-shadowed by Red Dead Remption now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Never played the original, but have recently gotten back into BiB and am really enjoying it.. Multiplayer isn't bad either

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Well when I played it reminded me of a ps1 game,so frustrating.

Advertisement