Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting 2 Computers

Options
  • 25-09-2006 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

hello

i was wondering if any1 can help me here.

i have desktop and laptop cpu's
    i want to connect together.

i have them connected with a cross over cable.
    Network ip on desktop set to 192.168.1.1
    Network ip on laptop set to 192.168.1.2

network group name the same.

what do i do next to share files

can u please help

when i try open "tex" the network group it freezes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Can you ping each machine from the other?

Have you restarted each machine after joining them to the workgroup "tex"?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

First right click on whatever folder you wish to share. Then go to properties and sharing, and select for the available file to be shared.

Then go into My Network places --->Entire network---->Microsoft Windows Network and select the machine that is hosting the shared files.

Copy and paste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 texcon

yes restated

how do i ping

Ps both are running latest Xp

Go to Start=>Run=>Type "cmd" and run.

In the box that appears type "ping 192.168.1.1" from the "192.168.1.2" computer and vice versa.

If that works do what krazy_8s said.

ping timed out

??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

That means you aren't getting a response from either machine, something is not setup correctly. Did you use the network setup wizard to set up the network?

Did you make the cross over cable yourself?

When you right click "My Computer" from the desktop and go to properties. Under the compter name tab select "change". Is the Workgroup in there "tex" on both computers?

well

making progress re ran wizard setup

can now ping from desktop 192.168.1.2 to laptop 192.168.1.1
    and can view shared laptop files on desktop

But can not ping the desktop from the laptop or view desktop files on laptop

Plus i have to disconect cross over cable cos wireless connection wont work on laptop when it is connected. i have set the wireless ip to auto

tanx

ps i bought cable for 15€ in pc world

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Moving to net/comms

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

texcon wrote:
    Dude! I bought the same crossover cable from PC World in Blanch last Sunday from their 'bargain table' zone for €10 with €5 discounted!

Check your TCP/IP settings - subnet mask should be set to 255.255.255.0 and make sure you have the proper default gateway IP entered.

Also make sure that both machines are in the same Workgroup for file and print sharing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

texcon wrote:
    well

making progress re ran wizard setup

can now ping from desktop 192.168.1.2 to laptop 192.168.1.1
    and can view shared laptop files on desktop

But can not ping the desktop from the laptop or view desktop files on laptop

Plus i have to disconect cross over cable cos wireless connection wont work on laptop when it is connected. i have set the wireless ip to auto

tanx

What's the laptops wireless connection connected to?

Set the ethernet interfaces on both laptop and desktop to Automatic. There's a reason that's the default. Don't set static IP addresses - they cause more problems on home networks than they ever solve. The two interfaces will find one another automatically, and you can use the computers Name, rather than the number, to connect between them.

Check your TCP/IP settings - subnet mask should be set to 255.255.255.0 and make sure you have the proper default gateway IP entered.
    You can set the Gateway to anything you like - when you only have two computers at either end of a single cable, there is no "gateway" for them to send any traffic through.

Foxwood wrote:
    What's the laptops wireless connection connected to?

Set the ethernet interfaces on both laptop and desktop to Automatic. There's a reason that's the default. Don't set static IP addresses - they cause more problems on home networks than they ever solve. The two interfaces will find one another automatically, and you can use the computers Name, rather than the number, to connect between them.

wirless laptop connected to eircom netopia wireless router. it dosn't connect proberly when the network (either net) card is enabled the local area connection that is

how do i set the eithernet interfaces?

When i try to change windows firewall i get a message saying there is a unknown problem with it and it cant be displayed

i'm gona rebot the cpu to factory settings

and start from scratch :))

texcon wrote:
    wirless laptop connected to eircom netopia wireless router. it dosn't connect proberly when the network (either net) card is enabled the local area connection that is

how do i set the eithernet interfaces?
    The same way you set the static IP addresses. Just select Automatic instead of typing in a 192.168 address. (Right-click on Network Places, select Properties, right click on Local Area Network and select Properties, double-click on Internet Protocol).

Why don't you just connect the PC to the router? It's very function in life is to facilitate communication between computers.

When you plug an ethernet cable into a Windows XP ethernet interface, by default it sends out a request for an IP address. If it doesn't get a response to that request, it makes one up. The thing is, though, if there's another computer on the other end of a crossover cable, and it also makes up it's own address, they'll both be able to see one another, and talk to one another. You don't need to know the numbers that they assign each other, because they both announce their names on the network, and you can connect from one to the other by name, rather than by IP address.

If you start mucking about with static IP addresses you might get it to work, but there's a good chance that you'll screw something up (like picking a subnet that's already being used for something else). So just leave XP to work the way it was designed to work - with automatic addresses.

Thanks for that

heres one for u

i have desktop connected to router via ethernet and the laptop connected to the same router via wireless. can i set up a network for the 2 to talk to each
    other this way.

both cpu's can connect to internet no problems.

if so how

thanks again

PS tried setting the ip on auto but got no connection or limited connection message which didn't work either

texcon wrote:
    i have desktop connected to router via ethernet and the laptop connected to the same router via wireless. can i set up a network for the 2 to talk to each
    other this way.
    Yes
    both cpu's can connect to internet no problems.

if so how
    Exactly as you did above. Check the IP addresses of both machines by opening a command prompt and typing IPCONFIG.
    PS tried setting the ip on auto but got no connection or limited connection message which didn't work either
    With just 2 machines connected by a cross-over cable, open a command propt, check the IP address with IPCONFIG and then ping the other machines IP address (that you got when you ran IPCONFIG on it). You should also be able to ping using the Computer Name.

:)

Have it working now first with cable and then with wireless

Rebooted desktop to factory settings and re ran wizard

set ip to 192.168.1.1 on desktop (ethernet to router)
    192.168.1.2 on laptop (wireless to router)

must have been the desktop messed up windows fire wall that was fecking everything up cos everything worked as it should when desktop was rebooted

added folders in my network places as

\\desktop\hardrive

thanks for all the help lads :)

Advertisement